Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Go Pro Alternatives

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Juts a quick question, I have decided that I would like to have a ski camera on top of my helmet for this years ski trips. I was looking at the obvious "Go-Pro" cameras, and I really just want something basic as I will literally use it once/twice a year. The Go Pro Hero I found was £94 which I am debating, however if there was an alternative for like 50-70 quid, I would rather buy that, as like I said I literally would use it once a year. So are there any other companies that do such cameras, and if so any you would recommend?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have a ContourRoam2, I'd recommend it. It's lighter and good availability of mounts (especially since Contour was bought over recently and put back on the market). It's a 'pencil' style cam so generally used on the side of the helmet as opposed to on top of helmet. You can easily get an adapter to fit any GoPro mount too.

Other option would be to look at the chinese GoPro knock-off: SJ4000. Gets good reviews, and a good user base online using it.

Both should be available for your price budget
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've got a Contour similar to @shredder and I'd choose it over the Box-on-top style cameras anytime. Nice feature is that the camera is rotatable 270 degrees within the housing so you can straighten it up regardless of the angle the camera body is fixed at, without having to worry about bendy mountings.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@shredder, @Richard_Sideways, What is the low temperature performance of your ContourRoam2s like? My Dogcam R+ just gives up if the temp is much below 2C, so not much use in the mountains. Even an external battery pack does not help. This is my second, having had a replacement for the same problem.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@cad99uk, official figure is -15°C. I've not taken mine down that far, probably about -10°C plus chill, but never had a problem. Battery life suffers a bit but not too bad, normally will last a days recording. One benefit of it is the slide-to-record button kills the power completely when not recording so you save battery life as its not in standby like some cams.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Richard_Sideways, Thanks for that. So before our next trip: new jacket for Mrs cad, new board for Mrs cad and new camera for me. Happy days.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

http://youtube.com/v/dxfpgIyZn4o

This was taken with a Kodak Playfull which I picked up on Amazon for £70, might have been superseded now. Pretty good little camera for the money (Youtube scales down the resolution quite a bit on the uploading) and takes quite a bit of abuse and bad weather. In this video I chose to test the sturdiness of the camera by dragging it through a hedge at 30mph
http://youtube.com/v/1lL13aOCZd8 Suffers a bit on this one from motion blur but it wasn't a great mounting and it was going fairly quickly by that point.

Another chap uses a GoPro rip off that he got from some website called 'bang good' (I live alone, but before I clicked on that site I made sure to check over my shoulder and open it in an incognito window!). Seems to perform okay for video but the sound is rubbish.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That Clay Pigeon lap was in reverse?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yeah, for car sprints they run it in reverse. I think it's a safety thing, if they ran it the right way round then the first corner would be downright dangerous for cars Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy