Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What a tool!

Poster: A snowHead
clarky999 wrote:
You've all missed the most important point.

The guy and his mates are on snow blades. Deserves all he gets!

That was my thought , should have punched him in the mouth.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The overall backlash is good, but it's still sad how many of those commenting on the youtube thread think the skier had the right of way, or the beginners were to blame / shouldn't have been there etc.

Sorry, not the skier, the blader. Those are most definitely blades.

Yes the instructor's reaction is over the top but that doesn't excuse the blader, and it's even worse that he can't realise he was wrong.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You can clearly see there's an inexperienced class in front of you but instead of slowing you decide to try and pass them and don't realise you have done anything wrong..... for once I'm with the ESF instructor, though if I'd been him I might have let you impale yourself on my ski poles .... what a cock
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Are we sure he was an ESF instructor, I thought they were supposed to block the whole width of the piste, this group were only using the left half...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That run wasn''t so narrow, I can't understand why he didn't just go to the right, as beginners tend to avoid ledges and would stick to the left , so he could have gone on in piece , I think he was avoiding the ledge himself.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Fair play to Jean Claude ESF though I'd I've been tempted to lay a clothesline like Shaun Edwards on Brad Fittler. Taffy blader isn't the sharpest tool in the drawer and if he'd been any good would have evaded up the bank or been taking the right hand overtake.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Fair play to Jean Claude ESF though I'd I've been tempted to lay a clothesline like Shaun Edwards on Bradley Clyde. Taffy blader isn't the sharpest tool in the drawer and if he'd been any good would have evaded up the bank or been taking the right hand overtake.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We should post a reply on his vid page and direct him here so we can roast him like a little welsh lamb properly.

Oh that would be so much fun.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Who is the tool? I am completely with the instructor. This will make me MORE likely to get esf lessons for my kids.

If it were my kids getting knocked over I would buy that instructor a drink and hire him for private lessons for my kids the next day
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@chocksaway, I'm a big fan of your posts. Please reconsider your opinion on this!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I cant believe what a twonk this cretin is!

We have all made a few mistakes and skied a bit too fast where we should not, but the least we can do is apologize and ask for forgiveness.

If this guy thinks he's got a God given right to ski like an @rse down a narrow cat track full of waddling beginners he deserves to have a good hefty ESF ski boot in the knackers followed by at least a night in a drafty alpine cell.

He should hang his GoPro in shame.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The FIS (International Ski Federation) has established ten rules of conduct for skiers and snowboarders. They are:

1 Respect- Do not endanger others
2 Control- Adapt the manner and speed of your skiing to your ability and to the general conditions on the mountain
3 Choice of Route- The skier or boarder in front has priority. Give them space.
4 Overtaking- Leave plenty of space when overtaking slower skiers or boarders.
5 Entering and Starting- Look up and down the mountain each time before starting or entering a marked run
6 Stopping- Only stop at the edge of a piste or where you can be easily seen. Try not to stop in the middle of a piste or you may be skied into!
7 Climbing- When climbing up and down, always stay to the side of the slope
8 Signs- Obey all signs and markings- they are for your safety
9 Assistance- In case of accidents, provide help and alert the rescue services
10 Identification- Carry identification about who you are with you at all times. All those involved in an accident, including witness should exchange names and addresses.

I can see at least 3/4 of the rules that the bloke on the blades is breaking.........open and shut case in my book

one of the first things I was ever taught and 1 of the most important skills i think is to ski within the width of your own skis and at the very edge of the slope (often gets you the best snow)....this guy clearly does not have this skill!!

as for the punch....mmmmhhhh a bit out of order but i think it was more a thrown arm than an actual punch
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think on the skiing (not on any vocals) you're all being slightly unfair, or perhaps you're just better. Once he makes the call to go left because right is blocked by 2 guys going away from each other then he's already running out of room, to then get spun into the second person is unfortunate but due to the original being shut out and spun.

No doubt you're all experts, but accidents happen, the instructor potentially overreacted and the guy should have apologised i agree. But he shouldn't be strung up like this thread suggests...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A much better scribe wrote Much Ado About Nothing - yep not in complete control but hardly reckless - sounded a bit icy for those short ski's - he didn't really take two out - 1st span him a bit - i've no doubt he was/is a bit of a kn@b - but I'm sure we have all fancied ourselves before we should have done rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You need to read his replies when he was told that he was out of control, he blamed those down hill from him and in fairness if he was as experienced as he said he was he would have been able to go between those skiiers, or just slow down, if he slowed down he would have no problem getting to the right and over take them all at the same time, so I wouldn't say it was much ado about nothing, the lad never said sorry to any of those he cut up, nor did he slow down when he saw he wasn't managing to pass them very well, the ski instructor was standing in that spot, the blader also was passing too close to him, doubt it was a punch more of a hold on there buddy, but the lad was going to fast and couldn't stop,
latest report
If he did that to a group that I was in I would do exactly what the ESF instructor did. He was going too fast for his ability, made a wrong choice and couldn't bail out, careless error of judgement, stop and say sorry and no harm done. But to ski into someone, knock them over, and not even stop!

Idiot who deserved a slap
snow report
It of course happens that sometimes we will have accidents but to continue on in the same reckless manner is as bad as the cutting someone off. I was as a beginner totally taken out by a boarder it was very painful, and he didn't say sorry, or try to help me up, just took off again and later hit another person on the slope. I was terrified of the sound of a snowboard scraping ice for years since. I got taken out last year too where one lad just couldn't turn uphill and used me as a stop , he was very sorry and embarrassed and of course I wasn't cross he was only learning, the difference in both was that the second fella knew he made a mistake, was sorry to take someone else out , and was willing to be responsible for that.
snow conditions
@Levi215, accidents do happen, but this could easily have been avoided if the blader had approached the learners in control and able to slow down. If it isn't (and obviously it wasn't) safe to overtake then you don't overtake. He was 3-400m from the piste opening out and didn't have to overtake at all. If have seen myself snowplough behind a snake of beginners on a piste that is one piste basher wide until it is safe to pass. He was totally in the wrong.
ski holidays
I'm not making excuses for the lady's front bottom, but I don't ever recall a ski school drumming the FIS code into me. I just (hopefully) picked it up from reading it on various signs/leaflets around resorts - probably only after I was old enough to be taking kids skiing with me.

It doesn't really surprise me that a youngster who has only just started skiing (sorry, an "experienced skier" of 5 years/weeks) doesn't really understand what his responsibilities are ... and after all he's not only Welsh, he's skiing in France as well wink

I blame the ESF for everything including my obvious lack of skiing ability.
snow report
That instructor should be embarrassed throwing a punch like that.

A proper stiff arm would have worked much better; don't they teach them anything
snow conditions
@Mosha Marc,
Cut him some slack, he's French after all. He skis like a god but he should have minions to do his dirty work for him (can I volunteer?).
ski holidays
Come on chaps, sure he was a tool. But assaulting him (for that is what the punch is) is completely out of order.

What he needed was a telling off, not someone trying to hit him. I am going to reiterate, I am not standing up for his skill (or lack of it) at negotiating a group of beginners but am pretty disgusted at the instructor. Poor judgement at best and very poor handling of the situation. He's just shown his students it is ok to hit someone who skis out of control.
snow report
@Rishie,
I don't think it was a "punch", I think the instructor was trying to apprehend/reprimand the lady's front bottom that decimated his class. It was a clumsy attempt, but it was (to me at least) understandable in the circumstances. The blader obviously still has no idea that he was in the wrong. He still needs some "education".
ski holidays
@musher, that he is a lady's front bottom is not in doubt. It still looks like an attempt to punch rather than to apprehend but that's just my opinion from seeing the video a couple of times.
snow report
@Rishie,
Looked like a bit of French pique to me - a bit of a "boff" moment. I don't see it as a serous assault, but then I did play rugby wink

I suspect that this is probably the first time in hs life that the blader has ever been held accountable for his own actions and he didn't like it.
snow conditions
@musher, it isn't serious assault but I wouldn't be best pleased if somebody tried to hit me if they were unhappy with the way I was skiing. Would you be ok with someone trying to give you a "boff" whilst skiing/ snowboarding?
ski holidays
Dear ESF

This is how you stop someone.

youtube.com/v/oGwTTgQ_3XE
ski holidays
@Rishie,
Depends if I deserved it or not - and I think I'm better able to decide that than our young blader friend wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@musher, then you sir, are a better man than I. snowHead I don't like being touched at the best of times, let alone punched! Wink
latest report
@Rishie,
I've been "educated" on several occasions. You either learn to accept it or get out of harms way Toofy Grin

The real problem is that this lady's front bottom still doesn't know he was in the wrong. Yes the ESF guy shouldn't have "boffed" him but as is pointed out in the video comments, if he hadn't he would still think he was in the right. At least now he knows it is open to debate.
snow report
@musher, +1. It makes you wonder how many others we are all sharing the piste with that also see no wrong in their actions.

On a side note re: being "educated", it reminds me of a time when the demolition boys came with a load of salvaged slate, they are a fairly raggle-taggle crew. One of then was sporting the best/worst black eye I have ever seen. I asked him what happened and he said "I was talking when I should have been listening" Twisted Evil
latest report
@dode, @musher, isn't that the point, that the way the instructor went about it was totally wrong... go after him and when he stops explain to him what he's done wrong. Putting your arm out to stop him isn't going to get any result and only inflame the situation to posts like this....

As the guy still things he's in the right (from what everyone's said) you seem to be advocating beating it into him.. why not just explain it without the aggression shown and no doubt there will be more long term benefit, i.e. the guy may learn.
snow conditions
I think that is exactly what happened after the camera stopped rolling. The instructor was coming down to him still shouting. Don't think it would have ended there. Unless the blader hightailed it outta there.
Not advocating any violence, and don't really think there was any violence in the clip.
snow report
....apart from maybe a couple of beginners being assaulted by a reckless fool
snow conditions
dode wrote:
....apart from maybe a couple of beginners being assaulted by a reckless fool

Seriously, i think that's laughable... they're weren't assaulted and its hard to say it was reckless given the speed difference. Maybe he's a fool and he's certainly in the bucket of the world revolves around me and needs to learn some kind of common courtesy but i bet he's the same in a car.
ski holidays
@Levi215, I imagine it was more frustration than aggression, and the ski instructor wanted to stop him because he feared he wouldn't catch up to him farther down the slope as his class were not going fast enough. He couldn't give chase because he would have to leave his class and they may not be able to manage the rest of the slope. He probably put his hand out to stop the blader who was going too fast, and too close to the instructor who had already been standing there, but the blader kept going. I know if I were to pass inside someone standing that close in a tight area I would have slowed down, and if I didn't want to slow down I would go up the side of the slope. I have met lads like that on the piste and often watched them cut beginners off, I have often thought Id love to give them a flea in the ear, so in this lads case he got one, and maybe decided to cop on and ski with more skill.
ski holidays
Just in case the guy ever reads this thread.

Look at the FIS rules. If you hit another skier / boarder from behind it's your fault (unless it's someone who sets off into your path without giving you enough time to avoid them e.g. Setting off from the side of the piste without looking uphill first). We all make mistakes - the right response is to stop, make sure the person you hit is OK and apologise.

An experienced skier would have probably done one of the following ...

a) Skied off the side of the piste to get past.
b) Taken the speed out, waited behind and passed the group while they were skiing a wider section.

Even if you are good enough to use the learner skiers as moving human slalom poles (you're not by the way), you shouldn't as it phases them.

Not condoning the French ski instructor but I understand why he did what he did. Be careful, there are people about who can punch properly and if you were to do the same to their children your Gopro footage would end with a thud.

The best thing you could do (after apologising) is to take some lessons so next time you have the skills to deal with the situation.
snow report
@Levi215, it was meant tongue in cheek....
ski holidays
DB wrote:
Just in case the guy ever reads this thread.

Look at the FIS rules. If you hit another skier / boarder from behind it's your fault (unless it's someone who sets off into your path without giving you enough time to avoid them e.g. Setting off from the side of the piste without looking uphill first). We all make mistakes - the right response is to stop, make sure the person you hit is OK and apologise.

An experienced skier would have probably done one of the following ...

a) Skied off the side of the piste to get past.
b) Taken the speed out, waited behind and passed the group while they were skiing a wider section.

Even if you are good enough to use the learner skiers as moving human slalom poles (you're not by the way), you shouldn't as it phases them.

Not condoning the French ski instructor but I understand why he did what he did. Be careful, there are people about who can punch properly and if you were to do the same to their children your Gopro footage would end with a thud.

The best thing you could do (after apologising) is to take some lessons so next time you have the skills to deal with the situation.

Best summary of the issues IMO. I was in a similar situation several years ago and managed to ski up the bank at the side to avoid the beginner. I would not have described myself as experienced but I knew it was my responsibility to avoid a collision and I was more careful on cat-tracks after that - lesson learned. Guy definitely needs to take some lessons and a long hard look at himself.
snow conditions
Jesus, this forum could roll if it was square.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy