Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What a tool!

Poster: A snowHead
Scarpa wrote:
I back up the 99% of sane people here... the moviemaker is both dangerous to others and damned inconsiderate. If he made a mistake then stop immediately and apologise, but he was so much up his own backside that this, combined with his lack of skill to stick 6 inches from the piste edge, made him fully deserving of the instructor attempting to stop him.

IMHO, rather than a hand block, a knife slash to the outside of his left thigh muscle would have left a nice trail off the side of the piste for rabid marmottes to follow and devourer him.

Well said and good of you speak up for the forgotten 1% wink
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't think either look to good in this. The skier was in the wrong, but the instructor didn't cover himself in glory.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh... I forgot to say which side of the divide I'm on Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Ricklovesthepowder, Very true, but in the heat of the moment, if you were taking a class of beginners out, saw someone ski into two of them and then ski off without stopping you may just attempt to stop them via the instant red mist effect.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thecramps wrote:
If you ask me the ESF guy c0cked up.

His stance was all wrong and he didn't get enough power in his follow through.

Madeye-Smiley

French ski instructor - lover not a fighter.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm with Scarpa on this.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm still waiting for fullenglish to come back and put his side again....
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jbob wrote:
I'm with Scarpa on this.

Not so sure about that. The situation didn't really call for a knife - perhaps Mr ESF should have showed GoPro one reason why we carry poles?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've watched the original video a few times now, This instructor seems way out of line to me.

The blader is not coming in at a reckless speed. He avoids the first skier easily and then makes the wrong choice, a quick turn to the right between the next two skiers and he'd be home free. He does not look like a vastly experienced skier either, just a guy trying to catch up with his friends.

He has made a mistake, which as you can see when he turns back after the instructor punches him has not left anyone sprawling on the floor. He could have made a quick apology as he was going through but I think was doing his very best to stay on his feet and avoid everyone else.

A little bit of tolerance and understanding go a long way, I think a waived finger was about all he deserved.

I'm now going into hiding before I get shot down too much Smile

Sad Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
I don't think either look to good in this. The skier was in the wrong, but the instructor didn't cover himself in glory.

Oh come on. lighten up? ESF guy was spot on I reckon. Some people don't respond to reason, or "a quiet word". The guy was an ar$e and deserved a little slap, and lets face it, that's all he got. But I bet he thought twice next time he came across such a group.

If the ESF guy had actually decked him, I might be with you, but I saw nothing wrong in this.

Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@thecramps, +1 Instructors must see so many stupid antics
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Let's face it most of us will struggle to go through a skiing career, particularly if we inevitably have to ski on cat tracks and home runs, without having a slower skier in front of us shut the door by eking every last inch out of the width of the run before they turn. The measure of whether you should be gambling for that gap is how you react, you should be capable of full anchor or prepared for an off piste excursion.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Dave of the Marmottes, +1
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Waffle, we had a private powder lesson in Flaine a few years back, and an experienced skier gave our instructor lip for taking us into the bowl, but she chased him and gave him such a bolloking he apologised to us. The gist was that he wasn't born brilliant, and therefore everyone had a right to learn.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Let's face it most of us will struggle to go through a skiing career, particularly if we inevitably have to ski on cat tracks and home runs, without having a slower skier in front of us shut the door by eking every last inch out of the width of the run before they turn. The measure of whether you should be gambling for that gap is how you react, you should be capable of full anchor or prepared for an off piste excursion.

Moreover it takes a particularly dim bulb, after cocking it up like that, to post a video of one's fuckwittery on UTube.
ski holidays
@Dave of the Marmottes, +2
They looked very beginner (looks like the first skier fell), so can understand why instructor was so PO'd.
latest report
@thecramps, Absolutely and people forget they were all in the same position at one stage and should be kind towards nervous learners.
ski holidays
The only tw*t in the video is the person who took it. Ignorant a*se.

It's always the duty of the overtaking skier to make sure you leave enough space for the slower skier - end of.

The ESF instructor was quite restrained. It's a shame the Gendarmes couldn't have enlightened the OP on the FIS Rules that would be used to apportion blame in collisions.
ski holidays
I'm in agreement with the majority - uphill skier at fault every time (bar the starting off/joining piste without looking up).

The guy nearly got my sympathy, we've all made bad calls, but where he lost me was describing himself as an expert skier and repeatedly asserting that he was in the right and the beginner had "cut him off". At that point he got categorised as a giant buttplug.
snow report
Yay look - I escaped the profanity filter.
snow report
cockwomble also seems to work
snow conditions
Isn't it completely obvious he should passed on the right and there was plenty of room to do so? Expert skier my ****

Collision = bad, failing to stop to check those he hit are ok = inexcusable, posting it on the web = dim witted beyond belief.
ski holidays
@rogg, good word!
snow report
ansta1 wrote:
I'm still waiting for fullenglish to come back and put his side again....

Sorry, had to leave, there's beginners to buzz and whatnot.
ski holidays
I'm concerned at the number of posts on here supporting violent retribution as a means of solving anything.

So we have a 17 year old that thinks themselves a skiing superhero and a know-all. Nothing new there!! Albeit the truth is that the blader was totally ignorant, inexperienced and incompetent.

That said, there was only one relatively minor coming together. No skier fell - you can see when the camera pans back up the slope.

The ski instructor was a mature professional and should have held himself together.
Hitting out at someone merely because they acted incompetently is never acceptable.
latest report
The individual is clearly a Be Nice please!.
snow conditions
@under a new name, trouble is he thinks he's a Toofy Grin eh?!

On a sort of related note my OH once got flattened in a hit and run back in the day 10 years or so ago when she was quite a timid skier, she was doing a wide snaking arc at the edge of a really wide empty fast blue in Tsoumaz in Verbier. They buzzed her, ran over her skis, got it wrong and hit her travelling at about 35-40kph and she ended up on the floor and very shook up, could have been very nasty and she suffered a loss of confidence from it. She laid on the floor, I checked she was OK, a friend of ours stayed with her and I took off after the yoofs. Again snowbladers.....I caught up with them around the next corner or two in the trees and they were Swiss locals about 17-18 years old and laughing their heads off. I don't mind admitting one of them wasn't laughing after another 5 seconds and neither was my bent pole unfortunately.... it was clearly done on purpose, he'll have thought about it next time he got chance I'm sure. They scarpered quickly......not proud but hey they had it coming!

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sat 20-12-14 13:26; edited 3 times in total
latest report
I like buttplug, but I'm going with cockwomble. Apart from everything else, before he hit the first skier there looked to be a perfect off-piste line to avoid a collision.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ray Zorro wrote:
I'm concerned at the number of posts on here supporting violent retribution as a means of solving anything.

This sort of thing always brings out the keyboard warriors with their stories/fantasies of teaching some 'tool' a lesson with a commanding and decisive display of violence.

It's all tremendously male and macho Laughing
ski holidays
@Ray Zorro, I don't think it was a serious punch - pretty well impossible on skis anyway - just a flick (admittedly of the sort that would see a premiership footballer on the receiving end do a passable imitation of having been hit by a truck). The ESF guy clearly didn't nail him properly when he caught up, so I think he was mildly impulsive under provocation, not violent by disposition.
snow report
@laundryman, Sounded pretty solid, especially when compared to the contact with the other skier.
ski holidays
@red 27, if that was levied at me I'll take it, folk like that need to know it's not acceptable behaviour, I guess you'd go and have a quiet word eh?
ski holidays
It's like those twits on the motorway that sit on your back bumper flashing you to get out of the way when you have 5 cars in front of you.[/quote]

Not BMW drivers are they?

Apologies, I just take the micky out of a lot of my mates who drive Beemers, like they are like sheep, they just keep going back to the same dealership & buy another BMW...boring!!

Funny thing is I looked at buying one a few years ago, couldn't bring myself to go through with it in the end, shoulders not broad enough to take the stick I would have got snowHead
snow report
agw wrote:
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:

Moreover it takes a particularly dim bulb, after cocking it up like that, to post a video of one's fuckwittery on UTube.

Couldn't have said it any better, complete knobhead for posting it in the 1st place.Embarassed

Takes a real man to acknowledge he's made a mistake, ok, I know it's difficult for any man to own up to not being perfect, but there you go.

However I don't approve of the behaviour of the instructor, he should know better.

My interpretation is uphill skier is responsible & should act accordingly...end of.

I got took out when a group of English people decided it was a good idea to stop & wait for their group to catch up or whatever they were doing, right in the middle of the piste, which was busy. The dick actually stuck his pole out to bring me down & thought it funny, laughing at me! I had it all on camera! I shouted at the prick, all he said was you were too fast/close & his mates all chipped in with their opinion...aggressively. I told them they should have more sense & stop at the edge, but hey, they know better. BTW I was ski-ing with a qualified instructor, not working, on holiday with us who also gave them a bollocking, total waste of time, they thought it was fun to act like complete idiots, takes all sorts I guess.
ski holidays
@michaelbury17, I'm a little unsure of what happened to you. They had stopped, so I guess you must have been the uphill skier, and he tripped you up with his 12 cm long pole, so you must have been close!
ski holidays
@michaelbury17, Tends to be Audi drivers these days wink . Giving stick to BMW drivers is so boring Toofy Grin
snow report
I think the guy on the blades is irresponsible and needs to take a good look at himself but for the instructor to lift his hand is unproffesional and not the behaviour expected of a professional. I don't see how the instructor helped or calmed the situation.
ski holidays
jbob wrote:
@michaelbury17, I'm a little unsure of what happened to you. They had stopped, so I guess you must have been the uphill skier, and he tripped you up with his 12 cm long pole, so you must have been close!

Bet he drives a Porsche too to make up for his lengthy pole.
latest report
jbob wrote:

It was a deliberate act to bring me down, he leant out with his pole, the piste was quite busy but I was going around them, the camera doesn't lie, unfortunately I only viewed it later on, thats when I could see it was a deliberate action to take me out...nasty little s**t Mad
ski holidays
halfhand wrote:
@michaelbury17, Tends to be Audi drivers these days wink . Giving stick to BMW drivers is so boring Toofy Grin

Fair point, but I have to admit out of 12 of us, 9 drive beemers & when they change their cars they all go bleeting to the local BM dealer Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy