Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Just to update you...

Poster: A snowHead
...exasperation continues to be expressed on the SCGB website on a daily basis. Intelligent sociable people with a love for their club continue to voice their frustration at the loss of their friends and discussions.

...the number of SCGB members who have put their names to Jayne Durham's petition, demanding restoration of open access for SCGB non-members, has grown to 70. [In perspective, the number of SCGB members who attended the 2003 AGM last November was 49]

....The number of members of this forum [a statistic usefully provided from 'Memberlist' top right' has grown to over 130.

....There has been no official response on the SCGB site to either Jayne Durham's petition, or the hundreds of postings giving lovingly reasoned argument for the restoration of open access.

....Each day the threads and postings created by SCGB non-members (many of whom now reside here) drop out of the SCGB forum to the archives. But that intellectual property has now, apparently, been 'acquired' by the SCGB for its members only. That, and I speak as an SCGB member since 1962, is not acceptable.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
David, I wonder whether the ski club forums would ever be the same again, even if they did reopen them. Most people seem to be settling in nicely here.

Personally I think that the whole episode is a shame, and hope that the ski club does recover from it. They obviously had reasons for taking the decision that they did......we just don't know if they are "genuine" or "deliberate".

Hopefully a resolution will be reached soon.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the update.
There were lots of discussions with members and non members giving feedback on what the club should stand for/promote. Thats how a club should work - not directives from on high. It will be interesting to see if the council will actually listen to its members in response to this situation - if they don't the club's days are numbered in this digital age...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There's no reason for the SCGB Council not to reverse their decision and incorporate something like the excellent software seen on this site, with a moderation policy determined by SCGB members as required.

I shall be handing a letter to SCGB President and Chairman Sally Cartwright OBE tonight. For those who don't know her, she is the publishing director of Hello! magazine and therefore knows something about the importance of circulation and readership interests.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David

Good luck this evening - look forward to hearing about any reaction tomorrow.

Lawrence
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
David, I know you have very strong and long-founded loyalties to the Club, as an institution, and I have only been a member for less than 6 months, but I am beginning to wonder if it is ever going to be the type of Club within which I will ever feel comfortable.

Those members of Council who have put their heads above the parapet and responded to our comments on the forum have all shown themselves to be out of touch and reactionary, and we clearly do not have the same view of the Club’s “raison d’etre”.

Mark Ogilvie’s recent statement that he does not agree that minutes of Council/AGM meetings should be available to members was really the final straw.

I guess you would suggest that it is therefore all the more important that we stay with the Club and attempt to bring about change from within, but I am getting the feeling more and more that this is how it has always been, and that resistance is futile. The Club may be a democratic organisation on paper, but in reality I sense that it (or its management at least) is nothing more than a self-perpetuating oligarchy.

Do you have any ideas as to how, realistically, we might be able to effect change?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David, thank you for your efforts and the efforts of the other members. I have been a member for a short period. It was only partly the decision to exclude non-members from the forum that was my problem. My major issues was how it was doneie without warning or consultation. the suggestion by Neil (Council Member) that the consultation was taking place after the event through the member's only forum was nonsensical. Further, the actual value of the forum was reduced enormously in one move. The information that non-members contributed was no less appreciated nor useful simply because they did not have a SCGB membership card.
I doubt that I will be posting on the SCGB site again and have cancelled my Direct debit, although my membership should not lapse until November. they have certainly lost one member through their actions.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It might have to involve a judicial review, the cost of which I do not know. One of the central problems exposed by this affair is the wholesale change brought about by the Memorandum and Articles of Association (which actually replaced much more benign 'club rules') instituted a few years ago by a tiny minority of members who voted, but who were n the dark because the the papers had not been distributed to them.

That was a pretty extraordinary turn of events. I'd love to know what a judge would make of it.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I guess the way forward for ski club members is to try and get themselves elected onto council. (I'm presuming it's a democratic process?) That way, change really can happen from within.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
David,
We had much the same problem at our Golf Club (owned by the members)
Apathy from the younger members who had other demands on their time and the "Blue rince brigade" who had nothing else to do.
Result
Out of touch management.

Example
"Shorts allowed before 6pm in the clubhouse but must be worn with Long hose or sports socks predominately white and covering the ankle."

With deckshoes??????????
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
From my legal experience, judicial review is an extremely costly business. It is also usually very time consuming. I really can't believe that the Council cannot detect the ill feeling they have generated.
Are they still going down the route that only a tiny number of the 27,000 or so members actually use the Forum, so it doesn't matter if we upset those who do?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Elizabeth, I'm sure you're right, but just how easy is that going to be? If we look at this situation dispassionately, we (the disaffacted members of SCGB) are tiny in number compared with the overall Club membership. I'm quite sure that the ruling elite have a few block votes up their sleeves - in my experience oligarchies like this always have ways and means to ensure their survival. Sorry for being so pessimistic - bad morning! Sad
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I don't know which route they're going down, Peter, but I'm pretty sure it has a gaping crevasse a few kilometres ahead. Let's hope the avalanche of complaints promotes some common sense.

Any other snow and skiing metaphors for this situation welcome.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DG - good to have tracked you down. Was suffering withdrawal symptoms.

Picking up on the metaphor thread - - somebody in the SCGB has side-slipped or maybe even done a kick turn (remember them, anyone ?)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
That snow joke!......Sorry Embarassed
ski holidays
David Goldsmith wrote:
I don't know which route they're going down, Peter, but I'm pretty sure it has a gaping crevasse a few kilometres ahead. Let's hope the avalanche of complaints promotes some common sense.

Any other snow and skiing metaphors for this situation welcome.

They were as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or getting hit by a snowboarder or avalanche or something.

"Oh, bob, take me!" she panted, her breasts heaving like a student on a 50p-a-pint Apres ski night.
latest report
Has any of this dispute regarding the forum, and the wider isues of the SCGB been picked up by any other media?

Any budding Alistair Cambells out there?
snow report
Yes, I do believe Alastair Campbell has children. "What did you do in the war, Daddy?....."
snow conditions
To which he might reply "I spun the lies that were used to start it"

ALLEGEDLY
ski holidays
There has to be the argument that when a ‘club’ is being run on the premise that a fiscal profit is required from ALL it’s activities’ or the corollary that ‘the inmates are in charge of the asylum’, than perhaps it’s time to view the public reaction as a legitimate alternative.
As visually ugly as it is, this forum site may be a path way forward;
Rather than griping about the past, perhaps we should consider this as a route to the future?
John B.
snow report
I agree, John.
We must learn from the mistakes of the past, or else we are destined to repeat them.
latest report
Masque, well, if you WILL use the 'test' style sheet what do U expect rolling eyes ? Your profile has been updated to the 'pretty' one Cool

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 12-02-04 12:16; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Masque. I don't find this website "visually ugly". It is elegant and functional, in the Bauhaus tradition.

As for your other comments, they are commendable, apart from the errant apostrophe in the first "it's".
snow report
Oh no Exclamation Grammar police time Shocked
ski holidays
David Goldsmith wrote:

As for your other comments, they are commendable, apart from the errant apostrophe in the first "it's".

Time for the grammar police to reappear, David?
ski holidays
Great minds appear to think alike Laughing
ski holidays
Mea culpa, as you’re well aware I;m(sic) not a proof reader and tend to type from the hip. As for design, you seem to be going through a particularly random Gestalt gestation. Bauhaus! Careful David you’re wandering onto my turf.
Admin: It’s (got it right this time – but don’t count on it) not my prob. that I’m being directed onto the ‘test’ style sheet, please fix the readability issues there first.
John B.
ski holidays
Admin,
I think it's only right that Suffolk pig farmers should go through the test site. We wouldn't want them mucking up the main entrance even if they do talk all posh like would we?
David,
If you think the Bauhaus DIY stores are "elegant and functional" http://www.bauhaus-ag.de/?cat=6 then I can only assume you haven't visited their stores in Vienna.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That helmet would certainly appeal to a Fox.
latest report
Well having not gained anything of benefit over the last four years of membership (except a couple of free magazines...) I'm going to cancel my membership.
Anyone got any suggestions as to what I can spend me 50 notes on?
snow conditions
Aha! The Vienna sausage swallower rises to the occasion. I’ll have you know that most Suffolk pig farmers are (delete as required) Royalty – Titled – Obscenely rich by dint of the CAP – Wearing plastic pants and calling a Gloucester Old Spot “me missus”, all of the above?
I prefer to be vegetarian given those choices.
But we’re moving away from the point . . .
Is this now the ‘defacto’ SCGB?
And where does it go from here?
JB
ski holidays
Phew! Such drama...and all online. Nice to have found you all again.

I think the SCGB has committed commercial suicide. As far as I know, most websites would be delighted to have the loyal attention of the ABC1s who frequented their board.

My best metaphor (but I'll think about it) is a ski resort taking all the lifts down because it encouraged people to go up the mountain.
latest report
Mark,
You could "Spend" your membership sponsoring me!
www.justgiving.com/wtfh

I'm off to Austria on 13th March to ski 24 peaks in 48 hours, to raise money for Scope - to help people with Cerebral Palsy.

Thanks

S
ski holidays
Masque - I didn't think pig farming fell under CAP...please excuse me for being an anorak Wink

Chris - there's been a fercious debate going on in the members only forum but it is looking sadly depleted in there... Sad
latest report
Ian Hopkinson wrote:

Chris - there's been a fercious debate going on in the members only forum but it is looking sadly depleted in there... Sad

So not only has Ian been posting 1000s of messages here, he's also surfing other sites Exclamation
snow conditions
Ian: there’s not a ‘pigger’ around round here that doesn’t have ‘feed’ crops on big acreages and his pigs on ‘set-aside’. Trust me, when a very local ‘yokel’ who’s ostensibly farming 50 farrowing sows can afford to buy his daughter a new Porsche Boxter for her 18th, there’s an imbalance in the system. Don’t get me wrong, there are many farmers in dire straights, there are also some that should be buried headfirst in a midden!
JB.
snow conditions
ABC1 !!! thats the nicest thing anyone has called me in years. Wink
ski holidays
Fox. As an enthusiastic sponsor of your heroic ski marathon, do I get to see a flag planted on each of these 'peaks', or do we read 'top lift station' for 'peak'?

I'll give you at least another tenner for 24 flag photos, especially if you're wearing a monkey suit.
latest report
slightly soiled?

I'll take 24 photos if I have time.

Would the bases of my pistols do for flags?

(Bad idea, cause I'm planning to take my 3Vs)
snow report
multiple post:
“The time has come - the Ski Club chat forums have become members only! The forums have really taken off this winter and there are over 60,000 messages that contain extremely valuable information about resorts, ski schools, websites, equipment, accommodation, driving to the Alps, family skiing and a lot of general chit-chat about skiing and snowboarding. This is a fantastic resource that we want to preserve.”

For what purpose?
Furthermore , in a public forum (and having read their terms and conditions), the poster (if not an employee) retains their copyright against commercial usage and would render any exploitation by the SCGB in breach of that. The SCGB is claiming a fiduciary benefit for your property!
I suggest that those who have posted to the SCGB forums, formally require the Ski Club of Great Britain to inform you of that value. The alternative would be a class action suit to recover that value.
‘There is a difference between making love and being screwed’

You could always ask them to scour the forums (current and archive) of all your contributions and to demand compliance.
JB (evil incarnate)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy