Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Espace Diamant 2014 - 2015

Poster: A snowHead
i'll take cold for the moment, watching the rate of snow loss was quite alarming over the last 3-4 days
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
it's white again outside my terrace @skinutter, but just 1 - 2 cms of snow (snow forecast had it exactly right!) though no doubt a little more up the top. The pistes will be much improved this morning with some new snow and a cold night, but the vis is shocking.

You're right, the rate of snow loss in the last week has been very rapid, unsurprisingly. Forecasts for the coming week are all over the place - fingers crossed for a bit more snow and not too much rain.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Snow was nice and hard this morning in Crest Voland, hardly anyone about, got a bit soft after lunch.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
looks like more acceptable temperatures to at least try and preserve what is on the ground during this week. Watching the wigglies and they are all over the place, be interesting to see how it all plays out
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@skinutter, just for you I tried to take some pictures of the new Bellasta lift and surroundings this morning. Mobile phone, so hopeless photos, but you'll get the picture.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.

This is the top of the lift - Mont Blanc in the background.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

Looking from the top of the lift towards Les Contamines (you can just about see the Belleville power station down in the Hauteluce Valley).
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!

There are two reds and a blue run in that sector. This is from the blue run. The new lift opens up an enormous new bowl - will have loads of off piste options when the snow is better. Meanwhile, if you like slushy moguls, can recommend the bottom of the blue run. wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.

There's a new (and rather expensive) restaurant up there too, Au Coeur du Diamant. This is taken from the terrace (all laid up for the lunchtime rush, though the place was so empty today I don't think they'd have got one). The lift in the background is the top of the Douce. From the restaurant you need to get back to Saisies either by hiking across a rather flat bit of off piste or skiing down to the Lac or Plan des Fours lifts in Notre Dame - no way back with just a Saisies pass.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads

The new restaurant has fantastic panoramic views of Mont Blanc, the Beaufortain and the Aravis.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.

And finally. The liaison to Praz sur Arly is considerably shorter from the top of the Bellasta.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, Looks good. I must get around to using my free day in Les Saisies this winter.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Gosh, it does look very nice round your way, @pam w!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It is, and this morning it was particularly quiet despite the sun and decent snow conditions. There was a queue of about a dozen people at one chairlift where three people fell off at the start, I think because one elderly man had a massive backpack. They were all wallowing around unable to get themselves up - the lifties had to stop the lift for a while and get them organised. It's a two way lift, so the folk going up the other side of the bowl were all stopped too, with ringside seats. I did feel sorry for the people on the ground, like stranded whales - I'd have been just the same.

@rjs, don't be too long about it - the snow's not exactly improving! That new Bellasta area is a great addition, and will be particularly worthwhile with fresh snow.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pam. well those pictures certainly whet the appetite, counting down the days already and looking forward to skiing the new runs, slush or no slush with the boy snowHead

Thanks for taking the time to take them and as always if you need any urgent supplies from the UK, let me know and we'll deliver them once we are down!

Cheers
David
ski holidays
looking at the webcams, looks like the rain/snow line is higher than 1600m just now,was forecasted to drop so hope it will be soon
latest report
skinutter, It is lower than 1600m, probably more like 1300m. It is snowing in Crest Voland village and was even sticking on the grass though not on the road.

It was pretty slushy on the hill today.
latest report
Beginning to settle on roofs and branches (but not the wet road) here at 1550m. But I'm not holding out hope for more than "quelque flocons".
snow report
Is snow rather than rain here at 1200 but, yes, not got hopes up for a big fall.
ski holidays
Well, pretty well nothing fell here - a very cold night, and cloudy/mist, but barely a centimetre of snow. I am not too happy about the precipitation forecast for the weekend - the FL needs to come down.
latest report

"Un jour blanc". Sounds much nicer than it is. Freezing fog, terrible visibility. So I headed down and went for a walk. And discovered where all the snow is going......

Forecast is for precipitation Sunday/Monday, though Meteo France sees less than GFS-based forecasts, here as elsewhere. FL will be critical.
latest report
tiniest smattering of snow overnight.... still snowing at a rate of about 40 fpsqm/minute at present.
ski holidays
hows that for an accurate snow forecast...few premium sites could learn a thing or two there Laughing
snow report

I'm sure the pistes were much nicer this morning after a cold night and a dusting of frensh snow. But I'm signed up for cross-country lessons next week so started warming up with a gentle "green" circuit this morning. Nice to have a little fresh snow.
snow report

Free lift in the ski de fond area. Lovely snow, completely deserted (well, it was 1 pm!).
snow report

skinutter, don't forget that if the weather isn't too great the new Signal 1650 Centre offers some weather-proof entertainment. But if you want to swim, take budgie smugglers. Shorts not allowed. This is a poor picture, taken with my phone - it's actually rather nice, looking out onto Mont Bisanne.
ski holidays

and there's the bowling alley, and a restaurant with big windows onto the slopes.
latest report
Think I will try to use my free day in Les Saisies tomorrow, forecast is a bit better than for Sunday.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

The forecast for Sunday is absolutely shocking. Tomorrow should be much preferable, if not great; the earlier the better. I walked up Mont Bisanne this afternoon and took this photo, which shows that though parts of the village and sunny aspect non-pistes are looking rather green the bits that matter are white.
snow report
Saturday was good, snow was nice and hard first thing. Went up Mont Bisanne first then started working my way over to the other side of the domain. Had one run down to the Bellasta lift then over as far as the bottom of the Ban Rouge chair before working my way back to Les Saisies. The only nasty bit was the first pitch of Les Crosats which was a bit brown, no rocks though, I had taken my oldest skis just in case. Then just did laps on Sapins, Girolles and Perdrix until about 3pm. Slush on my boots was freezing each time I got to the top of the lifts. Best snow was in the Les Saisies bowl.
snow report
Quote:

Best snow was in the Les Saisies bowl.

Yes, it generally has the best snow for many miles around, though not the best runs. Glad you enjoyed it, @rjs. What season lift pass do you have?

Did you see anything of the montgolfieres?

Absolutely ghastly day on the slopes here today - wild horses wouldn't have dragged me out there. I enjoyed a walk down the valley a bit, though, in the trees. And the rain!
ski holidays
Yuck...been trying to avoid looking at the cams today but looksm horrid!
snow report
@skinutter, have to admit that it is. But should be getting some snow to lower levels tonight, and the middle of the week looks hopeful for a bit more snow and colder conditions. I am fully expecting my cross country lesson at 0915 tomorrow to take place entirely in the rain!
snow conditions
pam w, I have the Espace Val d'Arly pass, everything except Les Saisies, I have just never bothered getting the bus over to NDB.

I did see the balloons, the programme for it had been announced on the radio so I was looking out for them. There was a tethered one that the public could ask to go on and classes in building paper ones though I didn't see any flying.

When I got back to Crest-Voland yesterday the ESF were setting up some slalom courses for an area instructors race, I helped a bit with getting it ready then watched the race, finally stopped skiing at 7:30pm so wanted a day off today.
ski holidays
Happy to say it's now snowing outside my window, and pretty windy. Glad I'm in the warm and that my car is in the garage, as I have to drive round to Les Saisies before 9 am. I suspect it's going to be raining again by then, at my altitude.
ski holidays
Still snowing, been snowing hard all night, temperature just below zero. snowHead I hope they get a plough up here before I have to drive round to Les Saisies.
snow conditions
snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead off to check the cams and hope your drive is ok!
snow report
Quote:

hope your drive is ok!

Thanks. Still chucking it down and no sign of a snowplough. I have been dithering about whether to put chains on in the comfort of the garage or risk getting stuck on the road. Have decided on the cautious approach - so easy to do under cover with dry wheels. Such a pain out on the road - being cursed at. It is going to get warmer later, and might rain at my level and I know from experience that slushy wet snow is the most difficult - I have four good winter tyres but chains do make a difference.

Looking good for some more snow this week - I think next week will be good, @skinutter. snowHead
ski holidays
Quote:

no sign of a snowplough

apparently our road was ploughed around 5.50 this morning - 'hardly worth it' mutters OH - but its probably because we are on the road to the school so its always done as a priority. Hope you find it worth the effort of putting on the chains today @pam w, and wise to do it in the dry of your garage - enjoy the lesson.
ski holidays

Better late than never! There's a fair bit of very heavy wet snow out there.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy