Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travelling light(er)

Poster: A snowHead
Apologies if this has been covered before but couldn’t find anything specific on the search.

Due to lack of available flights I’m flying with Thomas Cook for a trip in Feb-don’t recall flying with them before. I’ll be taking my own skis which I can limit to one pair and have 15KG to play with, reading their spiel I can take more than one bag-i.e. boots so long as it’s all below 15KG. I’ll have another 6 for hand luggage. I’m thinking I might be able to get away without paying for a checked bag, this isn’t totally about penny pinching, I’m sure those who have done it know how awkward it is to carry manoeuvre a ski bag, luggage and carryon.

Get 6Kg carry on so I’m thinking skis, poles, boots ~10-12K, rest for toiletries and clothes. Turn up to the airport in ski jacket-possibility of stuffing pockets, helmet goes in carry on and along with other clothes.

Doable?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd stuff everything in a kitbag, check it in and avoid having to cart some heavy bag full of stuff all over the airport and on and off the plane. What do you actually need on a plane that you can't fit in your pockets?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I guess so providing you don't need at the gubbins that's usually taken.

I'm sure underwear can be washed, evening T can be worn for skiing the following day etc, one pair of shoes for the evening.

Buy your toiletries after check in? Leave yout GoPro and laptop at home.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Lizzard, Nothing. more just about sharing the allowance-I can mange lugging up to 6KG is a rucksack or similar.

Cheers
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wear your ski jacket and fill every available pocket with stuff.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wear your helmet when you check in and when you get on the plane, otherwise strap it to your hand luggage. *not really serious*
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Wear your ski jacket and fill every available pocket with stuff.

And end up smelling like ripe stilton at the other end.

For me I wear a shirt with my ski jacket in the top of my hold bag so I can get it at the other end for the trip into the mountains.

Pockets contain passport, phone, earphones, wallet, boarding pass.

I leave the car keys with the valet.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've managed 13.8kg hold luggage with Ryanair before which included my ski boots and helmet, so on that basis it should be possible.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Useful thread - last year my hold bag only weighed 9.5kg (no boots though) and I wasn't particularly packing light, so it should be doable.

Even more of a challenge - myself and my partner are flying to Grenoble with Easyjet this year and have only purchased one bag between us! So 20kg + 5kg + 5kg luggage permitted in total... Shocked

We'll just think carefully about what to take - if it's not necessary we won't pack it...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I always pack far too much and will need very limited non ski ware on this trip.

On a non ski trip once while going to see a relative I only had hand lugage but didn't realise only 5kg was allowed. Anyhow all was solved after a trip to the loo and layering up so I looked like the Michelin man! Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Exactly, the wife however doesn't seem to think a pair of [s]underpants[/s] jeans can last a whole week.[/list]
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Damn this forum for not accepting strikethough text...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Any fans of 'Friends' will remember this:

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Easy doable. One bag with your skis and poles in, then pad it out with you clothes (wrapped in black bags) and wash bag. Last year when I weighted my skis and boots it came to about 14kg, so may be a bit tight if you book both in hold.

In that case I normally take my boots as hand luggage. Put all socks and underwear (again in bags) within the boot itself. Put the helmet over the top and pack out with any other clothes so as to protect the helmet a little in case it gets knocked.

Wear you jacket and just dress normally, don't want to be suffocating the person next to you with your BO when you start sweating like a mad man on the plane.
Should never be need for an extra hold bag.

I also once did a whole trip with just hand luggage, admittedly I was hiring skis that year, but it is still doable. Definitely wear your jacket, its the bulkiest / heaviest piece of clothing normally.
Also worthwhile checking that the airline will allow you to wear a helmet if you decide. They can be an back bottom about that.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Someone faffing about travelling light (on another thread recently) was planning to take 7 sets of base wear and 7 pairs of ski socks. Laughing One or two sets of "non ski" clothes are fine. I can definitely make a pair of jeans last a week and 7 pairs of knickers don't take up much room, if you really can't cope with washing them. You need clumpy outdoor shoes (walking boots or similar, which will be useful if you're actually doing mountain walking rather than skiing) and one pair of very light indoor shoes. Wear the former. A Kindle or tablet saves carrying books, which are heavy.

Minimise toiletries (you'll be allowed to carry on very little).

If possible, book a checked in bag, throw everything there, float through security, then stroll onto the plane with a newspaper. If you are putting toiletries in hand baggage remember you are allowed very little, and all in sub-100ml containers.
snow report
homers double wrote:
Damn this forum for not accepting strikethough text...

I̶'̶d̶ ̶t̶e̶l̶l̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶n̶,̶ ̶i̶'̶d̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶k̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶.̶.̶.̶
http://fsymbols.com/generators/strikethrough/

Oh, and why do you take ripe cheese on holiday with you?
ski holidays
It is possible. I haven't checked on a ski bag in years because of the exact problem you describe - trying to lug about a ski bag, suitcase and carry on bag. My recipe is boots, board, toolkit, toiletries, socks t shirts, coat and whatever else I can get into the board bag. I then wear hiking boots, jeans, midlayer, fleece and duvet jacket on the flight. If you're too warm in transit just remove a layer.

My carry on then has the rest of my spare clothes. The biggest space saver is learning to survive with one pair of shoes(boots in my case). If you are happy to forego a duvet jacket you could also wear your ski jacket on the flight and save a lot of extra space.
snow report
OP are you sure about the baggage allowance and being able to split it accross ski bag and boot bag? Hold baggage allowance can often be split over more than one bag but doesn't include ski's normally. Book skis and it's usually just one item and you can't split the allowance.

I've also been refused boot-bag carry on with TC in the past.
snow report
Shrink ! - my clothes weigh about half that of my other half's ! Skullie
snow conditions
surely skis would count as 'Oversize' and a fee payable
snow report
albob wrote:
surely skis would count as 'Oversize' and a fee payable

That was what I was thinking.
snow conditions
I've travelled with a ski bag in the hold and a rucsac for hand luggage several times.
It is even better if you can team up with someone else - share a double ski bag and a holdall.
snow report
homers double wrote:

Dzmarc wrote:
Wear you jacket and just dress normally, don't want to be suffocating the person next to you with your BO when you start sweating like a mad man on the plane.

Have you guys not considered taking off your jacket?
ski holidays
@Serriadh, Of course, I do, but I've seen it far to often people layered up with thermals, t-shirts, jumpers, hoodies on that you wonder how they have not passed out through heat exhaustion.
snow report
Quote:

If possible, book a checked in bag, throw everything there, float through security, then stroll onto the plane with a newspaper.

Persoanlly I prefer to travel light through the airport. Kindle and passport in one pocket and wallet in the other. What more do you need?
snow report
@johnE,... tissues, lipstick,mirror, sweeteners, housekeys (so I know where they are), 2nd purse (£ & €), contact lenses for the week, handwipes (for after the newspaper), toffees, phone, sunglasses for journey up the mountain (sleeping or sun), hat & gloves ............ And my husband seems to take even more ! (Russian homework etc)
ski holidays
Serriadh wrote:
homers double wrote:

Dzmarc wrote:

Have you guys not considered taking off your jacket?

Of course but being on the plane isn't the issue. Its the queueing to check in, queueing for security, queueing for passport control, queueing to board etc when you need to wear your jacket because your hands are full of Glayva, passposrts and small people.
ski holidays
@homers double, put the Glayva into the small people ? Simples ! rolling eyes
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm taking my 22mo for the first time this year. I have no idea how we'll fit everything in :/
snow report
Scrumpy wrote:
@homers double, put the Glayva into the small people ? Simples ! rolling eyes

They'd probably prefere Jagermeister rolling eyes
snow report
[b]@honved[/ski boots in hand luggage, (boots stuffed) and ski bag with everything else works with me!
snow report
@denfinellaWhat's this easyjet 20+5+5 weight limit that you refer to? Yes for the 20kg hold bag - but doesn't easyjet have no limit on hand luggage size Puzzled (subject to being able to lift it and it fitting their dimensions).
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy