Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing in France - Tips??

Poster: A snowHead

I'll be with my boyfriend in Paris in a Working February / 2015 and we Shooting at 4 to 5 days for skiing in the Alps. We have lot of difficulty Para entender and Decide What Is The Best cost-effective . WE DO NOT WANT resorts Spend COM. After a search , I was in doubt between staying in Annecy and ski in La Clusaz OU staying in Sallanches and skiing in Chamonix .

In these two cities found lodgings BY around R $ 1,300 paragraph 5 Nights couple and saw that the distance to like Mountains and around 30km , and you can do by train / bus.

Someone ten tips ? And really feasible to stay in Annecy OU Sallanches and Exit For skiing in 4 of the 5 Days ? La Clusaz Worth ? Is There Any Other Option better? We Beginners .

Thank you !
Ligia
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
find one with snow Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome to Snowheads ligiak.

Sallanches would be a good option:

- accommodation and food and drink are cheaper than in ski resorts.
- The resort of Combloux (a large ski area that is linked to Megeve) is only about 15 mins drive. There is easy parking right next to the ski lifts and I seem to recall that it's a good resort for beginners.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes, Sallanches would be fine and you could have lessons in Combloux or Meveve. Or head to Les Houches, or Les Contamines. BUT it would be a lot easier with a car - more time skiing, less time bussing.

Be aware of the French school holidays - last three weeks in February, first week in March, which will make things more difficult and the slopes more crowded. You'd need to book lessons well in advance.

And welcome to snowheads. snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

In these two cities found lodgings BY around R $ 1,300 paragraph 5 Nights couple

what currency is that. Rand? Roubles?

There are some quite cheap hostels in Chamonix - would be more convenient, especially if you won't have a car.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Guys, I just noticed my message was completely messy. Not sure what happened there - some crazy copy an paste that messes up the writing. Anyway, the message was supposed to be like this:

"I'll be with my boyfriend in Paris in a Working February / 2015 and we are taking 4 to 5 days off to go skiing in the Alps. We have lot of difficulty to understand and decide what is the most cost-effective place to stay and to ski.

We don't want resorts since they are really expensive. After researching, I was in doubt between staying in Annecy and skiing in La Clusaz or staying in Sallanches and skiing in Chamonix .

I found lodgings in these 2 cities around USD 550 per 5 Nights for a couple and I saw that the distance to from them to the mountains are around 30km. I also understand you can go by train.

Is it really feasible to stay in Annecy or Sallanches and go skiing from there for about 4 out of the 5 days? Is La Clusaz worth it? And is there any other better options you can think of? We're both beginners at skiing."

---------

From your responses I see it might be complicated to go to Chamonix from Sallanches or La Clusaz from Annecy. I liked the idea of skiing in Combloux though. I took a look at the photos and it seems like a very beautiful skiing area. Is driving dangerous there? I never drove in snowing areas. Also, is there a risk I won't be able to get to the mountains if it's snowing too much?

Are these places too different from Chamonix? You can't get a good idea by the internet photos..

About school holidays, I though they were starting on the 15th. If it's on the 7th, then I'll go on the week before that! thanks for the warning.

thanks for the help!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
I liked the idea of skiing in Combloux though. I took a look at the photos and it seems like a very beautiful skiing area. Is driving dangerous there? I never drove in snowing areas. Also, is there a risk I won't be able to get to the mountains if it's snowing too much?

Google Maps shows the distance from Sallanches to Combloux as 5km/10 mins(!) - so not very far at all. The drive is up a mountain road however - although it is not a very bad one in normal road conditions.

Snow on the road is possible but Sallanches is at a low level - so that is in your favour. The authorities are very good at clearing roads/keeping them open - the local economies depend on it - so being unable to reach a resort because of too much snow is possible but doesn't happen too frequently.

There was a point where none of us had driven in the snow - as they say, there's a first time for everything Smile. Your nervousness is understandable though - key points are to leave a massive stopping distance between you and the vehicle in front and to brake, steer and accelerate much more gently. It would be very helpful to ensure that your hire car (assuming you are hiring?) has winter tyres as these are very effective in snow and on ice. You may wish to consider hiring snow chains too - although fitting them for the first time can be tricky. Chains are not usually needed except on very hilly roads in deep snow - snow tyres are fine with a light covering of snow on the road. If the roads are clear, it is worth finding a snow-covered car park (or similar) to practise winter driving on - the car handles very differently on ice and snow. It's even worth practising a few skids. Once it does skid, DO NOT BRAKE but steer into the direction of the skid until the car rights itself.

All resorts are different. Chamonix is a fairly big, sprawling town with spread out (separate) ski areas but is easy to drive to from Sallanches, on good roads. In my opinion, as you are beginners, I think you would find Combloux a little more user-friendly. The resort itself is fairly small and quite rustic/old in parts.

Good luck!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bourg Saint Maurice - a good choice of ski resorts from there via car, local bus or funicular.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ligiak, Combloux is lovely - though its slopes face the wrong way for maximum snow (Megeve with slopes on the other side, is sometimes better, but also very easy to drive).

At the moment there is is very little snow in Combloux or Megeve - and generally little is going to be open over Christmas. February is a long time away - but it might be best to wait and see what the conditions are, nearer the time.

The road up from Sallanches to Combloux can be snowy but in that case the skiing will be great! If it's snowy you might need snow chains, but there's always a first time.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bourg St Maurice is also a good place to be, and easier from the transport point of view.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I agree Bourg St Maurice is a good base. Direct trains from Paris. Funicular lift to Les Arcs included in area ski pass. Good beginner pistes and instruction available. Accommodation prices OK for a ski area although early February is quite busy.
Driving from Sallanches to Combloux/Megeve certainly possible. As beginners, skiing can be tiring, physically and mentally. Do you need extra pressure of driving, possibly on snowy roads?
Chamonix weather/conditions can often be harsh, especially for beginners, in my experience. Annecy is a beautiful city but I think too far to drive each day to skiing.
I also agree best to wait until January to see what snow conditions and forecast is like in different areas.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ligiak,
Does it have to be France?
February is the busiest time for French ski resorts with all the French school holidays. You used to be able to get the TGV from Paris directly to Oulx in Italy and assume you still can this is pretty convenient for the Milky Way resorts or Bardonnechia where you may find things a little quieter than in France.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Since I will be in Paris and I only have a few days (4 or 5), I think it would be too far to go anywhere outside France...
What would you think of Brides-Les-bains?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
From Brides les Bains you'd need to drive up (to La Tania and Trois Vallées I assume). I love 3V but if you are beginners then I suggest you keep it for your next visit. Same for Megève (too expensive) and Cham (not enough beginners' runs).

For cost effectiveness you could still give smaller ressorts a go (outside of school hols!). Combloux is fine.

By the way, Brides and Sallanches are just ugly industrial towns - if you have a car then you might as well stay in Annecy (better if you can stay in the centre or with lake views...) and ski in Gd Bornand or La Clusaz but it's a good 30mn drive. Still doable - I once stayed in Geneva and commuted to Flaine every day - 1h each way for a week - and would not recommend it.

There are many many options so post more constraints and a solution will emerge!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Note: 3V is great for beginners, don't get me wrong. It's just a bit expensive if you only stick to a few runs.
ski holidays
You will be fine somewhere like Combloux during the first two weeks of February - the first week because it's not school holidays and the second week because it is just one French zone on holiday and it's a week that doesn't get busy round here. You could stay at our chalet for 4 or 5 nights during the first week of February - a lot nicer than staying in Sallanches, not much more expensive, and gives you the choice of Combloux, La Clusaz or Espace Diamant.
snow report
@ligiak, if you could stay at miranda's place it would be perfect. You will get lots of local knowledge as well as a great place to stay.
snow report
ligiak wrote:
Since I will be in Paris and I only have a few days (4 or 5), I think it would be too far to go anywhere outside France...

The reason for suggesting Oulx is that is is barely outside France and the journey time not much longer as it is supplied by the TGV.

The advantage is that in French school holidays the slopes may be significantly quieter.

https://loco2.com/destinations/paris-to-oulx-by-train
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy