Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Smallest (cheapest) rental car and skis

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there,

We've just costed a return private transfer and it's much, much cheaper to rent a car for the week- provided it's something reasonably small.

Top of the list at the moment is a VW Polo. It also has the benefit of front wheel drive, comes complete with chains and snow tyres.

So the query is - will a pair of 185cm skis fit - with two adults and a couple of bags.

It's about a 90 minute transfer so a little discomfort for the passenger (ie not me) is acceptable.

Skoda Fabia estate is on the list, a little bit more expensive, along with a Golf and a Qashqai.

Also - there was a link on this forum, some time ago, to holidayautos, that gave a discount (if you were an HSBC employee perhaps). Does this still exist?

Thanks

SM
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
shockingmoment, If the passenger has short enough legs to sit behind the driver then you could put the luggage on the other side of the car.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If it is anything like my son's 2001 polo then it is possible but definitely not comfortable for the passengers. Unless the newer models have a ski hatch in the rear passenger seat then one pair of skis should fit diagonally into the passenger foot well, 1 bag on the rear seat and one in the luggage compartment. Putting half the back seat down will probably help.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
yes; I got 4 adults plus skis/boards into a polo a few years back
if it's 2 adults including your self, just put the back seat down and thread the skis between the driver and passenger seats. you might need to rig something up so the skis don't interfere with the gear stick

don't think the holiday autos discount works any more
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You will be fine, have had all types of hire car from a Ka to a Kuga and you always get the ski's in up the middle, although the Ka was a little uncomfy for either the driver or passenger depending on whose side got the skis aimed at them but only when you wanted to use the middle arm rest, for a 90 min drive it's only a first world problem
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
try auto-europe.com - often find them to be cheaper thhan holiday autos
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I can get skis in my car (Alfa Romeo Mito) through the boot hatch into the rear seat footwells (just have to remove the parcel shelf) or on the front passenger seat. Luggage goes in the boot. I'd imagine a Polo is much the same,
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've got skis in hire cars much smaller than a Polo before.

Put the passenger in, unpack the skis and slide them down between the passenger and their door.

They might not be able to escape if the car bursts into flames, but more importatnly you can still change gear ok. Twisted Evil
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
On another aspect of car hire, watch the damage excesses, some companies have increased the amount before the CDW component kicks in, something like the first £1000 is not covered by the CDW but for an additional fee the £1000 risk can be covered.
This is a representative figure I found in the small print of a car hire company I used earlier this year, with subsequent hires I made I paid the additional £5 or so for full CDW protection. Another element of car hire is when asked how many people are in your party, some hirers will restrict cover to that number of persons and no more unless a further fee is paid, so if there are two of you and you subsequently give a lift to a couple of friends you could have a problem if this go wrong.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If the bindings are rail rather than screw-on, then consider pulling them off. I pack our skis and bindings separately as it makes the skis much easier to slot beside doors, windows etc.

Aside from that, as @Mosha Marc, says, down the side of the door is often easiest.

Or £30 for some inflatable easiracks and don't drive too fast Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PS if you're using hertz, use CDP 569608 with a mastercard, gets you 15% off.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Based on our lads' trip experience 185 is a bit big for fitting diagonally in the back with rear seat folded. Down the middle or next to the doors should be fine (we've done both in the past). Alternatively with a split /fold seat @rjs has it right.

We managed three plus kit in a VW Up! but my brother chundered as we went over the Pas de Morgins - perhaps more of a comment on my driving than his stomach!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hire ski rack to go with the car. I did this a few years ago on a trip to Switzerland.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Got a polo for the season this year, it will just about fiit a pair of 180's from corner to corner with the seats down but as others have said, watch out for damage. The rental companies make a lot of money from internal damage, much more than they do from external.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Got a polo for the season this year, it will just about fiit a pair of 180's from corner to corner with the seats down but as others have said, watch out for damage. The rental companies make a lot of money from internal damage, much more than they do from external.
snow report
dont be surprised when you turn you do not get a polo quite often it is a car of a similar size or type you can be lucky and get a bigger one if all the small ones have gone.
ski holidays
Nice one. What a response!

Thanks, and thanks for the car hire code. Tried Hertz, but they all come up 'Call to book' with no prices (same without the code btw). I'll call later.

Auto-Europe are cheap, really cheap... with Megadrive. Heard some real horror stories about them though. The others are a little bit dearer than HA - but thanks anyway.

I've got a set of magnetic roof ski racks, light enough but they take up valuable luggage space.... Not sure if I'll ever use them!

Great response - many thanks

SM
ski holidays
VW Polo is big enough for two people plus skis. take the skis out of the ski bag and either fit them between the two front seats or between the seats and the doors, one on the left and one on the right.
snow report
We've done it a different way a couple of times. Take two lightweight ratchet straps with you. When you get to the car, fold a large towel lengthways twice and lay front to back along the roof of the car.Then put the skis on the towel. Loop the strap around the skis and then in through the car and tighten. Also put a twist in the strap either side of the skis above the roof so the strap doesn't vibrate and make an annoying noise at speed. Worked for us.
latest report
brock wrote:
dont be surprised when you turn you do not get a polo quite often it is a car of a similar size or type you can be lucky and get a bigger one if all the small ones have gone.

You should have seen the face of the hire guy when he realised that the only manual car he had ready was a stonking great Mercedes estate ... he moved Heaven & Earth to get a Mazda ready for me instead.
snow report
To clarify, do the above with the car doors open, not through the windows!
snow conditions
We used to do tuis all the time with 203s and 207s.

Man up.
ski holidays
Quote:

I've got a set of magnetic roof ski racks, light enough but they take up valuable luggage space..

I wasn't suggesting bring your own but hire one wink Laughing
snow report
rented a VW Up a few weeks ago. Put some 189's out of the passage window facing forward - not to be recommended, I nearly froze.
latest report
I have travelled the Alps in a hire Polo and carrying my 179 Missions. My way of doing it was to flatten the passenger seat backwards and get the skis in fore and aft. This does mean the passenger (if any) has to sit behind the driver. I would think linds, remembers the experience!

snowHead
snow report
Keep the skis in a lightweight ski bag or wrap them with your thermals or similar to prevent damage to the interior trim. As said by others, hire car companies will kill you with interior damage charges

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 17-12-14 23:13; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
We used to do tuis all the time with 203s and 207s.

Man up.

Peugeots or skis ?
ski holidays
We managed a fiat panda (not even joking) 2 adults, 2 bags, 90mins, so I don't think you will have a problem!! Lol
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As mentioned watch out for the CDW. If you have a prang, all hell breaks loose. Try Protect My Bubble to cover you or google CDW insurance to find a deal, a few pounds extra is worth it!!
snow report
Certainly much much easier in a Golf. Mine's a mk1 Leon (same as Golf etc. basically), and 183cm Rictors fit in diagonally, with wide part of splitfold down, tails wedge between passenger seat and door, and tips fit nicely in boot corner. That's what I do when it's just me + skis + 8 hour drive.
If 2 people and short transfer, then I tend to put skis right down the centre also with wide part of splitfold down, and fit luggage in around. Can *just* get 3 people, 3-4 pr skis, 3 luggages etc. in that way, but it's cosy and you have 3 ski bags by your ear when driving. Coffin bags booger everything up though... 3 people, 2 skis, 1 board only fit if the coffin bag is folded in half and the board loose on top.

Polo is the absolute smallest I'd go with 2+skis+luggage (assuming luggage is not huge hard suitcases).
snow conditions
@musher, both. Obviously.

@Spinout, many of the CDW insurances are scams. My credit card insurance includes CDW and CDW waiver cover, no excess. Very handy when we had a c̶a̶r̶ ̶p̶a̶r̶k̶ ̶d̶o̶u̶g̶h̶n̶u̶t̶ random car park mishap in Italy with an €850 excess.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy