Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Environmental groups raise spectre of Cairngorm ski area "ceasing to function"

Poster: A snowHead
Six environmental and outdoor bodies have called on the Scottish Executive to determine the future of Cairngorm Estate, which contains the ski area operated by Cairngorm Mountain.

The estate has been put up for sale by its current owners, Highlands and Islands Enterprise.

Environmentalists have often opposed developments and skiing expansion on Cairngorm, and the £20 million funicular railway - recently built and operated to exacting conservation standards - has become a substantial financial burden to a ski area which now suffers regular snow shortages.

Now the environmental groups have raised the possibility that skiing might cease altogether, with the resultant costs of dismantling the skiing infrastructure.

This report from The Scotsman.

Any comments?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oh dear - they're at it again. How many of the nearby residents have been polled I wonder? How many of the campaigners sit in their comfirtable suburban homes on large salaries? I know there are a couple of local (?) groups in there, but how many are actually locals? Usual stuff - the locals are only considered yokels and not entitled to earn a living for more than 4 months of the year!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I learned to ski at Glencoe in the early 80s and the snow was pretty good back then. It's a shame that the environment nutters have any say in Scottish skiing's future - after all there's only 4 resorts across the whole country, so what harm can the lifts do - but I fear the basic lack of snow and therefore profitability will kill it first...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Plake, Bugs that live under rocks at the top of the mountain are much more important than any other consideration. Hat off to you learning in Glencoe - not the most beginner friendly place Ive ever seen!!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I agree! Respect to the hardy Glencoe beginner - learn to ski on that mountain (which has true character for the experienced skier) and you must be immune to anything!

Plake rules.
snow report
 brian
brian
David Goldsmith, he only rules if he learned before they built the plateau tow Laughing

The funicular is not really a ski lift anyway. CML are moving further and further away from being a ski operator to a mountain attraction Evil or Very Mad

That excellent spell we had in November, they ran the bloody thing on a 15 minute timetable, took days to bar up even a single tow and only pisted one run !

(actually I was quite glad about the last bit, a few more adventurous types prepared to ignore the closed signs got the Lady and M1 to ourselves).

The difference in attitude versus the Lecht and Glenshee, run for skiers, is night and day.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

(actually I was quite glad about the last bit, a few more adventurous types prepared to ignore the closed signs got the Lady and M1 to ourselves).

To be fair to CML they did state on their website in the conditions report that other runs were skiable - it was just that they hadn't been pisted or checked so it was all at your own risk.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I agree! Respect to the hardy Glencoe beginner - learn to ski on that mountain (which has true character for the experienced skier) and you must be immune to anything!

Plake rules.

Quote:

David Goldsmith, he only rules if he learned before they built the plateau tow

I did Cool

When I learned as an 8-9yr old you got a (single?) chair up from the carpark, then walked up gently for about 5min, where the plateau tow is now, to a kind of shed where they had all the hire skis. On day one I was being taught snowploughs by a friend of my dad's who used to work as an instructor, but I was struggling and had a huge tantrum where I took my skis off and refused to do any more unless I was allowed to go to the top of the mountain. I couldn't turn yet, but luckily being from a mountaineering family my dad somehow got me up the T-bar to the top, and then I was fine, suddenly I could turn and I loved it. Glencoe is definitely not the easiest place to learn, but when you're a kid what the hell, you'll try anything!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Great story - really appreciate that beginner's tale!

Yup, the original Glencoe access chair was a single - the first chair in Scotland - built by Clydeside shipbuilders - pure enthusiasts.

It was replaced by a Doppelmayr double chair many years ago, but the other single chair on the mountain - the Cliffhanger ('Cliffy') - is still there .... as far as I know.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cliffhanger Chair is still there, as is the Cairnwell Chairlift at Glenshee. Off the three single seaters which existed, two are still in operation and they were both installed after the White Lady Chairlift on CairnGorm which was a detachable grip lift. Believe the old Access Chair came into use near the end of 61 so around the same time as the Lady Chair.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Winterhighland, given the scary number (well, scary in a relative sense) of times that "modern" detachables have detached in an uncontrolled fashion it's amazing that there weren't any (?) incidents on Cairngorm.

Plake, so did I... wink And I'm pretty sure I've skied from Plateau to car park, once.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Check out these pictures over on Winterhighland of Glencoe, Glenshee and Cairngorm in the 1950s and 1960s.

http://www.winterhighland.info/forums/read.php?2,57179,page=1

and these;

http://www.winterhighland.info/forums/read.php?2,57253
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Peter S, What fab pix! However I can remember being in Caringorm in 1966 and using the Cas T bar. The oldest Caringorm pic shows no White Lady T bar - amazing. We had plenty of cover that year but I do remember sheet ice on the bottom of the Lady for the Scottish Junior Champs!!! At the time I didn't really think anything of it - I dare say I'd be windier now!!! Shocked
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm sure the pay-back on the funicular wouldn't be such a burden if the environmental groups (much of whom are government quangos and funded by we tax payers) hadn't made such a fuss in the first place. The environmental audit and its construction implications defied belief at times.. I love being a Scot and our landscape but some sensible balance has to be struck.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Environmentalists seem to have extraordinary reserves of energy and friends in high places and I reckon they'll get their way eventually. Then, everyone will be forced to step into a ruddy great jet plane for the alps or further and dump yet more tons of CO2 all over the shop. Don't s'pose they've considered that.

Leave it be. The White Lady on a spring day or massive slushy bumps down the Ciste Gully remain two of my faves anywhere on earth. The snow will return when the gulf stream cools and we'll have a few glorious years before we all freeze to death anyway.
latest report
David Murdoch wrote:
Winterhighland, given the scary number (well, scary in a relative sense) of times that "modern" detachables have detached in an uncontrolled fashion it's amazing that there weren't any (?) incidents on Cairngorm.

The lifts which had the most problems were those which had gravity grips, they to a certain extent relied on gravity rather than mechanical grip to grip the haul rope and these have been outlawed in most countries. Probably the lifts with the worst saftey record was detachable Yan lifts.

The Cairngorm Chairlift was a rack-rail system, so the grips relied on mechanical grip in the same way as fixed grip lifts do. Sadly there have been fatal accidents with the Cairngorm Chairlift, but none of them related to grip/carrier or mechanical failure, but were down to people falling from the lift, due to their own actions, such as a case of a pre-teen boy who was see attempting to "surf" on the saftey bar before falling off as the chair crossed a pylon. Shocked
snow conditions
Winterhighland wrote:
such as a case of a pre-teen boy who was see attempting to "surf" on the saftey bar before falling off as the chair crossed a pylon. Shocked

OUCH! When your number's up, your number's up!
snow report
Winterhighland, Worst day I can remember on Caringorm was total sheet ice everywhere. Someone fell off the M1 poma right at the top and started sliding down taking others in his wake. The track is so narrow and it was so icy that it ended up with bodies everywhere hurtling down the poma track wiping out everyone coming up. I skied down as fast as possible and got the bloke at the bottom to turn it off. Then he started it again. Eventually we persuded him to turn it off until the ski patrol had sorted out the mess. I believe there were 13 amulances called up the hill for that incident, and one of my students had his leg cut open to the bone on a snowboard (not the fault of the snowboarder at all). Shocked
snow report
Well since this M1 Poma incident is raised, I'll share this tale (not for the faint hearted this probably the most gory accident I am aware off at a ski area), and I think it occured on the same day as the above again on the M1 Poma, as on the day it happened something similar to the above happened on the M1 Poma while i was going up the Lady T-bar..

A skier came off the Poma quite far up, and lost a ski which slid backwards down the middle of the tow track. The brakes due to the sheer icyness failed to slow the ski, and it gathered pace down the up-track. The ski came over the brow of one of the steeper sections of uptrack and become airbone... Shocked

[stop here if you dont like gore]

Approaching the steeper bit of up-track was an unfortunate girl who didnt have a chance to take avoiding action. The ski had gathered sufficient speed, to spear the unfortunate sole through the chest... Shocked The girl died of her injuries before she could be taken off the Mountain. Sad

As someone said above, sometimes it's a case of When your number's up, your number's up! Sad

I should add, that this period saw probably the worst spate of Mountain Accidents on record in the Scottish Highlands. down to the extremely wide spread ice.
ski holidays
Winterhighland, I don't think it was the same day as "my incident" as I would have heard about someone being killed. I know there were several other incidents that day though - at least one on the White Lady T bar......
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy