Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommended small kids instruction at Hemel?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks, we want to take a gaggle of smalls to Hemel sometime in the new year. Four kids:
One is six and did a week of skiing two years ago, and was cruising around the greens happily at the end.
The others are approximately four and, at most, have messed about on skis for 15 minutes (and enjoyed!)

The older one can't really remember how to do it, but I think after half an hour he'll remember and race ahead.

We were thinking of getting a private lesson for the four of them. Is that going to work? Are the kids sufficiently different that we'd need to mortgage our house and get two instructors? Any other suggestions for how we could make this work?

Any recommended instructors? Anything else we should think about?

Thanks a lot folks!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Adetaylor,

Some related info that may help.

I took my six year old daughter for a couple of beginner group lessons during the recent half term at Hemel, I was very pleased with the whole setup. She learnt some control basics on a simple slope with a walk-up track, and started having a go at the rope pull lift at the end of the second lesson. She was in a group of four kids and I was really pleased to see the focus of the instructor was "fun", not "make her ski". Exactly what she needs, and she now can't wait for Zell Am See in March (and neither can I). The hire section was very good and they spent some time working with her on her boots, making changes to make them comfortable. Lots of smiles from the staff who were having to work at full capacity, which was much appreciated.

The restaurant food is OK/effective when I was there for one of the sessions, the queue and wait time was too much for the second session so we popped in to the McDonalds round the corner. I recommend the restaurant as "plan A", just know where the McDonalds is in case you need a "plan B" with a bunch of hungry kids. My experience was during half term, so they were working flat out, January may be quieter?

Keith
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks @Keith_b! Very useful. Maybe the group lessons are the way to go.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Another vote for group lessons for a few reasons:
1) in my experience the 6 year old will be in a different world to the 4 year olds; the hemel group lessons are split appropriately I think - 4-5 have 1 hour, whereas 6+ have 2 hours (or something like that).
2) the group lessons get the best times of day - if you want private lessons at weekends then you need to wait for the end of the day when the snow is very mushed up. We had private lessons the first time we went and the kids skis didn't move when pointed straight down the hill!

I have to say that it is rather a manic experience; don't expect calm and do take plenty of adults. The kitting-up area can be a scrum and the floor is very wet, which makes it difficult for littlies to put on boots without getting soaking socks.

Most of the instructors are very good I think; we have had one grumpy sod, but no doubt he was just having a bad day. The kids didn't seem to notice though; he took it all out on the adults wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy