Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

drive from salzburg to galtur

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
hi

off to galtur/ischgl in Feb. with regard to the drive I'm going to follow the sat nav and go via Germany then down into tirol.
is there any advice on places to go via as we have a few hours to use up on the way

thanks in advance
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you are self catering, there is a supermarket before Ischgl which is cheaper than resort. Also, as you skirt Innsbruck there is a large out of town shopping complex with lots of different outlets. You could visit the Olympic ski jump in Innsbruck, again not far from the motorway if it is open. How people had the courage to do that I just don't know! ( says me nursing a broken leg obtained from an extreme dog walk in the park!) An easy journey though.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@mugen, depending on when you are driving in February, you may find many of your hours used up in traffic jams along the way! wink

However, a really easy shopping centre to reach from the autobahns is to be found at Wörgl just off the A12. Take the Wörgl-West exit (second one and by far the easiest to negotiate) and follow the signs back into Wörgl. At the second roundabout (just after the big indoor swimming pool - Wörgler WasserWelt) you will see a Hofer (Austrian Aldi), an Interspar supermarket and an Avanti petrol station. Take the second exit on the right to access the car parks.

Here you will be able to purchase just about everything you need. I was shopping there yesterday and often make the trip from my home as it is the easiest to reach by far. Austrian Hofer stores sell many of the same products as the German ones, but is considerably cheaper for some reason unknown to me.

Make sure your Sat-Nav is up to date - a 100km/h speed limit came into force on 20th November along the entire A12 from the border at Kufstein to just west of Innsbruck. Lots of new fixed cameras and mobile ones are making sure that it is a profitable change. Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
thank you very much for the information.

this is the first time I've been away skiing during feb half term, I checked the Austrian school hols and it looks like there are only two states on holiday that week (14-21) but didn't check other countries.

thanks so much for the info re speeding, I have been known to have heavy right foot Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@mugen, The slopes may not be so crowded, but the roads will be on that day with folks both coming AND going home. I travel over to the Ski amadé area every weekend in the ski season to manage some holiday apartments for friends - I leave my place at 06.30 at the latest to make sure I avoid the traffic and have time to clean the places after one group leaves and the next arrives.

Bavaria and Saarland begin their holidays that day, Sachsen (Saxony) is continuing theirs, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern and Sachsen-Anhalt are ending theirs. That is just the German states Toofy Grin The Dutch southern area begins their holiday on that Saturday as do several of the Polish areas. The Danes don't have centrally set holidays as each school is free to set its own (which is probably why we see so many of their cars down here at odd periods). Add various other countries to the mix like Belgium, Eastern France and the UK and we have an "interesting" situation.

The shops will be open until 18.00 for sure, some maybe be open up to 20.00 but there are no guarantees outside of the skiing areas. There are no 24/7 supermarkets as found in the UK these days. If you are caught in traffic and running late, there is an Aldi just off the A8 at Junction 107 Felden (on the shores of Chiemsee) that is definitely open until 19:00 on Saturdays as I've used it myself if I'm late coming back from a changeover.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
again thanks so much.. Christ should make for an interesting time.
will be leaving Salzburg airport at around 14:00 so no doubt will be in time to catch the best of the traffic, nice to have company on the roads.

mind you I don't get too bothered sitting in jams, nothing you can do so no point stressing it, I guess could also say it gives a good chance to take in the scenery Smile, always look for the good. I was looking to leave Galtur at 05:30 on the 21st for the reason of jams etc depending on weather that day.

Myself and girlfriend have been learning German so looking forward to mangling a language Smile thanks for info on the supermarkets as well, great info. stuck all this stuff on the tablet, also got felden aldi in the sat nav. I like to be organised.. which means I'll probably forget my skis Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@mugen, if you are landing at 14:00 you may actually be on the back of the travel "wave" so to speak. By the time you've cleared baggage and got your car sorted, the worst should be over and the day trippers will not have started their return journeys yet. Make sure you have a vignette before you hit the motorway in Austria by the way, ASFINAG do not make any allowances whatsoever if you are caught. Check with the hire desk at the airport what the set-up is.

The Aldi at Felden is a good one but does get cleaned out by those who know about it on their way by - loads of Eastern European cars in there most days as well as other nationalities. If you are making good time, head for Wörgl as that is a proper shopping centre with a choice of supermarkets (Hofer and Interspar). As these serve the local permanent populations they have a good choice as well as reasonable prices.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
once again danke schon

in process of checking with rental company right now.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@mugen, if it does not come with one, then buy it at one of the nearby garages (there's a BP on the left of the road from the airport to the A1). Alternatively use the normal road to get across the border crossing at Walserberg (go right at the first lights and stay on that road until you cross the border), It is called the B1 Innsbrucker Bundesstrasse then its name changes to the Walserberg Bundesstrasse after you go under the A1 at Salzburg West. This means you can buy your vignette at any of the service areas between the border at Walserberg and where you cross back into Austria at Kufstein. The last place you can pick one up is the service area at Kiefersfelden which is at the end of the A93 Rosenheim to Kufstein motorway.

The price for a 10-day Vignette is 8.70 Euro for 2015 (up from 8.50 Euro in 2014)
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
thanks so much for the info.
all checked and looks like I have all the vignettes I need as part of the hire agreement.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy