Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easy setup for waxing skis

Poster: A snowHead
Looking to start waxing and looking for the cheapest way to get into it - eventually will start tuning but got now would be useful if I could wax every now and again.

So would like some advice on -

- bench/vice
- iron - dedicated or commercial
- waxes
- brushes - how many what type

Any advice most welcome.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Give our resident snowhead expert Jon a ring

http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The "bench" I use is two old armchairs: shi sits on the arms just before the tips rise at each end. Works just fine - just means when edging/scraping/brushing I have to hold the ski down with one hand. Works just fine.

Dedicated ski bench/vice is better as it frees both hands, but you can get by with a couple of chairs.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I don't use a bench, just put some newspaper on the floor and lay the skis down on top of it.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I use a 1.5m plank (an off cut from DIY store that cost €5) clamped to a small kitchen table. Then ski vices clamped to that.

Must remember to put newspaper down next time as the floor gets very slippy after it's had wax on it!

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 15-12-14 17:49; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I use an old keyboard stand and a chair, have put pipe insulation around the stand to prevent the skis moving. Have a dedicated iron, but there are plenty of youtube videos with people using old clothes irons, although you will need one without a steam function, as it has holes in the bottom. Also I tend not to buy the brake retainers as the perish quite quickly, just stick my boot in the binding to keep the brakes up out of the way.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
No problems with a £10 workmate type thing and an £4 ASDA steam iron. I got a plastic scraper and some wax from Decathlon. A combi brass and nylon brush came from the same source. I have no doubt that better kit helps, but you asked about a cheap starter pack. Works for me.

snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have a tendency to go slightly OTT and went all out. I built my ski tuning bench on the cheap. Most of it came from ikea, laminate work top, feet, lamps. Probably cost me about £60 in total. Got the wall brackets from a closed down blockbuster for nothing. I had the space in my garage to build it so thought why not. Still not overly expensive.
As for all the brushes/vices etc. just got spyderjon's ski tuning kit from www.thepisteoffice.co.uk but there are plenty of cheaper tuning options out there. Do an eBay search. Quality won't be as good but will see you through.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 16-12-14 22:35; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Flaine skier

Do you normally wax the top of your skis as your photo seems to show? Just wondering. wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
irie wrote:
@Flaine skier

Do you normally wax the top of your skis as your photo seems to show? Just wondering. wink

Of course, waxing the top reduces drag and every km/h counts...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Flaine skier, Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've just created my first set-up.

I don't have a garage and my shed is full of junk (note to self; clear out junk). My only option is to use the lean-to/wood store at the side of the house but I couldn't have anything permanent.

I bought these from Amazon. Double sawhorse for £28.19. It looks identical to this Vola Tuning Bench that is on sale for £40. Very Happy Very Happy It seems a Vola label on it increases the price dramatically.

I bought a set of Vola Hobby Vice to complete the bench.

It offers a stable, portable, solution that doesn't take up much space. The vices are not cheap but as my son skis almost every week and has started race training, I can give his skis a quick wax every so often and also an occasional edge sharpen.

My sons 130cm skis sit on the vices fine and don't move much during servicing despite the lack of a centre grip vice.

I haven't tried my 177cm planks yet but if there is an issue I will clamp a piece of decking board to the bench and then mount the Vola Vices to it to provide additional length.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Gaza, That's a pretty common thing to use - I have one permanently setup - and it works fine with longer skis. Although it is somewhat heavy and bulky so I am thinking of investing in a cookski bench - the normal price is a bit excessive but we do have a bunch of vouchers to use which will reduce the amount of ££ I need to hand over.

http://www.skibartlett.com/cookski-ski-service-bench-1718-p.asp
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
RobW wrote:
@Gaza, That's a pretty common thing to use - I have one permanently setup - and it works fine with longer skis. Although it is somewhat heavy and bulky so I am thinking of investing in a cookski bench - the normal price is a bit excessive but we do have a bunch of vouchers to use which will reduce the amount of ££ I need to hand over.

http://www.skibartlett.com/cookski-ski-service-bench-1718-p.asp

I wouldn't say it is too heavy and bulky. The bench itself is c.4kg and folds flat so I can store it on a shelf. I would like to have kept the vices in place rather than remove and refix each time but that is a minor hassle.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Gaza, 4kg plus the weight of the vices is fairly heavy to take away with you, that is why I suggested getting used to waxing over newspaper spread on the floor.

Vola stuff is slightly cheaper from the UK Importer.
latest report
I cut up an old road bike inner tube to use as brake retainers. Does the job, and free if you already hoave one kicking about.
snow conditions
I think the Vice(vises?) will be the most expensive part and £50 is pretty reasonable, Gaza when you are waxing they are not secured in but there seems to be rubber contacts to stop the skis moving?
snow report
The rubber pads do an excellent job of keeping the skis in place both for waxing and edging. There is virtually no linear movement when applying pressure but there can be some lateral movement when scrapping if you get the pressure wrong. I did watch a video of a professional tuner who had built his own rig and he stated he never clamp the skis as he preferred an element of natural movement. There is also a view that when applying the iron to the base to spread the wax that the expansion that occurs can be constricted by the clamps and lead to warping of the base.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy