Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Please help- which skis to buy?!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all!

I have a question about which skis to buy! I've recently moved to Kazakhstan, and Chimbulak is 20 minutes from my flat. I have to go up early to get skiing in before work, and waiting for the ski hire shop to open means I barely get any time. So I want to buy some skis so that I can ski frequently.

I suppose I am a beginner. I've skied for two weeks before, both on the same pair of Salamon beginner skis. I'm confident, but I wouldn't say competent. I can get down reds but it's not pretty. The second time I went, I was starting to work on parallel turns, but I still end up snow ploughing a fair amount.

My question is, should I buy beginner skis or intermediate? I'm not intermediate yet, but I will be skiing a lot over the next year and I don't really want to have to upgrade. Would it be stupid to buy intermediate now? Can I just get by on beginner do you think?

Any help gratefully received!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Gem17, can't you get to the ski hire shop just before closing and hire for the following day? Would save you waiting in the morning.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would, but I work till 10 in the evening so it's unfortunately not possible.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Why not ask to hire a more advanced ski next time you are in the hire shop. If you find that you can handle them then that would answer your question.
Oh, and a belated welcome to snowheads...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Gem17, Welcome. As above, the best advice is to rent out a few skis, find out what you like and then look to buy something at the same level and dimensions. I would err for an intermediate ski but towards the softer and more forgiving end of the scale.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy