Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Inclination.

Poster: A snowHead
Simple question for all you guys who are extreme ski fans: what is the steepest slope it is possible to ski?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
50 degrees? 55 degrees for mentally insane (not that mamy sane people would ski 50 degrees)? A guess. I am assuming you mean sustained slope and ideal snow conditions.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As Big Ben said to the Leaning Tower of Piza...

If you have the inclination I have the time Laughing

A handy conversion chart.
http://www.greenbeltconsulting.com/articles/relationships.html
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
And extreme ski grades from https://www.wildsnow.com/more/ski-descent-rating-system/

The D Scale is the most important part of the D rating and grading System (and may be used without the other scales). Routes are rated on the D Scale according to the difficulty of skiing or snowboarding — such difficulty varies mostly because of terrain features and slope angle, but many other factors play a part as well. Thus, most importantly, routes are rated by public consensus of how routes compare to each other as to technical difficulty (as in rock climbing ratings).

The D Scale ski and snowboard route rating levels

D0 – Flat ground or slightly rolling terrain.

D1- Easy low angled terrain such as beginner run at ski resort.

D2 – Angle around 25 degrees with simple topography.

D3 – Perhaps slightly steeper than D2, or may include more challenging terrain features.

D4 – Similar to an easier "Expert" run at a resort. Slope angles usually around 30 degrees.

D5 – Similar to an "Expert" run at a resort, steeper (35 degree range) or more terrain obstacles than previous rating.

D6 – Similar angles to previous, harder because it might have longer steep sections or complicating terrain features such as longer crux sections, dogleg turns, rollovers, trees, ridges, etc.

D7 – Change in angle category would usually occur here, to slopes probably around 40 degrees. Few terrain obstacles (e.g., steep sections not that long, no cliffs you have to work around, no runnels, easy tree skiing).

D8 – While similar in angle to a D7, terrain, angle or long crux sections make this harder than a D7.

D9 – Slopes probably around 45 degrees. Crux sections are short.

D10 – Slopes probably around 45 degrees, with a few complicating terrain features. This is the spot on the scale where true extreme skiing begins.

D11 – Slopes probably around 45 degrees, moderate amount of complicating terrain features.

D12 - Steeper, and/or complicating terrain features.

D13 – Steepest section probably around 50 degrees, moderate or no terrain obstacles.

D14 – Terrain more difficult, steep sections longer. Steepest section probably around 50 degrees.

D15 – Steepest section of route probably steeper than 50 degrees, harder than previous rating because of terrain, length of cruxes, or steeper angles.

D16 – Angles about the same as previous rating, steep sections may be longer or route has more terrain features.

D17 – Excessive terrain problems and/or steeper terrain (probably over or around 55 degrees) make this harder than previous level on D Scale.

D18 – Larger sections of the route may be steeper than 55 degrees, few or no terrain obstacles.

D19 – Similar angles to previous, extenuating circumstances and plentiful terrain obstacles make the route harder.

D20 – A number of sections probably just under 60 degrees, short sections may be 60 degrees. Little to no terrain obstacles.

D21 - Terrain obstacles common, and/or long sections of the route probably around 60 degrees steep.

D22 - Large sections of route are probably around 60 degrees, skiable snow is connected by technical maneuvers. Numerous terrain obstacles.

D23 – Only experienced on barstools, in TGR films, and in dreams. But this is an open ended system, so go ski or snowboard it and report back.

A more European version... http://www.ibexguides.com/index.php?page=skiing-grades

Rating Terrain: Ascent and Descent Exposure Bottlenecks: Descent Only Slope
Easy F Tame, hilly terrain, no obstacles No danger of sliding out of control No tight spots Under 28°
-
Not Very Difficult PD
+ Usually open slopes with some short steep steps, quick turns might be necessary to avoid some obstacles Short steep sections with gentle run outs Bottlenecks are short and not steep. Around 30°
-
Rather Difficult AD
+ Short steep steps which cannot be avoided, some obstacles in moderately steep terrain, requires quick reactions. Kick turns necessary on the ascent. Longer slide ways with steeps steps. Danger of injury if sliding Bottlenecks are short but steep. Quick turns necessary. Around 35°
-
Difficult D
+ Steep slopes, many obstacles require good skiing skills Long slide ways, partly into blocks, rubble, trees. (danger of death if snow is icy!) Long and steep narrow spots. Short, quick turns still possible Around 40°
-
Very Difficult TD
+ Generally very steep terrain, often with interspersed rock steps, many obstacles Slide ways with steep steps, cliffs (mortal danger!) Long and very steep couloirs. Often jump turns and side slipping necessary. around 45°
Extremely Difficult
ED Extremely steep slopes and couloirs, no safe spots for stopping Extreme exposure Long and very steep couloirs. Only jump turns and side slipping possible Around 50°
Exceptionally Difficult
EX Extremely steep faces and couloirs, only for experts Possibly rappelling necessary over rock ledges 55° and more

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 13-12-14 20:27; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
And a very good article http://www.nytimes.com/1993/03/04/sports/skiing-geronimo-slopes-are-deceptive-at-any-gradient.html
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I did the black Pista 37 in La Thuile in Feb, it had a sign at the top which said '72% gradient, only for experts'...it was as steep as I ever want to ski again! Shocked

...but assuming 45 deg or 1 in 1 is a gradient of 100%, that run was a disappointing 32.4 deg...certainly felt a lot steeper!! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@luigi, A lot depends also on whether people quote the steepest pitch or the average.

The standard Euro grading seems to be this one for off piste... http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Technique/Toponeige-Rating

Toponeige Rating

Technique > Toponeige Ski Touring Rating System

The Toponeige rating system for ski tours was largely developed by Volodia Shahshahani? a Grenoble based ski mountaineer who pioneered many extreme routes in the 1970s in the Dauphiné mountains of France and is still very active. The system has been improved by his collaboration with a number of local ski mountaineers and is in widespread use in the region and on the websites: http://www.volopress.fr, http://www.skitour.fr and http://www.bivouak.net.

The system breaks each tour down into climbing difficulty (cotation marche), ski difficulty (cotation ski) and danger (exposition). The system is used by the Topoguide books published by Volopress. In the United States the ski mountaineers Andrew McClean and Lou Dawson have proposed a similar scheme.
Ski Difficulty

This is split into four levels each with 3 sub levels (4.1 – low, 4.2 – average, 4.3 – high) and a fifth section that is open. All gradings assume transformed (spring) snow or powder.

Level 1: Beginner routes but on mountain terrain with the associated difficulties. Slopes do not exceed 30°(around black piste grading in France), routes, including forest tracks, should allow room to turn. There is less than 800 meters of climbing. Both the danger from falls etc and from avalanche should be low.

Level 2: No real technical difficulty and slopes should not exceed 35°. However the altitude climbed as well as the dangers may be serious.

Level 3: Start of ski mountaineering. Technical sections, long slopes of 35°, short sections of 40-45°. Dense woodland, steep forest tracks.

Level 4: Couloir skiing of steep slopes. Extended sections of 40° with the possibility of short passages to 50°. Very technical routes on mid-mountain areas. Dense woodland with moderate slopes.

Level 5: Very steep slopes, long sections of 45-50° and or significant passages at more than 50°. This section is currently split into six sub-levels (since 2007) with the possibility of extending the levels further upwards should this prove neccessary. Levels 5.1 to 5.4 are in most common usage.
Some examples of 5.5 or 5.6 rated descents

* Aiguille de l'Olan Ecrins 5.5
* Aiguille Verte Nant Blanc, variante Tardivel Mont Blanc 5.6/E4 (5.5 on Skitour)
* Col de l'Aiguille Verte Face nord (du col ouest) 5.5
* Ferdenrothorn 3180 Berner-Oberland 5.6

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 14-12-14 19:38; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you look at this pic from VT the right hand couloir (St Peres) goes at an often easyish E.1

snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Looking at things straight on is completely deceiving. It's possible to ski really steep slopes they just don't exist for a sustained length.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@meh, Very true. The top section of that is approaching 50, the rest is 45 degrees getting to about 40 on the wider section. Can you tell I'm trying to pimp it for the EOSB?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.

http://youtube.com/v/TyzubQQVosQ
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Technically you can ski anything . . . As long as you can survive the landing . . .
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Masque, Toofy Grin
We skied with an instructor in Whistler who showed us how to get down vertical and near vertical stuff. Interesting - they were only short runs obviously but its when it flattens out the fun happens Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Doctorron, this is all too complicated.

Practically, the steepest you get (for any reasonable length) is limited by the gradient at which snow sticks, which is around 60 degrees.

This might give you an idea of quite steep however.

http://youtube.com/v/TIr98KPxvYw

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sun 14-12-14 14:23; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@under a new name, Very, very impressive Cool
snow conditions
@Scarpa, hadn't you seen that before? It is amazing, no?

- and suggests to me that a snowboarder can maybe run lines that skiers couldn't, due to rider geometry.
ski holidays
@Scarpa, I am liking "Frost" http://poemstodrinkaloneto.com/ snowHead
latest report
@under a new name f*** that! Absolutely immense but definitely not for me!
ski holidays
@under a new name, Awwww..... thanks for that Blush
ski holidays
And no, I hadn't seen that run. I think in the past that boarders definitely had the advantage in the side on approach in deep snow, but with heavily rockered fat skis... not so sure nowadays Puzzled
latest report
@Scarpa, i don't think I'll be testing that limit, myself. snowHead
latest report
Scarpa wrote:
@luigi, A lot depends also on whether people quote the steepest pitch or the average.

The standard Euro grading seems to be this one for off piste.

Toponeige Rating

Technique > Toponeige Ski Touring Rating System

Scarpa please don't copy a whole page from my website and pass it off as your own work.
snow conditions
Every morning before breakfast....not. Truly awesome.

On a more serious note, thanks for all the info guys; very informative.
snow conditions
luigi wrote:
I did the black Pista 37 in La Thuile in Feb, it had a sign at the top which said '72% gradient, only for experts'...it was as steep as I ever want to ski again! Shocked

...but assuming 45 deg or 1 in 1 is a gradient of 100%, that run was a disappointing 32.4 deg...certainly felt a lot steeper!! Very Happy

That slope can be very difficult and I know that at least 1 person has paid the ultimate price having fallen there. It deserves respect for sure. Sad
latest report
@davidof, Many apologies... I though that I had linked everything. Not trying to pass anything off as my own, I even said that it was a guide to European ratings. If you had looked closely you may have seen that I was linking a series of articles and giving credit to each one so that the OP could get an idea of the ratings out there. Looks like my paste of your link was deleted when I was editing or I just missed doing the paste.

A simple 'heads up' that I'd omitted it would have been less rude you know ya cantankerous gnarly mountain dude wink *shakes head*
snow report
Scarpa wrote:

Whilst I'm not good enough to get down that, this guy doesn't look like he's having much fun... What's the draw? He git down it but looked like just dude slipping it?
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@Doctorron, this is all too complicated.

Practically, the steepest you get (for any reasonable length) is limited by the gradient at which snow sticks, which is around 60 degrees.

This might give you an idea of quite steep however.

http://youtube.com/v/TIr98KPxvYw

Thanks for that. Very helpful.

Great video. That's steep. Think I will not be trying quite that much inclination....... I want to go on living for a while........

On the subject of steep pisted runs have done La Thuile and agree it's not something you want to fall on; that was about as steep as I want! Have done Whistler, their Dave Murray men's downhill years ago and seem to remember that was a bit steep in places, but fairly wide so no real problems. However this makes an interesting read tho, so maybe it was a bit steeper than I remember, but then I had my kids on my tail!

Or maybe they just go faster than I do........

http://www.onthesnow.co.uk/news/a/582077/top-five-olympic-downhill-ski-runs

Once again many thanks.

On the piste

Doctorron
snow report
@Levi215, The top section is very narrow, most people abseil the first 30m so the side slipping is allowed wink I agree though, once it opens up there is scope for nicer turns to be made.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have to doubt that that's actually 60 degrees from the way he skis it. Maybe I'm missing something from usually watching videos of skiers (and occasionally boarders) doing steep lines but at 55 its really jump turns only. Terje skies that more or less like a normal slope.

Maybe I'm just not familiar with what a board can do and perhaps they don't need to jump turn. I do remember seeing a video of Marco Siffredi boarding something ridiculously steep though and he was definitely jump turning.

I think you can probably side slip 70 degrees for a bit, but you'd never do it over a slope at any length. Like if you cut a turn in a zig zag piste that's cut into a face by piste bashers its often very steep, but you couldn't realistically make turns on it I don't think.
snow conditions
Levi215 wrote:
Scarpa wrote:

Whilst I'm not good enough to get down that, this guy doesn't look like he's having much fun... What's the draw? He git down it but looked like just dude slipping it?

+1
snow report
@emwmarine, Given that he posted it on you tube it may well be a step up for him and the first 5.1 he has done. OK, he's made heavy going of it and slipped most of the steep stuff, but seeing as it is an easy route for the grade and there are not many vids of it up I like to think that it is an amazing memory for him and one that he is proud of. As he keeps stopping and looking up and down this makes it even more likely. In fact, looking at the vid I think that he has had amazing fun. Everyone has to start somewhere; I myself would start with the easier lines to the left of this as I am not that confident of my turns on steep ground. I posted the vid more to showcase the line rather than the boarder who is just a guy having a day out rather than a pro rider. Christ, haven't you guys ever had fun doing something in a slightly crap style that is a bit harder than anything you have ever tried before?

OK, we could all just post the best vids of pro's out there, or we could also start doing stuff ourselves. I'm happy seeing a mix, some amazing lines, and some people more at lower levels having a fucking go at things. The draw is pushing yourself and trying something that makes you excited. Your own comment and @Levi215's seemed to be more along the lines of someone who has just watched someone doing a black and then taking the piss out of a 'punter' on a blue run.

That line is one that is available to most people (who do off piste and don't mind skinning or a climb up) on the EOSB at Val Thorens, I posted it up in the hope that it may inspire folk to try doing something a little more out of the ordinary.

This thread seems to have taken a very judgmental turn Sad

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 15-12-14 2:03; edited 6 times in total
snow report
PS... I still need someone on the bash to partner me on this descent, aiming to start on the easier of the three and work my way along. I'm a winter climber so any ropework, abs and pro will be taken care of.
snow report
Quote:

Christ, haven't you guys ever had fun doing something in a slightly crap style that is a bit harder than anything you have ever tried before?

I know I have. It's character building Very Happy In a slightly masochistic sort of way.

To be fair, the top section of that couloir is pretty damn narrow. It is quite hard to be fluid with your jump turns (skier here but suspect its not too different on a board) when you know if you land a little in the backseat, your tips will jet off into the rock! I don't mind the gradient in that one but coupled with the narrowness? hmmm.

On Terje's vid I don't agree with this:

Quote:

I have to doubt that that's actually 60 degrees from the way he skis it. Maybe I'm missing something from usually watching videos of skiers (and occasionally boarders) doing steep lines but at 55 its really jump turns only. Terje skies that more or less like a normal slope.

The last section that gets him onto the main face from the shoulder is silly steep. He basically takes it in a fast sideslip and is getting a little air in places. That looks like 60 degrees to me. I don't think the main face is 60 but no one said it was.

I suspect boards do have advantages on the steepest deep snow like Alaska but I think the steepest lines around say Chamonix tend to be skied on firmer snow where skis have the edge(s)?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy