Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Clothing and equipment general Q

Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys, brilliant forum... wish I had found it earlier....

Im returning to skiing after some 18 years away and dragging the wife and two kids along....
SO I will need equipment for all of them lol....

Doing a search on here ive kind of found out bits and bobs about what I need to buy etc etc but was wondering about the following....

Firstly, went into SD and looked at the Campri and the Nevica stuff they had in stock.... I wasn't liking Campri BUT the Nevica stuff seemed pretty decent for cheap gear....
Yes I know its owned by SD but surely it cant be that bad....
for eg, Nevica Vail jacket, £60 10000k / pockets everywhere / snow skirt and internal sleeves and was very comfortable.....
all the other vail stuff seemed pretty good too. Kids meribel jackets for £29.99 Puzzled

I understand they are not the branded items we will probably see on the slopes and some may turn there noses up BUT kitting out 4 people isn't cheap.
I am more interested will these keep the missus and kids reasonably comfortable ? OR are they rearly rearly rubbish and they will be cold / wet or whatever....

Basically I can spend about £450.00 to kit all 4 of us out at SD and it affords me being able to try things on for size.... hence its not worth doing ebay etc
If the family enjoys it, I could maybe upgrade gear over years etc .... but it just seems silly blowing more on stuff that may only ever see a weeks use....

any help and advice would be massively appreciated

cheers
OG

Laughing
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Check out local Aldi, Lidl, TK Maxx and Costco stores. Aldi and Lidl might have slim pickings as i think they've already had in their ski stuff. But you might still find gloves, socks, thermals, goggles etc. TK Maxx is good for jackets, solopettes, fleeces, soft shells and gloves. Costco good for jackets, gloves and helmets.

For my first trip in 2008 I got a Lafuma jacket and some generic salopettes from TX Maxx for £60. The jacket was awesome and I even sold it on ebay for £30 a few years later when i fancied a change.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mountain warehouse is doing kids packs for about £60 for everything. They grow out of it so fast it is not worth getting the top stuff, just layer them up.
Ad above , TKmaxx is your friend if you have a store near by. I got my jacket 7 years ago and it is indestructible .

Don't buy tube socks.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mountain warehouse has had some decent enough home-brand kit, good enough quality and quite reasonably priced too. SD perfectly alright - is it the best kit in the world, no, but it'll be warm enough and do you for a few years. As always work in layers and you'll be fine, you don't have to break the bank.

Worth having a look at some online retailers though. I recommend Westbeach for really good general purpose ski/snowboard clothing, though it tends to be cut on the baggy side.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cheers all for such a quick response, I suppose SD is going to be ok for cheap cover it all type thing then see how the years change that....

http://www.sportsdirect.com/nevica-vail-ski-jacket-mens-403825?colcode=40382503

I think this is safe enough at £60 (I know it says £89 but it isn't) - good spec

OR

we are not going till mid March, should I wait for sales ? Is there a best time to buy ?

cheers
og
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd guess the Nevica gear will probably be fine, although I have no experience with it. That Vail jacket has the must-have zip vents under the arms, a zip off hood and it is very cheap! Perhaps the materials won't be quite as good at wicking sweat away from the body as more expensive gear, perhaps it won't be as warm, perhaps it won't have taped seams, or perhaps we just get conned into buying more expensive stuff by clever/manipulative marketing people.

I think I paid about £250 for my insulated Schoffel jacket in 2007. One of the zips broke within a week or two. One of the other zips randomly refuses to close, depending on its mood. Other than that it's a great jacket, but my point is that even a more expensive jacket can have its faults.

£450 for all four of you sounds like a proper bargain and as you say, you can always upgrade later if the family gets hooked on it.

Hopefully someone with actual experience of Nevica gear will answer you too. Welcome to Snowheads.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thanks Walter-spitty

zips are taped seamed Little Angel

I hope nobody gets me wrong, I totally understand that this is bargain price equipment and I am defo not trying or suggesting it competes with the more branded/higher spec stuff....
Im just trying to strike a happy medium of price / being comfortable to a point of not putting them off as this is our first trip and presumably uncomfortable equals they wont want to do it again rolling eyes Laughing

SD is handy as they can see/try it on and that's nearest to me rolling eyes

even there goggles and helmets seem cheap enough ....

cheers
og
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@OLDGIT ST, My first ski gear in early 90s was Nevica, it was excellent and lasted years
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I expect that Nevica kit will be fine. It may not offer the protection you get from top spec kit in the worst conditions, but are you really going to spend a lot of time out in the worst conditions or will you retire to a bar for a hot chocolate?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes, I remember Nevica from back then BUT its now owned by SD .... but doesn't follow they will ruin it like they have some brands... if anything I think there trying to do the opposite with Nevica.... I maybe wrong though lol

And yes Arno.... I haven't skied for soo long I will probably be in the bar or watching the wife at ski school Shocked Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@OLDGIT ST, For the price.. I'd go for it
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mango wrote:
Check out local Aldi, Lidl, TK Maxx and Costco stores.

I'd definitely add Decathlon to that list. Did pretty well from there in a similar situation to yours. Plenty of good value stuff. Thermals and trousers in particular.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I bought junior some Nevica gloves end of last season. They seem very good for the money.

I've still got a Nevica jacket from when I was a teenager, and that is a lot of grey hair ago Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cool, can anyone recommend a good starter set of thermals/baselayer for the kids (well there 12/14 lol) ....

is it just the thermal layer followed by salopettes for legs and a fleece on the top half followed by jacket....

recommedations much appreciated...I was thinking :-

http://www.sportsdirect.com/nevica-thermal-zip-top-mens--402210?colcode=40221018

with a lightweight fleece over the top followed by jacket.

cheers
og
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
OLDGIT ST wrote:
thanks Walter-spitty

zips are taped seamed Little Angel

I hope nobody gets me wrong, I totally understand that this is bargain price equipment and I am defo not trying or suggesting it competes with the more branded/higher spec stuff....
Im just trying to strike a happy medium of price / being comfortable to a point of not putting them off as this is our first trip and presumably uncomfortable equals they wont want to do it again rolling eyes Laughing

SD is handy as they can see/try it on and that's nearest to me rolling eyes

even there goggles and helmets seem cheap enough ....

cheers
og

Nothing wrong with the gear in SD... I would be straight in there for kitting out a family of 4. The Aldi gear looks ok as well for the price if you have a store near you.
For info on my first skiing trip I bought the Campri gear and it was fine. Not going to set the world alight in terms of style and quality but the point being is I didn't know if I was going to like Skiing so didn't want to spend a lot. I've treated myself to a new jacket this year(TKMAXX) due to the lack of pockets in my other jacket(can never have enough pockets!)
Still using my salopettes (campri), nothing wrong with them.
For info, the helmets in Aldi are fine also, i should know i bought one for 20 quid wink

Your kids will grow out of stuff quickly, so i wouldn't be forking out on the expensive stuff Smile
latest report
Quote:

we are not going till mid March, should I wait for sales ? Is there a best time to buy ?

that's too early for end of season sales, and if you see what you want in SD or TK Maxx or similar - go for it. Then you've all got cosy stuff for outdoor outings through the winter at home.
snow report
Wasn't Graeme Bell wearing the Nevica stuff on ski sunday last year....

SD will do you all fine, as will the other retailers listed above.

The only things worth spending decent money on for your first trip are Socks (not tube) and gloves (cold wet hands is no fun!).
ski holidays
@OLDGIT ST, the Nevica stuff looks rather good actually. Go for it.
snow report
Anything from Aldi/Lidl/TK Maxx is pony. Try somewhere like Blue Tomato. Your kids will thank you.
snow report
Nevica meribel jacket on offer 29.99

http://www.sportsdirect.com/this-weeks-offer#dcp=1&dppp=100&OrderBy=rank
snow report
http://www.bedgeburycollection.com/product_info.php?products_id=161

Bargain!!
latest report
Still some stuff in Aldi. Cheap and reasonable quality. Last year I was in there randomly and got salopettes AND jacket for a 7yr old girl for £7!
ski holidays
I just bought my son a nevica ski jacket for £22 online - in the shops they had them for £35! The Nevica gloves were also about £3 more expensive in the shops than online
ski holidays
remember you all not be going as fast as the past and with family so stay warm.

Base laters for you and partner.
I use the XTM myself..... very nice and warm.
http://www.tkmaxx.com/mens-ski+snowboarding/charcoal-merino-baselayer-bottoms/invt/02080710 £20
http://www.tkmaxx.com/mens-ski+snowboarding/khaki-merino-crew-neck-baselayer-top/invt/02080802 same £2
http://www.tkmaxx.com/womens-ski+snowboarding/aqua-merino-baselayer-bottoms/invt/02082339 same £20

running total £80

Mitts (no point in having cold hands)
http://www.tkmaxx.com/womens-ski+snowboarding/white-ski-mittens/invt/02020370 £25
http://www.tkmaxx.com/womens-ski+snowboarding/black-leather-mittens/invt/02020833 £25
plus same for kids

running total £180

All you need now is a fleece each and jacket plus trousers

Mens jacket
http://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/467738
womens something similar.

running total £250

add £60 form kids

running total £310

trousers from TKMAX
£30 x2 for kids -= £370 and £40-50 for the adults = $450

Also you can go for the Tresspass DLX (it i their top of the range) and not too bad. Look in TKmax

also tog24 is goos value
latest report
@OLDGIT ST, try Uniqlo for base layers/thermals (Heatech on their website). Not sure where you are but if you're not in the London area, you'd have to look online. Bear in mind that their stuff comes up fairly small though. ULD layers (down jackets and gilets) are bloody marvellous for the money Very Happy
ski holidays
For Base layers, try Decathlon, we (Family of 3) went to Lapland a couple of years ago, V cold, but understanding the principle of Base layers, we kitted our self out with the Decathlon layers, not once were we caught out with the cold. Yes they are cheap, no they are not the named brands, but they do work applied correctly.
ski holidays
@OLDGIT ST,

You started skiing 18 years ago. Unless you spent big money back then, the cheap SD stuff will probably be a step up from what you started with. My first ski trip was 30 years ago, it's a surprise I didn't freeze to death.

My advice: good socks, good base layer, good gloves, comfortable light fleece. For the top layer, just make sure you like the colour/styling. The only reason I replaced my £30 Dare2Be jacket was that I didn't like the colour. Also I find that paying for a better grade of ski/boot hire results in a much better service from the ski shop.

ski holidays
As the title of this thread is "Clothing and Equipment General Q(uestions)" I thought I'd draw people's attention to the fact that Lidl are selling kilts for just £30! (with leather sporrans for an additional £9.99),see Daily Telegraph report. Ideal for Burns Night (25th Jan)! Madeye-Smiley

Of course if you are a proud Scotsman you can even go skiing in a kilt (although sometimes it can get windy round the Trossachs)..... Toofy Grin

snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We were in a similar situation last years - Got the children kit mainly from Decathlon (base layer and fleece) and from Trespass jackets and salopettes.
latest report
As long as it's warm and basically water resistant you're pretty much good.
latest report
ebay has a lot of 2nd hand ski stuff that's been used for a week, particularly kids stuff.
ski holidays
Mountain warehouse has a 70% off sale on their ski gear right about now ( funk soul brother) Another shout for xlm merino from tkmaxx too.
snow report
Another vote for TK Maxx, I have a set of the XLM thermals and they are some of my best I would say, and my Mammut jacket I love came from there too but that probably did cost a little more.
snow report
Its all fine, I have expensive and cheap stuff, there is v little difference. Check for pockets and decent zips, other than that nowadays I just pick colours I like! Aj x
snow report
@Alastair Pink, I saw a group of scots lads skiing in Andorra one year, all I could think of was the breeze under the sporran, sure they would need a magnifying glass to find their lad at the end of the day.
Toofy Grin
ski holidays
When I first read this thread I thought it was an old one of mine as
a) I'm an old git
b) I dragged the wife and 2 kids along on a trip after a 17 year absence

When we first went we didn't want to risk spending a load on gear that may have been redundant after a week so we dis as has been suggested many times above and kitted out of TKMaxx,Decathlon and a local ski shop that sold last season's gear. Don't listen to the advice from Fenoit above about TKMaxx being pony as you can pick up some real bargains (Spyder jacket for £100 anyone?) and it's especially good for socks and gloves
Decathlon for base and fleece layers
Also, try looking at local shops that rent. We bought a couple of ex rental sallopettes for the kids a couple of years ago for £20 or so and they were(still are) perfectly fine
Having said that, you will probably get a brand new pair in TKMaxx for the same price

We are on our 9th year this year and ,as you say, have upgraded our stuff as we have gone along

One question though as you mention helmets, do the kids not get them free with ski and boot hire? Just a thought to save luggage space
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy