Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why is that Arc'teryx jacket so expensive?

Poster: A snowHead
Verging on being a puff piece but this goes some way to explaining it

http://www.powder.com/gear/behind-675-alpha-sv-arcteryx-jacket/

Whether you think all that money and effort is worth it is another matter obvs Cool
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Think that's expensive : look at this !!! http://shop-us.bogner.com/down-jacket-ashton-d-104657.html
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Arno, I would suggest that

a. it's fantastic that they do put so much effort into the kit and it's reflected in the product and

b. I would struggle to find any other brand that I'd trust and pay for given the mileage that I, my OH and friends have got from every single item we've used with the logo on it. (Freebie baseball caps and cotton t shorts excepted).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@under a new name, I've never quite taken to Arc's styles (being a fashion victim and all that...) but never doubted their quality
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@geoffers, AND HORRIFIC!!!

@Arno, Im with you here. No doubt the quality is great, but personally I prefer the Ortovox shells - When I change my current insulated to a shell Ill probably go with them
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@PaulC1984, @geoffers, 'Wear it on the slopes and in the city' .... I think NOT
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Dzmarc, It might work to put off that ex whos been stalking you tho Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
that's pretty tasteful by Bognor standards
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@PaulC1984, good point, everyone has said how good looking I am. Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Dzmarc, good looking for a human or when compared to a mountain goat?! Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@PaulC1984, at least if I was a mountain goat, i'd be spending all year in the mountains ... i'd drop the looks for that. snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Dzmarc, a goat skiing - that would be funny
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name wrote:
@Arno, I would suggest that

a. it's fantastic that they do put so much effort into the kit and it's reflected in the product and

b. I would struggle to find any other brand that I'd trust and pay for given the mileage that I, my OH and friends have got from every single item we've used with the logo on it. (Freebie baseball caps and cotton t shorts excepted).

Love where your post appears and below which link. I feel that way about Bogner too.

Oh, wait...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I do think Arcteryx still do the "less is more" functional design thing better than any other brands although the gap has closed quite a bit. Their products are deceptively simple but when you wear them you do appreciate that every little thing has been though through well and they never burden stuff with superfluous folds/zips/seams. You pay for it though. That said compared to some other brands at least you are getting something for the money...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Harry Flashman, i should have been clear that I was in fact discussing Bogner, shouldn't? None of that Canadian (Chinese) Arc'teryx tat.
snow report
@under a new name, the world's auction house has Arcteryx tat for a fraction of the retailer price.

Having said that...... I get most my ski stuff from eBay......... but NOT the Chinese import-rip-off-kit.

Madeye-Smiley
snow report
@geoffers, that jacket is ridiculously short. I don't mind the fabric, if it was just a bit longer. If he raises his arms he'll be showing his navel. Absurd. Looks like a tank top with arms.
latest report
I am pretty sceptical about most expensive ski ware and am about the furthest thing from a fashion model you can imagine, with most people thinking that a sack of potatoes has a certain je ne sais quoi chic compared with myself.
However I was pointed to Arcteryx salopettes on snowheads about 9 years ago and they have lasted me longer than any other pair I have had and still look fairly wearable at least by my standards. I am seriously impressed by them,would definitely buy again.
snow conditions
After all the rhetoric - and no small amount of hyperbole, it's just a waterproof shell, nothing more. Just a waterproof shell, period. I can think of at least four or five other brands that won't rip the consumer off as much and work equally well but, alas, don't come with bragging rights for all the conspicuously myopic hipsters sipping their wretched hipster IPA beer at day's end................

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 13-12-14 3:11; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@equinoxranch,
Quote:

After all the rhetoric - and no small amount of hyperbole, it's just a waterproof shell, nothing more. Just a waterproof shell, period. I can think of at least four or five other brands that won't rip the consumer off as much and work equally well

Mebbe but no others have lasted as long for me so I may have paid a little more but I have had far more use out of them than any other ski trousers I have owned.
ski holidays
equinoxranch wrote:
After all the rhetoric - and no small amount of hyperbole, it's just a waterproof shell, nothing more. Just a waterproof shell, period. I can think of at least four or five other brands that won't rip the consumer off as much and work equally well but, alas, don't come with bragging rights for all the conspicuously myopic hipsters sipping their wretched hipster IPA beer at days end................

Feel free to choose other brands.
You'll also be pleased to know there is a good microbrewery (in fact might be two) right near the Arcteryx factory in case you fancy a "wretched IPA" with your jacket Cool
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
@geoffers, that jacket is ridiculously short. I don't mind the fabric, if it was just a bit longer. If he raises his arms he'll be showing his navel. Absurd. Looks like a tank top with arms.

I thought that! Ignoring the obvious Bogner price silliness etc, it's just too short.

I'm sure Arcteryx is decent gear but I don't like shells, I prefer padded jackets. Can't afford it anyway.
snow report
But, @equinoxranch, two things:

Are the others you mention available in Europe? I have heard excellent reports about a couple of good value brands but they're only available in N.A.

Based on my own and others (including a few hard working high mountain guides who buy it despite getting most things they want kit wise for free) Arc'teryx is better designed (if it fits) and lasts (significantly) longer in similar working circumstances. Now, I don't use it the way a guide would, but do ski most weekends and several weeks a year.

Just as reference, my year round goto jacket, a Gamma AR is now 13 years old, and while a little faded, still does what it says on the tin. No other item of clothing I have ever possessed has that record.
snow conditions
Surely myopic hipsters will be wearing a lumberjack shirt, skinny jeans and a floppy beanie while riding their child sized BMX rather than wearing some not very hip goretex.
snow report
Dave op de Marmottes...........

Stop, stop.................... Just stop. You had me at skinny (and way too short) jeans. You had me at skinny jeans.
Actually hipsters do wear Gore-Tex(®) so long as it is reeking of rancid B.O. and sprinkled with beard dandruff.
snow report
My goretex shell, Mountain Equipment Changabang, has done about 8 years and is still going strong. My Berghaus walking goretex that I used for winter climbing and some skiing is now 27 years old and still in use as a fishing jacket.
snow report
Just snagged an AR Beta from facewest with 25% off plus a further 10% for advent! I'm chuffed.
ski holidays
http://www.facewest.co.uk/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=BASK&Action=ADPR&Product_code=Advent-Day-14-cloth&Quantity=1&redirect=http://www.facewest.co.uk/Clothing-Sale.html

Works until tomorrow morning.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy