Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buy skis in resort vs internet

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am going skiing for a season next year and want to get my first set of skis. I am a an advanced skier willing to ski anything on the mountain so I am looking for all mountain skis.

When I previously hired skis, I needed to try a few different skis to get some that I am comfortable with and do what I want. Now I think that I could now make a good guess at the skis that I want, for example Salomon X-Drive 8.8 FS.

My question is if anyone has bought skis in resort and thinks it is worth the increased price to try the skis before buying.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@MATT2455, no. No-one ever buys skis in resorts.

Before the internet, no-one ever bought skis. Ever.

I frequently have bought skis in resorts. Usually at better prices than I would find online. And I usually get to try them first.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@MATT2455, It is a bit tricky testing skis on the internet or in the UK. I suppose you could always test them in the resort then buy on the internet or call into the big shops in Grenoble or Albertville and buy at a discount. Or if price really matters buy ex hire skis in the resort at the end of the season.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@MATT2455,

If you're doing a season and not as a slave, your skiing skills and demands ought to change (improve) over the time. So what you want from your skis when you arrive will hopefully not be what you want when (if) you choose to leave.

So it makes much more sense to buy out there, many shops will have prior years' stock (probably not of the most popular models) or ex-rental. Or you can make good friends with a shop/shops to the point that they'll sell them at reduced margin.

Or buy second hand from someone who's objectives are similar but a few months ahead of yours.

Many many options, few of which optimally satisfied by buying based on crappy reviews over the interwebs.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There is a lot of discussions on places/equipment to buy on the internet here, but not much about buying in resort.

Thanks for the tips and will see what is available in resort (Chamonix) when I get there in January.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@MATT2455, If you go to Chamonix, it is the place with most ski/equipment shops I came accross anywhere in Europe. BTW, you will also be not far from Sallanches Smile But as I understand the factory shop only serves race clubs ...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
In Chamnix, there is the Dynastar test centre. So that brand is covered.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@MATT2455, Daft question I know but............ if you are an advanced skier,
Quote:
I am going skiing for a season next year and want to get my first set of skis. I am a an advanced skier willing to ski anything on the mountain so I am looking for all mountain skis.

When I previously hired skis, I needed to try a few different skis to get some that I am comfortable with and do what I want. Now I think that I could now make a good guess at the skis that I want, for example Salomon X-Drive 8.8 FS.

My question is if anyone has bought skis in resort and thinks it is worth the increased price to try the skis before buying
why your first set of skis now?

Short answer............................ nope! Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

if price really matters buy ex hire skis in the resort at the end of the season.

I've always thought those prices rather optimistic, given the thrashing they've usually had. But I've only ever been a casual browser, not a serious shopper.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@MATT2455, in resort and try before you buy ALL the time! Simples wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As other snowheads say, try before you buy! Particularly if you are looking for "all mountain" skis: these are generally wider underfoot and you may find that they compromise piste performance. In terms of buying, a lot of my mates have used www.sport-conrad.com and www.ekosport.fr - Ekosport also has an outlet near Albertville, an easy drive from Chamonix.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My latest skis took a lot of research over... Eventually found the best prices.. Cheapest was In store in halifax !!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@pam w, If you are looking for top end skis then quite often they haven't been out that much, but you do have to search and inspect and say no if you are not interested.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for advice. It was good to talk to someone in the shop and get some good advice.

I have got my skis and been out for a few runs!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy