Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

goggles and helmets: Indulge my newbiness please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
o.k, I came into skiing as a climber wanting to get to routes and found I really enjoy it (who knew it could be fun... Very Happy )

I used to ski without a helmet, or wearing a petzl meteor iii simply because it was on my head rather than in my bag going into and coming down things like the valle blanche and from the top of grand montets after doing a climb.

As such my goggles were cheapish ones that were about 10 years old.

I recently bought some oakley crowbars as I was sick of things steaming up etc.

so....... after also getting into skiing for the sake of it and also day ski tours like cold du passon etc I am now thinking of getting a helmet but the choice is so huge it's ridiculous.

I don't care about looks etc, but am assuming that goggle fit is probably a primary issue.

Does anyone know helmets that have a good fit with oakley airbrakes, or would my petzl suffice?

Advice much appreciated.

phil
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Best thing to do is get down to your nearest shop, take your goggles and try some on, as helmets always fit different people in different ways. Then go online and get it cheaper Twisted Evil If you have had fogging issues in the past you want to make sure that the helmet you go for allows the air to flow out of the top of the goggle. So check the underside of the front of the helmet for some form of venting that will not impede the hot air coming out of the top of your goggle.

You should find that the crowbar and the airbrake with its outriggers should work well with most helmets.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
climbing and ski helmets are protecting different things AIUI - climbing helmets are mainly meant to protect you from rock fall, while ski helmets are meant to protect you from impacts when your head is rapidly decelerating. so first question is what you are looking to protect yourself from.
personally, i don't bother with a helmet for full day tours, but generally wear one for lift served skiing where I spend much more time downhill skiing and also more time in the presence of blue run heroes who might take me out
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
There are plenty of helmets which are certified for both climbing and skiing (and in some cases cycling as well). You get the advantages of full protection for both sports, and with the simple removal of the ear pieces both Winter and Summer use.

Examples are the Scott Couloir, Camp Pulse, CEBE Trilogy, Dynafit Radical Race etc.

I think helmet/goggle compatibility is pretty much a given these days, as it was mainly an issue for the goggles designed before helmets were common. As mentioned above, your head shape is the most critical aspect in helmet selection, both from the comfort and safety viewpoints. Whatever you buy, wear it for a couple of hours before cutting off the tags, just to make sure there are no pressure points.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy