Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Has anyone ever pulled off a cheap, last minuet half term ski holiday?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So I was thinking, as you do after a bottle of red that it is quite possible for me, mrs HD and the boy D to get away at half term...

We've already got two holidays booked so it would be a cheap as chips affair and can easily be left until wednesday/thursday of the week before to book.

He's off anyway, it's mrs HD's (an accountant) quiet period as all the tax returns will be safely out of harms way and I can get the time off.

I'm not fussed what we stay in as long as there is snow and I don't mind self catering but the questions is, has it been done before? My first thought was flights and are they going to be full well in advance and therefore failing at the first hurdle.

I'm talking about £200 PP type holidays here as a ball park figure.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
And to add another item into the mix, if we drove for a week what's the closest ski resort to the chunnel?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@homers double, only time we managed a cheap half-term deal was by booking the same apartment we'd stayed in that Easter on the day e got home. As they had just been added to the brochure they were at a bargain price, and on both occasions we were upgraded. Might be possible if you were willing to drive to resort. As you say, flights will be full.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@homers double, flights are now in very short supply for HT week, and although there is accommodation at the moment, it's not being discounted even IF no flights available. If you'd drive and self-cater, with only three of you there would be some decent 1 bedroom apartments in good resorts, but I'd be stunned and eat the hats of several complete strangers, if you were to find anything at any stage, for £200 pp wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I would go just before or after the half term week, as you'd have half a chance of a deal then. Just don't ask the school for permission as they will say no. Just ring in sick each morning; will take 30 seconds, no biggie.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Montana, So would I, hence asking the question.

@faithsdaddy, Of course that is an option (allegedly...)

Euro Tunnel isn't that expensive assuming we blast down south straight after school finishes and find cheap digs for the night.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes, drove to the Dolomites last year. Accommodation for six 800€
Shorter drive to the Vosges, but not much cheap accommodation.
Did a trip to Slovakia departing Monday coming back Sunday which was good value a couple of years ago (flight to Bratislava or Vienna).
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
HD- I would rule out driving and any self catering options as it's bound to work out cheaper overall getting half board or chalet catered.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I’m going to stick my neck out and say £200 is impossible. Accommodation is incredibly tight, tour operator flights are limited. If you use some man-maths on the driving you can convinced yourself its cheaper, but I doubt that you could get to the Alps for less than £400 return by car. (£100 channel, £120 tolls, £200 fuel) and that’s before you allow for wear and tear, European breakdown cover etc.. That’s most of your £200/person budget gone before you have anywhere to stay.

By way of example for DIY:
Easyjet flexi fare (I won’t bore again on this, there’s a couple of other threads) LGW-GVA return £135/person is still available.
Easybus to Chamonix £15/person return
Small apartment c. £500 (if you could get one).

£320/head.

This wouldn't work as a last minute deal, you'd need to fix it now.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@snowdave, Driving is fine as its a company car, first tank of fuel is effectivly free and I already have euro breakdown cover in place.

It would be entirely funds dependant after shristmas etc.

I've just found an apartment for 350 euros for the week in question.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We managed 4 days skiing, travelling Tuesday - Sunday last Half term for three of us for £1,600 inc half board, lift pass and equipment. Was with Snowcoach to Valmeinier. We had a great time. I think we'd have struggled to get cheaper.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote: "Has anyone ever pulled off a cheap, last minuet half term ski holiday?"

Personally I prefer gently waltzing down the slopes...... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Airbnb would be a really good bet for a cheap flat (I've found some really cheap stuff in Andorra, chamonix and cervinia using airbnb).

I've not looked for this year but a couple of years ago we went to Andorra in half term using "the Internet traveller" site and it was half board with flights, transfers lift pass hire and lessons for 700 each for the week - obviously more expensive than your 200 aim but has a lot of extras in there that you would need to pay for on top of your 200...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What about Scotland?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy