Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why no love for skiset?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
When you click on the highlighted text link for skiset * in a post you're taken to a page saying not use them, out of interest what's wrong with them?

* edited to add: including this one
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@897sma, not entirely sure but think other companies support Snowheads when you click through and rent from them. AFAIK skiset doesn't do that. As a result people (like me) use and reccomend other companies that do support places like this, otherwise I would have to pay or tolerate loads of ads to have a place to play.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@897sma, if I remember correctly "Sir" had a bad experience but I don't know the details. I just remember reading that answer when someone else asked about the weird page/link.

I have used them without any problems for large groups in the past. I think it not so much SkiSet that are the problem as the operator (i.e. ski shop) themselves that I suppose can be a problem.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Agree with Sue, the operators seem to resent Skiset and the business they send their way.
Low prices anyway to compete with the other internet players and then Skiset take their commision.
I have been told if we contact the shop directly they will match the Skiset price as their will be more in it for them.
This is the smaller independents by the way.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I thought the issue was with SkiSet head office rather than local shop but could be wrong Confused .

I've used them with discount codes and booked in advance. No problems with the hireing experience but I'm often not sure that Gold/Platinum level skis that you pre-book on t'interweb are actually Gold/Platinum level when they give you them in the shop.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Apparently Mr. Admin had a bad experience with them, but the more general concern is if there's a problem when you turn up to collect your pre-booked equipment from the shop. The shop often can't help if they're just an independent store which also gets business via Ski Set; Ski Set might not help as they're away in a head office hundreds of miles away and already have your money. And in addition, low prices combined with Ski Set getting a cut means the individual shop / seller (often not a chain) can get a very poor deal out of it (although they do also get more customers, possibly).

Having said all that, I do still use them - I've personally never had a problem, and getting two sets of decent (I think) skis and boots for under £100 is undoubtedly good value. Yes, I could probably contact the shop directly but it's a little more hassle and I don't speak French / German etc.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

but it's a little more hassle and I don't speak French / German etc

Probably less so than you may think. Most of the guys in the shops I've experienced spoke pretty good English and e-mails don't seem to be a problem for Diy-ing accommodation and lift passes etc... so contacting the shop could be a good way to go. Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Fair enough! Will try this next year!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Use them every year and never had a problem with them

Appreciate it is Admin's site but as a paying customer to site I don't agree with the auto link to that page - fine for Admin to post his experience, but the link is too much IMHO
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have found them to be very good in several locations. The shop in Val Claret went well out of their way to help us. The only issue I have ever had is when we had a problem with a ski pole in another town, the loose relationship to SkiSet means that another SkiSet shop will not help / replace.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The problem with skiset is not that they don't pay us commission - they did, and would still, if I chose to accept it from them. In fact, their rate is better than any of the operators we do receive commission from - which is why you seem them promoted so vigorously on certain other ski sites.

Nor is my issue due to a specific event using their service - yes, we had a laughably inept service from their Serre Chevalier 'outlet' but at the time, I had a personal contact at their head office who made sure everyone was 'seen right'. This contact was also willing to personally clear up any issues that cropped up for snowHeads generally. Under that circumstance I was happy to work with them however, once we started delivering significant business to them, his boss pulled rank and asserted rather different operating conditions that I considered unethical.
It was bad enough, that I referred the issue to his boss, the CEO - his response was to forward my message to the previous guy to deal with rolling eyes

So, my issue with Skiset is to do with the ethics of the way they do business generally: I have good reason not to trust them as a company and suggest that you shouldn't either. I have chosen to forgo the commission for referred business because I am not comfortable recommending them.

Yes, there are networks with whom we have a good working relationship and who pay snowHeads commission for referred business eg. Sport2000, Alpinresorts, SnowBrainer. There are other networks who do not pay us a commission eg. Intersport, Skimium
I really don't mind which you use: thanks very much for the support if your ski hire earns us something; no worries if it doesn't.
Similarly, I have no issue with booking at a Skiset shop directly - the vast majority are decent, hard-working ski shops.

But simply, if you chose to book through the central Skiset system, you are IMV supporting a business that is bad for the ski industry as a whole and further, if something goes wrong, there's every likelihood that you're stuffed unless you've a watertight case and a lot of time on your hands. You have been warned!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Boris wrote:
Use them every year and never had a problem with them

Appreciate it is Admin's site but as a paying customer to site I don't agree with the auto link to that page - fine for Admin to post his experience, but the link is too much IMHO
And as a 'paying customer' you can switch off the autolinks if you like.
User Facilities (top left) => Personal Profile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
In my experience the main problem for the holiday skier is the shop. I have had really crap skis when booking online with skiset. But I have found that contacting the hire shop direct by email can provide the same discount for the real mccoy.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
All of the "discounts" for the hire chains can't match the price I can get by going direct to the shop next door to the hotel I'm staying in at Christmas. No idea if the hire skis are any good, but both Mrs M and I have bought skis from them in the past. They do sell decent stuff at good prices, and I think I can get a further discount just by mentioning I'm staying next door. Nice people too.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy