Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

L2A - Les Deux Alpes

Poster: A snowHead
Arriving tomorrow, and thankful for the new snow today - seems to be a bit more forecast too?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
how much snow are we talking? Crystal saying over a metre fell last night up the mountain...! snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I doubt a metre came down last night. Tour ops will exaggerate....a good gauge is to look at rooftops on webcams. Looks about 10 or 20 cm at resort level. Did you see the webcams yesterday???? There is no base to ski on into the town..... Maybe there is????...Ski tech's having a good year this year I suspect.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@abbosphere, Crystal are talking unmitigated rubbish.

@bluenatic, Can't imagine it's enough to make the Diable runs to town or the Vallee Blanche skiable, as there was no base at all yesterday and it rained for the best part of the day before it turned to snow overnight.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bluenatic wrote:
http://www.peteblandsports.co.uk/trolleyed/2/70/94/ I race in Inov 8 Mudclaw's, see the link, they have quite an aggressive tread on them...great for Lake District Fell Running and Racing. They've done a good job for me on this race for the past 2 years. The second half of this race is much harder than the 1st and isn't quite on compact snow, you drop down the Mont De Lans side of the town to the forest, then its a tough climb up through the trees, which last year was calf level untouched snow,..this is all done at night time in the dark...heavy going on the legs.

Are you doing the race next week?..... entries are still available for the short and long course. It looks like they have added a medium length race this year to.

Route details and course profile here http://www.les2alpes.com/fr/les-2-alpes-night-snow-trail-parcours-et-profils.html

Entry details here http://www.les2alpes.com/fr/les-2-alpes-night-snow-trail.html Personally I don't think the short race is worth doing and wrecking your quads for skiing.....the long race is.

I'd love to do it, but I'm not going to Les Deux Alpes at all, but to Flaine, and the following week. Otherwise, yeah! I've been meaning to buy a pair of the Mudclaws for muddy trail races in the UK, good to see they cope with snow as well. Just off out to try out my DIY shoes (albeit not on snow)!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nice dump last night. About 20cm in resort and perhaps 40 or so further up. Visibility wasnt great though but I had a good 3 or 4 hours playing. 1st time my fatter skis have been out.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just back from L2A, picked a terrible week for it! 2 days closed, two more days of horrible weather, and bad snow overall. Rained all day yesterday, well over 20cm of snow last night at resort, and according to the Panobar facebook page 125cm up high!!!

https://www.facebook.com/panobarles2alpes/photos/a.382279685239491.1073741834.372474359553357/604174006383390/?type=1&theater
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sorry mate....commercial interests aside (crystal & pano bar). 1 meter??? I still doubt.

If Facebook says it .... It must be true????
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I specifically said ''according to Panobar'', didn't say it was gospel! It did rain fairly heavily at resort level from early morning until it turned to snow around 6/7pm, so there should have been fairly significant accumulations.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hey up @Claude B, @Lizzard, well I'm now safe and sound back in blighty.

But a quick question before I consider next year.

How often do they close the mountain through wind?

Spoke to people in the airport and they were OK.

On a plus side, nielsens gave us a piece of paper saying the mountain was closed so we might be able to claim off the insurance......... I would have preferred to have ski though.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
They were giving refunds at the lift pass office yesterday, 50% of the value of the 2 days missed, or 2 days skiing at L2A another time, if you had your receipt.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@kiteman69, I've not known that many days in about 35 weeks here. In a normal snow year Pied Moutet would be open and being lower not as badly effected by wind.

Yesterday was superb, all the new snow and sunshine too. It was very cold though about -11C without wind chill. Pretty busy too with the start of a new week and a lot of locals coming up from Grenoble.

A bit more snow overnight but pretty poor light for most of the day. I managed a few hours though, its snowing in resort now with more forecast tonight.

View from my balcony Saturday morning https://flic.kr/p/qQq85f
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Does anyone know how much actually fell at the top? Also, what condition is La Grave currently in?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@boardiac, 50cm or so on Friday night, another 10 perhaps Sunday night and its been snowing all day today. Haven't been to LG, the liaison wasn't open last week don't know if it is now.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

How long is a piece of string? Lift closures depend on both the strength and (as important) direction of the wind in question. It's the weather, innit.

@omicron, those refunds won't apply to passes bought through TOs and sold at a lower rate than the public price - TO customers need to go through their insurance. Anyone who bought a pass at the ticket office should go and claim their refunds though.

Bad news today - Alpe du Grand Serre is no longer part of the Galaxie system - boo and thrice boo. Sad But still worth paying 20€ for a day pass.
snow report
boardiac wrote:
Also, what condition is La Grave currently in?

Not 100% but I think it is only skiable down to the Mid point. I don't think the bottom half is in good nick at the moment.
latest report
thanks, bluenatic and Claude B
snow report
They will not open the link up for quite a while yet as they need a lot more snow to fill the holes in on the glacier.

I was in LG a couple of weeks ago and was pretty obvious.

Even with well over a meter that they had a couple of days ago they need more before they open the link up as you do get a massive Muppet factor of people coming over not realising the potential issues of ducking under the rope to score some fresh tracks, and then following tracks that could lead them into massive dodo.

I'm not too sure if the glacier TBar is even working yet though most skiing from the La Grave side tend to know the score better and what's involved in skiing on the glacier.
latest report
Quote:

I'm not too sure if the glacier TBar is even working yet

It isn't.
ski holidays
Decent morning and early afternoon with a bit of sunshine until light snow and poor vis won though about 2.30. Diable Black back to resort is now open but it's not very pleasant, one run was enough. Pretty bare in places and snow was heavy going. Played around off piste this morning back down to resort and that was much more pleasant although well tracked
ski holidays
Gorgeous sunny day but very cold up high, kept the snow nice though. Pied Moutet opened today I believe but I missed it Embarassed Went up to 3200m and there wasn't a sign saying liaison was closed and t bar to 3600 was open, maybe you can get across.
snow report
@Claude B, liaison is shut, see here: http://www.skiplan.com/bulletin/bulletin.php?station=deux-alpes&region=alpes&pays=france&lang=fr
snow report
@Lizzard, Thanks. Wouldn't have tried until later anyway. Not up today nursing a sore leg and leaving in the morning. Bright again but a fair bit of mist bubbling up from Venosc. Cold down here so will be very up there. PIC from yesterday
https://flic.kr/p/qTUAMV
snow report
@Claude B, @Lizzard

I'm flying over to do a race (Trail/Fell running depending how you look at it) in Deux Alpes tomorrow night.....I'm just wondering if i can get some local knowledge re:conditions under foot off you guys. Its the 2nd half of the 20K race/route - map is here http://www.les2alpes.com/fr/les-2-alpes-night-snow-trail-parcours-et-profils.html and its at the bottom of the page. I can guage what conditions are like on the first half by web cam, its the second half, after you pass the mont de lans chair, drop down parallel to the Bons chair, up through the Molliere forrest and accross the Vallee Blanche side. Last year and the year before this bit was quite deep in snow, i'm hoping this year it will be different, hoping to get a better time. ....need to improve on 14th overall....i missed out on 2nd Veteran 40 by just under 2 mins.....Any info on conditions would be gratefully received.....Cheers
latest report
We are en route! How's the weather looking today?
snow report
As I sit in the Jandri express the weather is starting to become overcast as some snow on the way. Pistes are ok. T-bar on glacier was closed this morning.
snow conditions
@bluenatic, Snow isn't deep on that section at the moment, but since we're currently forecast 37cm on Thursday this could well change.
snow conditions
@bluenatic, Shocked good luck!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snowing when I left tonight, hopefully a prelude before grander things!
snow report
Fingers crossed for this week as we arrive on the 31st.
snow conditions
Great first day skiing yday with blue skies and relatively fresh dusting of snow. Much worse today VERY windy at the summit. Skied signal in probably the most challenging wind and snow conditions I've ever skied - surprised it was open. Valentin was much better though as fewer skiers out there and after the bare bits right at the top, was an enjoyable ski back to the resort. Skiing now in resort and hoping for a calmer day to ski the fresh snow tomorrow. Loving L2A as a resort though, a lot of scope and have had fun skiing morning with the better skiers on tougher slopes and then joining up for a cruise with the full group down the blues in the PM. Happy man! snowHead
ski holidays
After two bluebird days, must be at least a metre of snow today on the mountain today - and still going with more forecast tomorrow... Pretty dreamy to glide through fresh powder on some fatter skies but by mid afternoon visibility made it challenging and if it wasn't my first week in a year I'd probably have hidden inside!
Anyone coming to the resort on Saturday is in for an absolute TREAT!
ski holidays
Any more recent updates? Going out there in a few short weeks. Laughing
ski holidays
Wall to wall sunshine forecast for the forseeable, which is a good thing for the February family punter clientele.
snow report
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

@omicron, those refunds won't apply to passes bought through TOs and sold at a lower rate than the public price - TO customers need to go through their insurance. Anyone who bought a pass at the ticket office should go and claim their refunds though.

Just an update which cheered me up at least Blush

My insurance paid out for the 2 lost days When the piste was closed due to high winds

A total of £120.

I would have preferred to gave skied though. snowHead
latest report
@kiteman69, £120 for two days? The full tariff day pass is only 46€, result.
latest report
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh snowHead Laughing snowHead
latest report
snow conditions update please... snowHead
ski holidays
I'm not back for a couple of weeks but reports from friends are good, there's been a lot of snow since I left just over 3 weeks ago Sad Fair dump last weekend I believe.
ski holidays
Lots more snow last weekend, splendid on piste conditions, though I am not alongside this policy of bashing absolutely everything as flat as a pancake all of the time. Link to La Grave now open.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy