Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

L2A - Les Deux Alpes

Poster: A snowHead
@kiteman69, you have to hope all the beginners up there have toes.😄

There are two T-bars and the funicular to the top of the glacier runs.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks @Lizzard for the link - very helpful
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just arrived, not very cold atm will test the runs out tomorrow.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Had a ski today. Rain in resort/snow up top when we finished at 4pm.

Runs are skiable but have to be careful with stones on piste. Hopefully the snow tonight will help but loads more needed.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Went up about 10 with fairly low expectations as there was a lot of cloud hanging around. As I got up a bit higher though I could see sun further up. Not easy to get up though due to various lift closures (wind/mechanical). Finally got up to 3200m but didn't hang around too long as the wind was biting. Nice skiing above Crete apart from one or two patches. There had been a little snow overnight which freshened things a little. Fairly quiet apart from pinch points caused largely by lift closures. I came down by lift soon after 2 (hurty knee) as none of the home runs were open, I suspect Valentine opened later though. A photo from Toura

https://flic.kr/p/pJu2jV had to put a link android won't let me embed
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
This is one of the green resort runs for those interested. Not great but skiable. Big dump forecast Friday I believe.
https://flic.kr/p/qoQwjV
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Great photos @Claude B, just wish there was more snow on the 2nd one.

I don't think I'll show the mrs that one!!!!

Hope you have a good week.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lovely blue ski day today, no further snow. No runs back to resort open at all have to download. Spoke to a pisteur and Valentine is just too dangerous ATM. Snow still due for weekend. Link to a PIC up on the glacier.
https://flic.kr/p/qDPnwL
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@kiteman69, other greens further up on Crete
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@howiett & @lizzard
Thanks for the replies on page three had a great week ,cold but good snow with no problems getting to or from resort.!
Hopefully it will snow some more in the next few weeks
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cheers @Claude B, another nice photo snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Similar day to yesterday, wall to wall sunshine. Made it up to 3400m for the first time this week (link to photo below). Promised dump seems to be getting less daily Crying or Very sad More snow would be very welcome.
https://flic.kr/p/qGHPt4
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Only skied a couple of hours, more of the same really. Snow really badly needed, some pistes are really suffering. Just a sprinkle forecast now.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This was so the wrong seaosn to skive off and be a ski bum. Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Lizzard, Crying or Very sad Plenty of time, how's the hand? Well have to catch up for a slide/beer.

Similar day but cannons running last night so Valentine was open today so I at least skied back to resort. Did make Fee today but very stony, shame as i love the resto there. If you're not the type who can't ski a run twice there's still plenty to ski. Link to photo back up Valentine from 2 thirds way down.
https://flic.kr/p/qJevuJ
snow conditions
Short day today, flattish light but worse was how stony many of the pistes are getting now. Came back down Valentine again, dead quiet at 1.30. Lots of cloud up there now and there was a slight flurry of snow in resort. Desperately needed, lots forecast for next week. Poor photo from the glacier where they'd set up a long GS couses for some handy youngsters to race.

ski holidays
Not skiing today, had a little trip down to Venosc for lunch. Another blue sky day.
ski holidays
@Claude B, you didn't miss anything. Boiler plate everywhere below 2600 and not fabulous anywhere else either. Sun-exposed bits already going soft and slushy at noon, so more ice everywhere tomorrow. Skiing without poles (can only hold one comfortably) turned out to be not much better than boarding from the nervousness about landing on a hand point of view, though it was worth a try. Boo!
ski holidays
Bit of snow overnight freshened things up and it was very nice once the sun broke through late morning. Came back down Valentine and it was horrible carnage Shocked I won't bother if its like that tomorrow. Took this photo, known as a snow angel I think (can't embed).
https://flic.kr/p/qLgWBF
snow report
long time lurker first time poster. Hello all!

I've been following this thread intently as we are off to L2A on 24th - so thanks for all the posts in particular @Lizzard and @Claude B...

Have either of you been on the green down to Petite Aiguille and any comments on if its even skiable? We booked an (almost) ski in ski out chalet on that side of town with the hope of avoiding queues on the main lifts and getting up the mountain via Village and Telepherique... based on the above, at present its sounding like we'll have to get the bus across town each morning!

All that said - Bergfex etc suggesting there will be a good dump this weekend and temperatures dropping... COME ON SNOW GODS!
snow report
@Claude B, I remember trying to ski Valentine back in the day when I was an utter novice. Slid down the majority of it.

Would like to go back one day and get my revenge.
ski holidays
@abbosphere, Haven't been there this trip. It is low but I think it had snow making. A reasonable amount forecast for later this week.
latest report
@abbosphere, The only runs open below Cretes at the moment are a few on the Bas des Pistes plus the Valentin (intermittently). Demoiselles and the Petit Aiguille are closed, and frankly likely to remain that way - there's no base there and the snow we're forecast for the end of this week isn't enough to create one. But the Petit Plan area is well served by the navettes, so your best option could be to get the bus into the middle of town then take the Jandri straight to 2600m.
snow conditions
@Claude B, hopefully that forecast is the first of a few over the next 10-12days...!

@Lizzard, thanks for the advice - most likely going to be our route out. Coming home I guess we'll need to bus it too even if Valentin is open as nothing else to take us "home" ?(bar a walk on tired legs... For the novices of course...rolling eyes)

Last question for you both - have you had a chance to head out to La Grave? I was reading that conditions haven't been great and are pretty dangerous for all but the most talented free skiers? Has been on my bucket list for a while and was aiming for at least a day's guided skiing out there...
snow report
I spoke to a pisteur last night and they are expecting around 20cms this weekend. More needed but anything is welcome.
latest report
@abbosphere, you shuld NOT take a novice down the Valentin. I would do ride down in the lift followed by vin chaud in resort and bus home. Let's be civilised here.

Quote:

have you had a chance to head out to La Grave?

Having a giraffe mate - nothing like enough neige. The likn usually opens at the end of Jan, but not looking promising at the moment.
latest report
@Lizzard, ha dont worry - we have a couple of relatively new skiers in the group - but shant be taking them anywhere near - having read a lot on this forum about the dangers this causes, wouldn't want to ruin everyone elses fun (or theirs!)

re La Grave, thats a huge shame but not unexpected after reading similar. Will have to do a dedicated trip later in the year / next season... not all bad!

Thanks for all the advice. Any routes you'd highly recommend that ARE a bit fun at the moment?
ski holidays
@abbosphere, I would also rather unload than do down the Desmoisselles (or whatever the green run is called which snakes its way back to resort).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Any routes you'd highly recommend that ARE a bit fun at the moment?

Errr ................ Crying or Very sad

Runs on the glacier and at Signal are probably the best at the moment. The various descents from 3200 to midstation are OK, as is Toura. Below 2600 was icy and nasty on Saturday, and the minimal snow we had Sunday morning didn't improve it much. Fee is open, but it wasn't good when I went down it last week (rocks and blue ice), and people who have done it since then tell me it has got worse. Off piste is predictably non-existent unless you really know where to go, and even then I'm told it's 'pas evident' (ie rubbish).

Having now thoroughly ruined your holiday, I should say that we're forecast a reasonable amount of fresh snow towards the end of this week, and it looks like enough to give a significant improvement in conditions on piste even if it doesn't do anything for the off piste or the areas still closed. You've probably hit on a good week to come, even if the rest of the season continues a bit rubbish. I should also say that I'm currently boarding with six stitches in my left hand, which does nothing for my confidence or optimistic outlook, so this may be influencing my opinion. Laughing
latest report
Went down Thuit blue yesterday with a local, it scared the hell out of her, icy and narrow as hell Shocked Valentine looked better yesterday than the day before when it was frankly dangerous but I downloaded. No lifts open atm due to high winds. Resort is full of people aimlessly wandering around or drinking Smile
latest report
Pretty much everything closed today, high wind from the south. They appear to be hoping to open the Cretes and Diable chairs, but nothing else above the Bas des Pistes.
ski holidays
@Lizzard, Lutins is full of lifties and pisteurs, looks pretty terminal. That my lunch appointment at Fee binned!
latest report
@dobby, cheers for the advice - have heard this from a few sources and particularly for the newbies in the group. A couple of the advanced skiers and I will try give it a shot when we can! Think we're too old for Pano Bar anyway now...

@Lizzard, ha dont worry - i'm getting my first week of skiing in almost a year, the only thing that could ruin it would be closed lifts the entire week... Hoping you're right - everyone getting quite optimistic now and WePowder noting the area specifically as likely to get good snow [http://wepowder.com/weblog/5675/PA-%236-in-two-or-three-phases] . Sorry to hear about your hand though - i suspect it may be providing SOME bias..!

End of the day - i only get to ski a week or two a year so will make the most of whatever L2A has to offer and hopefully be back when work allows impromptu last minute powder-chasing. Plan for 2016 - get relocated to Zurich office!
snow report
Been quite nice the last couple of days after a bit of snow a couple of nights ago. Coupled with a reasonable amount of sun too. Got very windy yesterday afternoon though and today everything is closed again ATM Sad Pretty big dump forecast for tonight and temperatures plummeting.
snow conditions
Anyone doing this in Deux Alpes next Saturday. http://www.les2alpes.com/en/les-2-alpes-night-snow-trail.html Looking at the resort webcam at village level today. I think it is going to be more of a true fell/trail race rather than a snow trail race. Looking forward to another week in Deux Alpes next week...Great Place. Let's hope the forecast is right!!!!
latest report
I'm in L2A just now, and it's been pretty rubbish most of the week. Snow cover is patchy, lifts closed 2 out of 6 days, and v windy on days when lifts were open. Been raining all day today Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
What footwear do you wear for something like that, where you're likely to be running downhill at speed on compacted snow and ice? I was just about to buy some crampons for my running shoes for my trip out in a week or so's time (I'm a keen trail runner and love running in the mountains, which Norfolk to some degree lacks), but have decided to experiment with a DIY solution of 10 or so short hex head sheet metal screws screwed into the soles of each shoe! (I have a sacrificial pair for this purpose).
latest report
http://www.peteblandsports.co.uk/trolleyed/2/70/94/ I race in Inov 8 Mudclaw's, see the link, they have quite an aggressive tread on them...great for Lake District Fell Running and Racing. They've done a good job for me on this race for the past 2 years. The second half of this race is much harder than the 1st and isn't quite on compact snow, you drop down the Mont De Lans side of the town to the forest, then its a tough climb up through the trees, which last year was calf level untouched snow,..this is all done at night time in the dark...heavy going on the legs.

Are you doing the race next week?..... entries are still available for the short and long course. It looks like they have added a medium length race this year to.

Route details and course profile here http://www.les2alpes.com/fr/les-2-alpes-night-snow-trail-parcours-et-profils.html

Entry details here http://www.les2alpes.com/fr/les-2-alpes-night-snow-trail.html Personally I don't think the short race is worth doing and wrecking your quads for skiing.....the long race is.
ski holidays
It's snowing. Very Happy
snow report
@Lizzard, excellent. Looking v white on the webcams.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy