Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

are new skis ready to use

Poster: A snowHead
Hopefully not a daft question as i assume that they are ready to use straight from the shop. however as i now own a nice shinny new pair of ski's will they benefit from having a hand wax and edge tune? will a good hand wax before they are used be beneficial for the longer term of the ski?

I can only liken this to new tennis rackets and i always stripped out the factory string and put the right string in and at the correct tension.
thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No, they need to be lovingly bonded with first.

I find a nights' spooning usually does the trick.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wax - depends where you get them from. I think spyderjon waxes and hotboxes them, but a good friend found that his brand-new Scott Missions (a few years ago) slowed down to a halt in wet spring snow while I was still flying around.

Edge tune - I would tend to assume that most new skis would have a decent edge angle. To date this theory has been disproved by two pairs of Praxis which were unskiable before extensive detuning and two full services.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@clarky999, already done that. Smile
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@MogulMonkey,

Depends on the ski and where you bought them from.

Questions to ask yourself.
Does the ski have the correct edge and base angles for you ?
Have the skis got the correct wax for the snow conditions you will be skiing.

Race skis generally are not ready to ski unless the shop has pre tuned them to the specifications you gave them
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Wot Clarky999 said.
With new skis I have always just used them*. You don't need to do anything at all. I ski quite a lot and usually only sharpen the edges once a season, depending on what piste conditions have been like ( you don't need edges in powder ) & hot wax them maybe once every ten days or so. That's it.

*I still have a pair of Völkl P30 that are in useable condition from around 1997!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@MogulMonkey,
Quote:

however as i now own a nice shinny new pair of ski's will they benefit from having a hand wax and edge tune?

Assuming you have not bought Factory Race skis, just normal skis from Slush and Rubble or whoever. In that case they will run better if you wax them -- but's it's not obligatory. Edges will have been done by the factory so should not need looking at.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Put bindings on them
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I take Zardoz Notwax with me as back up!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Personally I would edge tune them while they are new so that when you tune the edges in the future you will know your edge angle guide matches your ski. I did this with some atomic slalom skis last night - the factory edge was shocking on one of the edges. Now I will be able to keep a nice edge witha diamond stone.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As already mentioned race skis are supplied untuned. That's because racers tend to have specific requirements on the base/edge angles they want. Cutting that in by hand is a process more loving than taking the said skis to bed.

Assuming that they have been tuned you can work out the angle by running a marker pen along the edge and then lightly running a very fine diamond file or whet stone at different edge angles. At the matching angle the file will take off all the ink. This is most likely to be 88 degrees for recreational skis but it could be a bit different.

M
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mogul Monkey will learn over time that while skis today are a far cry in their finished form from the factory to that of years before............., thusly not varying in finished quality., e.g. railed base, bad edges, sidewalls, etc., they still need to be critically checked/inspected at time of selection from the rack for base trueness, edges and general overall continuity - matching. If all that conforms go forward with the purchase. No factory is within a position of rendering any set of skis slope ready no matter what they claim. Any set of skis, assuming all is right in terms of conformation should be at a minimum very lightly gone over on the base by hand - in other words lightly tuned, structured and then properly waxed.
I also recommend a light sealant or wax (automotive) on the entire top surface, bindings too.................. This may seem silly but it honestly aids in snow buildup, not to mention that 'new car shine'. The girls love it........................
That said, again maintain the skis throughout the season, all other equipment as well which is so often overlooked. At the end of season fully tune the skis, wax but do not take off from base, leaving on over the entirety of the summer, fall - ready to be finished come winter, turn out the bindings to zero and store in open air (preferably independent, on their side), never ever in any case.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 9-12-14 17:58; edited 3 times in total
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

turn out the bindings to zero

Why?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Why? Simple. It takes the load off the springs which, under extended load - load over a long extended period of time "weaken" and do not apprioriate true DIN setting.
You record the setting and return precisely to said setting at beginning of season. Test for function and release in all direction.

I also recommend cleaning and inspecting the bindings and if need be lubricating pivot points with a high quality grease such as a "plex" variety, certain other areas of the binding with a polymer lubricant such as Dumonde Tech chain lube. Brilliant stuff.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bindings have springs in them. If a spring is stored under tension there is a theoretical possibilty of the metal in the spring creeping and changing shape, thus changing the performance of the binding and rendering the DIN scsle innacurate.

I have never worried much about this point.

a) my bindings are all set up ready to use during the season (nov-may). So windng them all down and back up would only increase the time spent loaded by a factor of 2. In engineering terms that's not a big factor unless you have a structure operating very close to the margin.
b) there doesn't seem mch empirical evidence that binding springs deteriorate at all fast even when stored without turing down to zero. The springs sre sufficiently over-engineered that any creep which takes place is pretty insignificant.
c) a slight deterioration of spring strength means a slightly reduced release force. Unless you are in no-fall zones a very slight increase in the risk of a pre-release is not a big deal.

It's not wrong to do it. But it's not likely to be a game changer. And it's a hassle. I have over 25 pairs of skis in the family to service so I don't bother. Takes long enough to do the storage waxing without making the job more complicated.
snow report
@equinoxranch,
snow report
@equinoxranch,
Quote:

Why? Simple. It takes the load off the springs which, under extended load - load over a long extended period of time "weaken" and do not apprioriate true DIN setting.

If this were in fact true then steel bridges would start to sag, reinforced concrete would start to crack as the tension steel creeps and steel framed buildings deform. And these structures are much closer to the yield strength of steel than the springs in your bindings.
ski holidays
It's always recommended to turn a torque wrench to zero when not in use for the exact same reason......................
snow report
Doesn't mean it's valid or invalid though. There's plenty of folk advice that's baseless or only applicable in certain circumstances. I'm pretty sure the slacking off of bindings has been comprehensively debunked as is the coating the bases in wax to 'store' them. Edges on the other hand like a bit of wax to keep rust down but even still that rubs off on the first run. Knock yourself out though as plenty of people enjoy the various little rituals.
ski holidays
@johnE, sounds like a civil engineers wise words! Me too wink

@HoneyBunny, watch that Zardoz stuff, it gets on your gloves then goggle lenses and ruined a brand new pair of Oakleys for me! rolling eyes
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy