Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stick-on Inclinometer

Poster: A snowHead
Sticks to your ski pole and measures the slope angle.

Another great, simple idea that's come to light through Kickstarter.

http://poleclinometer.com/
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1368073986/poleclinometertm-the-ski-pole-inclinometer-sticker

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 8-12-14 10:56; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I can see how the one across the slope works, though I think you'd need to be some distance away to measure the angle across a significant portion of a mountainside. However, how does the one down the slope work? Can't figure that one out.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@pam w, you look past the pole directly down the slope. The line with the least curvature indicates the gradient. In the example above the slope is between 30° and 35°.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm a bit dubious about how accurate this thing is - lots of potential for user error - but probably good for helping people get a feel for what a 35* slope looks like
Will take bar room claims of "it was at least 50* based on my poleclinometer" with a pinch of salt anyway Little Angel
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@altis, That is a good idea, but I'm not sure why anybody would want to know the gradient. How can it help?
(I just keep three gradients in my mind: no worries; Ooo steep; Fook that!! I'm taking the blue down)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I 'get it' but I think you'll have all kinds of issues with getting anything like an accurate measurement as there is too much variation in how a person could inadvertently position the pole.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ALQ, avalanches are much more likely between about 30* and 48*
it's quite hard to judge angles by eye, although you can improve with practice
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
1. Why would you want it?
2. Do I presume it comes with two stick-on spirit levels without which it would be utterly useless?
3. In Madonna di Camiglio and other places too I presume, they list the maximum and average gradient of any slope on the first piste marker which is a better idea.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Actually, it's quite easy to get your pole vertical. Wink

a) Get someone else to sight it against the landscape - easily better than 5°.
b) Pinch-grip the top of the handle above the shaft so that it swings easily.

I like that fact that it's always available and you don't need to go ferreting for something in your sack.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@foxtrotzulu, it;s useful as one tool in working out for an off piste slope risk analysis, as Arno says above "avalanches are much more likely between about 30* and 48* "
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's not about pistes though, it's about off-piste, isn't it?

Still don't get the "looking down the slope" - surely it will depend on the shape of the slope - concave or convex - not to mention how far you are standing from the "edge"?

My compass has a measure of slope angle. I've been practising using it, hiking in summer, to help me learn to judge slopes in the distance. BUT not on the slope I'm standing on.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I like the idea but it I think it definitely falls into the category of 'do you really need one?'

I'd imagine it could do nicely as an impulse purchase but then it would have to be easier to apply and maybe use a removable adhesive so you could remove it from the hired ski poles rather than it being all complicated and needing heat shrink tubing and the like.

I'd say he's over complicated it to try and add some value. Just a simple waterproof sticker with a removable adhesive would be fine but then it's not going to sell for very much.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@pam w, yeah but knowing the average slope angle can be a reasonable useful thing to know it lets you make judgments about the steepness of roll-overs and the like. I use the free Avi Lab app on my iPhone which does much the same thing but lets you sight with guides through the camera.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not sure I need one, but what a great simple idea.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Handy for checking my angle of lean on the way out of the bar.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:

Still don't get the "looking down the slope" - surely it will depend on the shape of the slope - concave or convex - not to mention how far you are standing from the "edge"?

The shape of the slope is not relevant.

Take a candle, and a sharp knife and chop a 45 degree angle on the end of the candle. If you now look at the candle in the vertical orientation, it will appear as part of a sine wave, until you look directly down the cut. At that point, it will look flat cut again. Assuming you are holding the candle vertically, you would be able to 'sight' down the cut and check if the slope below you is at 45 degrees . This device then repeats that process for a bunch of other angles and allows you to do the process in reverse. i.e. measuring the angle of the slope against your pole.

See the first diagram on this paper:

http://www.mamikon.com/USArticles/RollingConesCylinders.pdf
snow conditions
@pam w, imagine that the pole was cut off along the top edge of the red band. This would give you a reference 30° that you could eyeball against the slope - a bit like having a 30/60 set square with a spirit level on the bottom edge.

Because the pole is round, you can just use the line marked round the edge and you don't need to see the 'cut' surface. Presumably, there'll be different stickers for different pole diameters.
ski holidays
I get how it works in theory (as, I suspect, does pam w) but the looking down the slope function seems particularly prone to inaccuracy due to standing in not quite the right place, judging where the bottom of the slope is and holding the pole in exactly the right place and angle
snow conditions
the instructions on the website say that you adjust the height of the pole (ie lift it up and down) till the angle of your sight down is the same as the slope (ie you are looking straight down the slope). I can see that, doing that, you are judging the overall angle from where you are standing to wherever you decide the "bottom" is. so if the slope is a nice straight line, as in the illustrations, or you are only interested in the average incline (as opposed, for example, to a hill which goes down a bit, then has a very steep bit and then a flattening out in the middle, before dropping again) then it might be useful.
latest report
foxtrotzulu wrote:

2. Do I presume it comes with two stick-on spirit levels without which it would be utterly useless?

What for? You just hold the pole up in the air, the gravity makes sure it's dead plumb Toofy Grin
latest report
Also you'd have to stick it on exactly level on the pole.

You're pretty much guaranteed some inaccuracy I think, but given how bad most people are at judging slope angle it should help get a better estimate, at least.
latest report
What if there's not a flat level bit fret at the top of the slope?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy