Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recomended First Aid Course

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I recently did a BASP 2 day emergency outdoor first aid course. I've doe regular first aid training for about the last 25 years and to be honest have always found them necessary but boring; something you had to do rather than enjoyed.
The BASP (British Association of Ski Patrollers) course is very different. There was a great balance of theory and practical. We used the Castleford indoor snow slope and its surroundings as the base for many well thought out scenarios. The tutor was excellent and pitched the content to engage all learning styles.
It was a very full 2 days but for the first time the time flew by. I'd strongly recommend anyone to do a first aid course, not just those of us who have to for instructing purposes and I'd direct those interested to one of the BASP courses.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Even my daughter who was only 16 when she did it wasn't as bored as she expected Shocked Very reasonably priced too compared to others.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Ade57, +1
I also did the BASP First Aid course and would recommend it strongly. Good value as well
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
A little more expensive than some others but was one of the better first aid courses I've been on. Certainly worth it if using it along side a BASI course, although not sure I'd repeatedly use just to validate a certificate.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
+2

I also recently did a BASP first aid course and had the same excellent experience as you described above.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@manicpb, I did my course at Hemel about two years ago. I can't remember if I got a discount but I think I did, probably from being a member of SCGB. I can't remember what the cost was but it was cheap. Maybe £40 or so. Possibly £50. But for me to have travelled to Hemel from the Scottish Borders and stayed overnight in a Travelodge, it must have been cheap. I certainly remember it as being very good value
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Paid a fair bit more than that, about £100 I think but at the time I couldnt find any others near that price. St John's, etc are significantly more.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
+1 for BASP for me. Did the recertification last week in Keswick and got more out of it the 2nd time as you take more in than the first time as you just want to pass.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I did this course a couple of years ago and would definitely recommend it.

My course was in mid December and the temperature was below freezing. As part of one of the role play situations, I had to pretend to be suffering from hypothermia. After 15 minutes of lying down on the grass in a shorts and t-shirt, it was borderline whether I was acting or not.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I did the BASP course in Hemel this November. Far better than the ones I'd done previously. Was interesting to be out on the snow doing the practical. My only criticism is it cost me a fortune in Coffee as not one cup was provided over two days! Great course though.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I did it at Hemel years ago, it was really good. The instructor was a Scottish pisteur, had a great way of explaining practical techniques to diagnosing before attempting heart massage & artificial respiration.
"You know if their heart has stopped - they look poo-poo".
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Another fan of BASP here. Have used them for my first aid quals for many years. Latest was at Tamworth in September and we did most of the exercises in one of the small fridges at the back which was full of piles of spare snow. It made for some interesting challenges such as "this casualty is face down in the snow over this bump and I can't tell if they are breathing, but they've also got a broken leg so I don't want to move them...".
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy