Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Warning - Monarch crazy baggage allowances

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

I'm heading out on a monarch flight from Gatwick on Sun, I've booked the usual single ski carriage and fit 2 pairs skis in same bag.

I noticed that the allowance specifies 'skis one pair' . Anyone had problems with this ? (sort of answered already I guess)

I don't see why 'they' specify one set of skis only, when there's a 20Kg limit on ski carriage.

None of these baggage rules make any sense, ever! There's so much ambiguity in it all, and often depends on who you have checking you in
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They really do make it difficult due to all the conflicting info! I'm also in a bit of a state of uncertainty about the baggage allowance with Monarch. Flying to Innsbruck on a Skiworld package this Sunday.

Situation: I'm a snowboarder. Have a Burton hold-all that weighs about 23kg. All my gear and clothing is in it. I travel with that and a 5kg carry-on bag.

Monarch website says I have allowance of 5kg carry-on, 20kg included baggage allowance, and 20kg ski carriage allowance.

Skiworld phone operator told me that I have 5kg carry-on, 20kg included allowance, and only 13kg ski carriage allowance, but she also said that I can combine the two hold allowances and thus I'll be fine so long as my one check-in snowboard bag weighs less than 32kg.

The company I actually booked the trip through tells me something different though. They say 5kg carry-on, 20kg included, and 12kg ski carriage - but they're unsure about combining the allowances. They're checking now.

The Monarch website seems to complicate it further by stating:

Quote:
Skis and snowboards are subject to a maximum weight of 20kgs per item. Any item exceeding this allowance will be subject to standard excess baggage rates.

Amazing how something so simple, needs to be made so complicated, due to inconsistent information.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@braddo111, we flew with Monarch last week (TO trip) and my OH does the same as you, all clothes and snowboard in his burton snowboard bag. It weighed slightly over 20kg and no one said anything at Manchester or Innsbruck
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@braddo111, we flew with Monarch last week (TO trip) and my OH does the same as you, all clothes and snowboard in his burton snowboard bag. It weighed slightly over 20kg and no one said anything at Manchester or Innsbruck
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I flew with Monarch from Birmingham last week with a TO and they weighed everything including the hand luggage. I could tell she was thinking of charging me for the 2kgs I was over on my main bag (my boots were in there as well) even though my skis were well under but luckily I checked in with a friend whose bag was way under. So I got away with it but I wouldn't have done on my own. On the way back my bag was only 19.8kg even with the boots inside it so no problem. Good to know with my new ski holdall it's possible to be under 20kg if need be it's the soap shampoo and toiletries on the way out that obviously send it over.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi Pistequeen. Thanks for the reply. What's a TO trip? Was it a charter flight?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@braddo111, Sorry, TO = tour operator so yes I guess was a charter flight?

They didn't weigh hand luggage either
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Phone calls made:

Monarch operator - says their ski carriage allowance is 20kg, but since they charter the seats to skiworld, then its up to skiworld to make the rules about how the allowances work

Skiworld operator - says that many people take one bag of 20-25kg and its fine, but it "depends on the check-in staff". She was reluctant to tell me I could do it, because obviously if it didn't go well, then it would come back on her. She said that the official allowance is only 12kg and that its not combinable with the included allowance. She said that they're bound by Monarch's conditions. So essentially she said "these are the guidelines, you can probably break them, but I'm not going to say that on the phone in case it doesn't work out well"

Each company is, in effect, putting the blame on the other. I also have to say that each person from each company has been nothing short of perfectly professional and charming, and its clear that they're all just trying to do their jobs well.

The crazy upshot of the situation is this: I will be taking the exact same 23kg of gear on my trip. It will cost me the same amount. However instead of taking that 23kg of gear in one managable snowboard bag. I will be forced to spread it between that same snowboard bag, and another suitcase (which weighs roughly 3kg when empty).

So in effect, the baggage policy is forcing the airline to carry more weight, whilst at the same time causing me more hassle.

Madness.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@braddo111, another topic entirely but last week me and all my luggage probably weighed less than some of the other passengers on their own with just hand luggage!

Like you say it's all so silly and not easy to know what to do half the time. At the end of the day it depends on who you get at check in!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy