Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Valmeinier 2015

Poster: A snowHead
Couldn't see a thread for Valmeinier so thought I'd start one.

Going out on 7th March, never been so any info would be great.

Main web page is at http://hiver.valmeinier.com/uk/index-winter.aspx
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Its a good place....linked to Valloire, good skiing mostly above 2000m with lots of variety and some pretty accessible off piste if you like that sort of thing. Low key nightlife (only a couple of bars) but some nice restaurants and a great pizzeria called San Marco hidden away in the upper village.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes, a good place and I think the Valmeinier/Valloire link is far better now than when I went, some years ago.

Information on snow conditions now will be entirely irrelevant for 7 March, of course, but that should be an excellent week. After the French holidays and statistically a high chance of very good snow conditions.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@JimSearle thanks for that, sounds perfect. Not into nightlife, into nice food and varied skiing sounds excellent. We had lunch in Valloire in the summer but opted for Valmeinier to stay as it's much cheaper. Will def check out San Marco.

@pam w picked that week because it was after the french holidays and totally aware that the snow now is irrelevant.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
roguemazza wrote:
Couldn't see a thread for Valmeinier ...

True, but there is already one for the Maurienne Valley in general:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=115581
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Went in April quite a few years ago. Snow was good. The link to Valloire then was not easy for beginners with a difficult poma that was quite steep and turned a sharp corner. I would expect that to have been improved some time ago as it really was a good few years back that we were there.
Most of our group were beginners. They liked the area and the skiing. I seem to remember some nice eating places out on the pistes as well. Generally everyone who went was very positive about it and all said they would go back again in future
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We were there as a family 2 years ago for New Year, staying in Valloire, but we really enjoyed the Valmeinier side as it tended to be much less crowded, and lunch was cheaper there ! We ate a restaurant on the right just before the bridge as you come down the main slope, TS Les Jeux on your right; sorry, can`t remember its name
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks guys, I will now join the Maurienne valley thread
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Looks a cracking area - not really one that's been on my radar but seems to have lots of scope

@roguemazza, are you going with a UK tour operator?

@cstreat, @JohnHSmith, any good hotels recs? Smile snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We stayed in a Pierre et Vacances block at the top end of Valmeinier. I'm not a great fan of these but they serve a purpose, are perfectly ok and clean and you know pretty well in advance what you are getting. Our main aim was to take a group of about 15-20 people who had either never been on skis / boards or who had maybe done just a couple of weeks. We wanted a cheap introduction to real snow in the Alps and it was great for that. It also worked well for the more experienced who were sneaking an extra cheap week into the season.

Just looked at their website. We stayed in Valmeinier 1800
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The link to Valloire is now all chairlifts (one high speed one slow), they removed the poma several years ago, so its now a much friendlier experience. The snow is ok above 2000m a little thin and worn below
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@red 27, We stayed at Chalet Galibier, directly opposite lift Moulin Benjamin, above Valloire in Les Serroz/Les Clots; booked through Peak Retreats ( flexi Eurotunnel inc) No lift queues at all here, and probably the most helpful reception staff I have come across. It was out the door, over the road, and onto the lift.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@red 27, we went last year, great area, perfect size for a short week as you can cover everything without feeling like you've missed a lot out. We managed 55 miles of skiing and lifts on our last day there. Even though it was half term and should have been packed - it was far from busy. We travelled and stayed with Snowcoach, they do pickups from Geneva if you want to fly out of your own back. The accommodation is a bit tired, but perfectly comfortable for a few days (we're not very fussy!).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@red27 we have booked DIY, staying at pierre and vacances le thabor, flying to geneva and hiring a car.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've just got back from Valmeinier 1800, stayed in Les Hauts De Valmeinier which was great for the price paid. Skiing wise Vallorie seemed a lot better, the wind in Valmeinier blew most the powder off the slopes and left just mostly hard packed snow.

Was quite a decent snow fall on Friday night, we left at 3am Saturday to avoid traffic (was around 25cm untouched snow all the way down the valley). Glad I got Winter Tyres as can't fit chains, even at this time I went passed more cars stuck trying to get up than cars actually moving.
ski holidays
This is very special in Valloire this week

The Snow Sculpture Contest is 32 years old ! On this occasion, sculptures are presented in a space dedicated to pedestrians.
This magical and masterful contest is something not to be missed !

Follow the contest on this page and also thanks to the HD webcam live from the contest!

BEGINNING OF THE CONTEST: TUESDAY, JANUARY 20th at 9 am

FRIDAY, JANUARY 23rd - END OF THE CONTEST
Noon; end of the contest
10am - 3pm: Vote for the public and youth public prizes (ballot papers at your disposal at the Tourist Office and in front of the Cinema)
Noon - 4.30pm: Jury's passing through
5pm: Prize giving
6pm: Torchlite descent on the Setaz area followed by fireworks
snow conditions
Any ski school recs? Looking for private lessons rather than 5 mornings/afternoons.
snow report
Any reports on the conditions right now?
We are going to be there March 21-27 and are a little worried the conditions are going to be bad.
As of now, the snow depth is lowest in recent 5 years. I mean in past 5 years there has always been more snow in March.
ski holidays
Stayed in the Hotel Aigle many years ago. Quite a limited area, but plenty enough for a week with Valloire. Conditions were terrible when we were there!

Had a great time though.
snow report
I'm heading out there tomorrow so will report back. Webcams look good and all the pistes/lifts are open, warm sunny week forecast so I'm happy conditions will be good for next week. Fingers crossed its good for you in a couple of weeks.
snow report
I hope so!
snow conditions
It will be fine, we were there a couple of weeks ago and the conditions were great, there is a little less snow than a usual season.....but unless you are off piste or touring it wont make much difference.
The end of march is normally great in Valmeinier, last year it we had some of the best snow of the season in the last 2 weeks of march Smile
snow report
Out in Valmeinier this week and the weather is just awesome, 4 bluebird days so far and warm temps.
Snow is holding up well on the pistes, but obviously fairly slushy from mid afternoon onwards. South facing slopes off the piste starting to get a bit bare though.
Resort is very quiet, skiing is great, a lot of slow lifts ( and I'm a la plagne regular!) but worth it for great top to bottom of mountain skiing. Some runs down to Valloire currently shut but overall it is great.
Will post a full trip report when home on Saturday.
Snow forecast for next week alongside lower temps which will be required.
snow report
It was our first time skiing in France. Before that we used to ski in Poland and Slovakia. We visited Galibier-Thabor area on 21st-26th March 2015. We stayed in Grand Panorama 1 in Valmeinier.

Snow quality last week of March is acceptable. At altitudes 2000-2600m skiing is OK all day, below 2000m you can have fun before noon, maybe 1pm. Later it was too wet.

There are some slow lifts, some fast lifts. None of them are "state of the art" - no heated seats, no wind covers. A few older lifts are uncomfortable for a tall person. Favourite lifts: Moneul, Brive 2, Cornafond.

Some of the pistes were surprisingly narrow (especially some green and blue ones). About 15 out of 89 were closed (many black closed). As an intermediate skier I liked the red pistes, many of those were a lot of fun! Aigle, Pervenche, Tetras, Blaireau.

The views are beautiful - wonderful mountains! Be sure to take Armera at least once. I also recommend Selles - it's very easy, but views are amazing.

Prices for hot chocolate in the bars: 3.50€-4.90€.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy