Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Season is DOOMED! (Says the Daily Mail....)

Poster: A snowHead
@Mollerski, Laughing
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar wrote:
@Mollerski, Laughing

Mr. Smug doesn't go for another three weeks. Come on Dollie Superski, don't let me down! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
With current snow predictions, 2007 was better than this xmas is about to be in the PDS. In 2007 the top of Pleney was technically open, all the lifts in Linderets were running. I can't remember what happened in Les Gets.
Having been up for a look this morning there is no snow in Linderets, apart from the man made blue coming down from the Avoriaz side. Nothing else is skiable because the snow is about 3cm thick. I had to walk from the bubble to the four man lift.
They may be able to open the link to Plaine Dranse but they will be down loading on the Chaux Fleurie chair, to return to Linderets, like in the good old days.

It's not possible by any stretch of the imagination to ski either to Ardent or Prodains so lots of downloading at the end of the day.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
2007 (I'm guessing this was Christmas 2006, Jan 2007? but i'd have to double check my calendar). Les Gets was shut in 1st week of Jan. Think they may have had 1 stripe of slush from top of Chavannes lift down to the restaurants.

Ardent gondola was shut. 1 blue down from Avoriaz in to Lindarets valley was open (30cm of wet cement manmade slush). Everything else around the Lindarets sector was shut.

Christmas may well have been better, but the rain washed it all away. I guess there is still scope for that this year.

The first 2 days, we had to queue to buy passes, and they'd obviously only sell limited passes daily. Tried Les Gets when it did eventually snow, but they sent the bashers out asap to compact 10cm of snow, and it was like skiing on stones and pine cones. We spent almost the entire week on about 2 runs in Avoriaz, and were downlifting on Zore to get to SuperMorzine.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ahh, happy days. Sounds like a normal day in Oz
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The webcams I'm looking at are showing light snowfall today. Is that happening all across the Alps?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@queen bodecia, no
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Courmayeur looks a lot better today. Megeve is a disaster - look away
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
on my iphone there is a chance of snow in morzine and les gets from 4pm uk time.
it snowed in val d'isere last night too.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Here's Meribel Chaudanne and Morzine pleney snapshots...from a few mins ago

snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mistral_ski, most likely this round of snow, even if it settles in the valleys, is just going to be enough to refresh what's already there at higher altitudes. I can't see it lasting down in the valleys.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Would people be arriving in Morzine on Saturday 20 for XMAS week? If so, I am happy to go with "doomed" for pre-XMAS in Megeve and low resorts around GVA (e.g. Morzine, Les Gets, Megeve etc). Les Aravis can also go into the basket of Christmas basket cases.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Milky Way (Sestriere etc) looking better than Haute Savoie?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Juddernaut, yes, arrive Sat/Sun 20th 21st for Xmas week I'd say.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@kitenski, Yep, that is what I am thinking. Not sure what is worse at XMAS; Hull or rain drenched Morzine. What a bummer for those people.
ski holidays
@Juddernaut, who said anything about rain drenched? I was under the impression high pressure was going to resume from the 22nd and we are all going back in shorts and t shirts.
snow conditions
Well if this season is doomed, how come we have just had three excellent days skiing in three seperate areas in Zillertal!
ski holidays
foxtrotzulu wrote:
In retrospect, the Daily Mail article wasn't that inaccurate was it? Problems applies more to France than Austria, but otherwise?

A few days later, the above remains a very good point. In fact article in the Telegraph yesterday was more inaccurate, painting an overly positive assessment of the snow situation in France and perhaps giving people intending to travel next week too much hope as to how much quality skiing will be available. The article could have been written by a representative of a ski tour operator.
snow conditions
Paul100 wrote:
foxtrotzulu wrote:
In retrospect, the Daily Mail article wasn't that inaccurate was it? Problems applies more to France than Austria, but otherwise?

A few days later, the above remains a very good point. In fact article in the Telegraph yesterday was more inaccurate, painting an overly positive assessment of the snow situation in France and perhaps giving people intending to travel next week too much hope as to how much quality skiing will be available. The article could have been written by a representative of a ski tour operator.

You cannot say the season is doomed yet, I admit Xmas week isn't looking brilliant for those flying out this weekend.
latest report
@kitenski, you are right that one week does not doom a whole season, but the forecast for France for the rest of the month is looking poor. If Flaine were unable to open this weekend, I cant see them open for New Year week either to any great extent. These two weeks normally will pull a lot of cash into the resorts. VT in 3v has most of their area open but it will be very crowded over the next couple of weeks. Maybe they will have to limit the sale of ski passes? Everyone here on the forum will want it to be better for those going soon.
snow report
@kitenski, exactly right. It could quickly change for the better, just outside the horizon of the current forecasts. If you include the skiing already done this season it's actually got off to a pretty decent start if you head high. I did a couple of weeks pre-season (Tignes and Zermatt) and had excellent conditions, as good as I've know for glacier skiing. And while it was a bit of a pain last week to have to drive to Val Thorens from Meribel every day, the piste (and on one day off-piste) conditions were close to perfect, even if the available terrain was a bit limited compared to a normal start to the season. It's bad, but for not doomed.

And it's snowing in Les Arcs right now Happy
snow conditions
@kitenski,

In fairness, as another poster pointed out, neither article (or recent one in the Times) ever mentioned the season being doomed. Think that turn of phrase was poetic licence by the Snowheads thread starter. All media have made it clear that it is an issue affecting the start of the ski season and possibly (probably?) impacting on the busy Christmas week. The words "doom" or "doomed" were never used.
ski holidays
For most French resorts "the season" wasn't due to start till the end of this week, regardless of snow cover. Certainly the first two weeks look like being rubbish in many places. But it's not just France. My niece and family are going to the Arlberg - St Anton looks like being awful. Little open, very crowded. Some resorts in France, Austria and italy have quite reasonable conditions. Others, all over, are poor.
latest report
davidof has dug out a pic from Alpe d'Huez 18th December 2001

snow conditions
@kitenski, although there was more snow, I remember sitting in the rain on millenium New Year's day heading from Morzine to Avoriaz, not an unusual occurrence either.

I also remember not so many year's ago ? 2009 ? over at a certain other SH's in Morzine getting really rather over refreshed on NY's day as the rain was up to 4,000m.

My OH doesn't ski in the rain...
snow report
I'm now out in Serre Chevalier and yesterday went up the hill and more than adequate snow from mid station(s) upwards and I spent most of the time skiing soft snow off piste or on pistes yet to be bashed.

Pistes were in great condition - only hassle is having to get the lift back down as there's no snow even with the cannons, and as I type this the temp is on the increase and it's now +8 at 1420m

I've set up a new pan & tilt webcam with a number of pre sets so you can look at things yourself http://www.stylealtitude.com/serrechevalierweathercam.html

Have to say forecast is bleak snow wise but loads of sunshine !
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy