Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which Italian resort for Christmas week?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Me and my gf have decided to go to Italy for Christmas as we usually end up in France in either Tignes or Alpe D'huez so fancy a change - we'd like to try Austria but put off by perceived lack of ski convenience and my gf has it in her head that the runs will be harder there - but open to suggestions if anyone can give good suggestions.

I've found some nice looking hotels in the following places- Sestriere,Madonna Di Campiglio and Val Di Fassa - now i've spent a day or 2 in both Sestriere and MdC whilst staying in neighbouring resorts and done the Sella Ronda circuit whilst staying in Selva a few years ago but have no real memory of that area - now i'm looking for people's thoughts on things like how busy the slopes get and lift queues at xmas in any of those areas from past experience although in a way i'm guessing until we know how much of each resort is likely to be open due to the late start to winter that it's going to be hard to predict especially if resort runs are still closed by then.

With that in mind my dilemna is do we wait another week to see how each resort fares but risk the rooms in the niice hotels being booked or book now (i'm leaning towards Madonna as that looks the nicest place) and risk the conditions not being great by then.

Any thoughts on ski schools in those areas too?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Atomic_Mick, North Western italy so far seems to be doing best, no idea further east.

Champoluc f'r instance, doesn't really get busy until just before NY. I'd think rest of Italy much the same? So risk of leaving late not so tricky. And slopes unlikely to be busy.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@under a new name, thanks for the advice - the reason that i'm concerned with leaving it very late (like a week or few days before we go) is that i'm looking at tour op deals so i do know that i run the risk of either the hotel rooms being sold and/or the flight seats already sold.

Looking at the Madonna webcams earlier and it looks like they've had plenty up high but like many other resorts nothing down at resort level.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Atomic_Mick, +1 for MdC. we were there in 2013 and loved it. If you are thinking of going then I VERY strongly suggest you pick the brains of a fellow Snowhead. Campiglio runs a TO that only does MdC http://www.enchantedholidays.co.uk and he knows the place backwards. He'd be delighted to answer Q's even if you don't end up booking through him. Despite the flash new website he's also v good value. can't sing his praises enough Embarassed and 'no', I'm not on commission!

With regard to Austria, I'd say the runs in Obergurgl this year were definitely no harder than Italy and significantly easier than France. Ski convenience was exceptional, so no idea where that idea comes from. Combine teutonic efficiency with the Italian dolce vita and you end up with a pretty good place.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Atomic_Mick, can't you diy? And at least firm flights up now? E.g. geneva gets you to the Aosta valley easily.

Otherwise, yes, I'd not take the flight risk (as it were)
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Cervinia.

Stays pretty quiet until Boxing Day. There have been a few posts showing they have plenty of snow too. Loads of long, wide, gentle slopes to help build your OHs confidence.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@foxtrotzulu, thanks for the heads up on Campiglio and also on Obergurgl - i'll give them a look up.

@under a new name, diy booking so late at peak times i think will just work out too expensive for us when you add together the cost of flights,transfers and hotel especially as we're looking for half board.

@hammerite, We had been looking at Cervinia especially with it being high altitude and one of the few resorts to have plenty of early season snow - whats putting me off so far is the hotel reviews for there that we can find within our budget haven't got the best of reviews.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well i;ve gone and booked us in to the Alpen Hotel Vidi in Madonna through Crystal as i know MdC is a lovely place and the hotels got good reviews - the upper slopes look pretty good already just hope now for some more down to resort over the next 2 weeks.

Thanks to everyone who gave advice and especially to Campiglio who has been very helpful when i pm'd him earlier asking a few questions.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Atomic_Mick, delighted you are going to MdC. We loved it there. Also pleased that Campiglio was helpful. He's a lovely chap. Shame it didn't work out for you to book with him too. No availability? More expensive than Crystal?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Atomic_Mick, in case you hadn't seen it, have a look at this:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2432045&highlight=pradalago#2432045

The restaurant recommendations quoted in my post are actually from Campiglio too!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@foxtrotzulu, yes he was very helpful but couldn't get close to the offer from Crystal - i told him what i could get through Crystal - 3* half board @£599 for standard room or £645 for superior - we went for the superior in the end - it's the most we've ever paid for a ski holiday but still think that's pretty good value for Christmas week in a pretty high end resort when you consider that most half decent hotels in the Alps you'd be paying that kind of money just for the hotel alone.

I think i'd seen that thread before but i'll print it out as will be helpful for mountain restaurants.

I'm surprised more tour ops don't go to MdC or Folgarida - which in itself is a nice little place - in a way though it's nice as that means the area stays very Italian - just makes it a bit harder to get a good deal to go there.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy