Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone have experience of a season in NZ

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Apologies for this being my third post in 3 days!

Following my post a few weeks ago about wanting to work a season but having left it a little late for this winter I have decided to seriously investigate a season in NZ. I am aware the resorts are very different and most people live off resort and travel everyday so wouldn't necessarily have to have a ski related job to enjoy the season.

I have already applied and paid for my NZ working holiday visa as I plan to go traveling in late February anyway. This has been a hard decision as I am quitting a full time NHS job to pursue my ambition of traveling so got to make it worth it!

Has anyone done it? How did you find it? Any recommendations? Advice?

Much appreciated x
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Being a kiwi I will give my two cents worth.....I would base yourself in the south island. Dont bother about the north island fields (there are only 2 real ones), as the weather is more often than not rubbish and the snow is pretty average and icy a lot of the time. North island gets more snow than the south but the quality is not as good. Prob the choice of the masses is either Wanaka or Queenstown. Queenstown has more work but is more expensive but for a young one it would be a lot of fun! There are some club fields about an hour from Christchurch but the snow is pretty unreliable (good when its good but really bad when its bad) and there is not a lot of work around.

There is no on mountain accommodation so you will need to travel to the ski field/s each day.

I haven't actually done a season there (seems you never do in your own country) so cant provide any info on that.

Good luck!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have done a season there. I based myself in Queenstown so I had The Remarkables and Coronet Peak on my doorstep. Corona and Treble Cone were a small road trip away. I sorted a job before I got out there (phone interview) and worked for NZski in their finance office in the centre of Queenstown.
I'd do it again if I could, it was great fun. I would:

1) buy a liftpass as far in advance as possible as it's a lot cheaper. If you are lucky to get a job working for the ski field company (NZ ski in my case), they will refund the liftpass cost
2) See if you can sort a job before you get there, it makes life a lot less stressful
3) Get out there before the season starts and get accommodation sorted
4) Hire or better still buy a car. I bought in Christchurch then sold it Auckland 6 months later and lost only a few hundred NZ$, far cheaper than hiring and gave me complete freedom

Do it, and take the opportunity to travel round a bit after the season finishes - it's an amazing country.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I agree with above, id look at basing yourself in the Queenstown, Cromwell or Wanaka areas. Then you've got access to Remarks, Coronet, Treble, Cardrona & Snow Farm..
Queenstown is probably the most expensive day to day costs but then again has the largest amount of tourist so more opportunities for jobs within that side of things. Know alot of people that have based themselves in Wanaka which is a bit cheaper living costs and a bit less of a tourist vibe with a really good lifestyle and nightlife there. Have spent a lot of time around there and its certainly a great place to live. However if Queenstown slopes will be a bit further out of the way..
As magicrichard mentioned id look at getting a car as will make things easier, I know friends who have chipped in a bought a car together for the season and ended up being a great option without having to shell out a huge amount of money.
Always a benefit being setup with a job and accom before arriving, can be an expensive places to start off with
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Having lived for a number of years in both Wanaka and Queenstown I agree with every thing above except on the cost of living. Petrol, groceries and rent are all either the same or more expensive than Queenstown. Wanaka is quieter and more layed back but work is way harder to find due simply to the size of the town. Wanaka has about 6,000 residents and Queenstown area about 20,000. Both are great for a season so come on down. Lots of British do the working holiday in this part of the country. Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy