Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which Skis To Buy for an intermediate skiier?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking at two different skis with different bindings. The first is Rossignol Experience 78 skis with Axium 110 bindings. The other is K2 Axis XP skis with Salomon S912 bindings. Which combination is better for the intermediate skiier
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
under a new name wrote:
Yes.

I think what under a new name means is that it is difficult - nay, impossible for us to tell you which pair of skis is most appropriate to you with such a vague question. We have no idea how you ski, how well you ski, where you ski, what you ski at present, who you are to be skiing and a number of other extremely relevant omissions.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Welcome to snowheads Smile Don't buy as an intermediate, rent is my advice, unless you are a local/doing a season or part season (*or are in america, where rental prices are insane). Rentals let you try lots of skis, no maintenance, no annoying airline supplements and you don't outgrow them. What's driving you towards considering buying?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I just want to be able to have My own to use over the upcoming years plus rentals are 40 per day and my friends and I want to go on multiple trips this winter
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The K2s must be pretty old. I'd go with the Rossignols.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

rentals are 40 per day

40 whats a day? Surely not euros? If so you are being roundly ripped off.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What do you want to ski down, beautiful pisted runs, off piste, chopped up moguls or a combination of the lot. I bought my first skis without having much of a clue and bought head skis which were great on the piste in the morning. I was useless on them in the afternoon and could barely get over a bump. now got Dynastar Outland pro 80 which are all mountain and my skiing improved ten fold.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I ski mostly in the Poconos in Pennsylvania on blue mountain, and some other smaller mountaints, which is a combination of terrains. I'm an above average skier and enjoy faster speeds. The rentals at blue are $40 per day and with the amount of trips we are planning, I'd probably be better off just buying a pair that will last me awhile.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Is there a ski test local to you? It would be good for you to try out several different skis before buying. Find out what you are comfortable on then make a purchase. Contact a local shop to the slope and see if they do one. Or will let you try several pairs before buying.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Don't buy now and don't pre-book rental skis either.

When you get to resort wander round a few hire shops seeing who's got what, then pick one and hire a pair of something you're looking at for a couple of days. At the end take them back and either hire other skis you're interested in from the same shop if they have them or a different shop if not.

When you get home if you still want to buy, buy the ones you enjoyed skiing on the most.

If you're willing to give up a little snow time it can be worth popping in to one of the combined ski hire and sales places and chatting to them, saying you're looking to buy/what would they recommend/can you hire pairs of their recommendations. I say if you're willing to give up some snow time because if you try to do this Saturday afternoon/Sunday morning when they have a queue out the door you're going to be less welcome than if you do it after lunch Monday when it's just you and the staff in the place. If you've hired, rather than being given pairs to test it's up to you if you buy from them or someone else when you get home.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@mikeelsa, I've got a pair of Outland 80XTs. Good for everything. Like you, they seem to have improved my skiing enormously.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yep, America then. I do recommend buying if you are going to do more than a week in the states as the rental prices are just crazy -BUT if you possibly can buy ex-demo/rental in resort where you can try them before committing. Skis are very dependant on weight/style and I found skis that at the time online reviews raved about as the one to have "intermediate all rounder" I bought, cheap from decathlon, and then hated for 2 years (5 weeks) before giving in and selling. I'm heavy and for me they were made of cheese strings and no use at all.

If you tell us your height and weight and if you prefer forgiving-with-a-bit-of-slide-at-the-edge-and-kinda-work-offpiste or ice-hold-carve-for-sweeping-down-single-blacks-at-speed we might be able to offer a bit of advice, but nothing replaces a demo, I certainly would never buy skis again without trying them out beforehand.

That said, of those two, the rossi would get my vote. Unless K2 re-released that Axis a lot later than I think.

aj x

FWIW/others later I don't recommmend this in eu (again US a little different)
"When you get to resort wander round a few hire shops seeing who's got what, then pick one and hire a pair of something you're looking at for a couple of days. At the end take them back and either hire other skis you're interested in from the same shop if they have them or a different shop if not. "
It's very prone to being seriously overcharged when in france in particular. Pre-book from a recommended shop is a good compromise - most shops which are high regarded will have a good selection and free/small charge changeover of skis.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I got some Rossignol Pursuit 16 Aramid piste skis last year and have been really pleased with them.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ah yes, I gather rental in the US is extortionate. No competition, again? Like the extortionate ski lessons.
ski holidays
+1 for the Rossy Pursuits.

Not sure what the prices are like in the states but you can pick a pair of these up for about £200 at the moment from Ekosport including bindings. Must be a better option to renting.
snow conditions
Astraeus wrote:
under a new name wrote:
Yes.

I think what under a new name means is that it is difficult - nay, impossible for us to tell you which pair of skis is most appropriate to you with such a vague question. We have no idea how you ski, how well you ski, where you ski, what you ski at present, who you are to be skiing and a number of other extremely relevant omissions.

No, I think under a new name is being his usual sarcastic self.
ski holidays
@jellylegs, I am so not usually sarcastic. Rude, facetious and unhelpful, perhaps.

I just answered the question, as phrased, truthfully and to the best of my knowledge.

Now that @sburnham26, has provided a little useful information, one can be a little more helpful.

Blue Mountain is East Coast right? So if you are mostly skiing there, I would imagine that you'll mostly want a piste oriented (->100%) ski. How often do you get fresh (natural) snow? It's difficult to find a poor ski these days so you almost can't get it wrong, but bear in mind that some skis (e.g. typically Volkl) tend to suit heavier/more aggressive skiers. You do want to try before buying if you can.

Do you live in or near a town with an independent ski sale/rental shop? My perception is that the on-hill rental is so expensive because they are a monopoly, whereas in a town you might have competition.

Otherwise I note that Blue has a trial day "service" which is indeed eye watering at $60 for the day, but you get to try three models of ski of which once you know what you like, you can probably acquire the previous or even older model brand new on the interpipes. https://www.skibluemt.com/winter-sports/skiing-riding/retail-and-tuning/ - the range available is reasonably broad. So for one shot of cash, you can hopefully find something you'll be fery happy with for some years.
ski holidays
Also, these guys will rent skis for the weekend for $38 http://www.buckmans.com/buckmans-ski-snowboard/buckmans-rental-rates.aspx if there's one nearby or en route.
latest report
Don't rule out Ebay. I Picked up a set of Rossi Z76 Ti + Axium 120s , used for one week ( you could tell - not a scuff on the top deck or bindings anywhere ), for £100, and I love them.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy