Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Masella Girona Airport

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi I wonder if anyone can help I have booked flights to Girona{Spain) for the weekend 20 to 22 Jan 2006, what is the nearest resort which is ok and not too crowded. I have heard La Molina/Masella is close but I do not know anything about them or ant good accomodation. Or should I hire and drive to Andorra?
Thanks Tim
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pazpalmer, we fly into Gerona on the 5th Feb - head for either El Tarter / Canillo / Soldeu.

www.andorramania.com for your accommodation
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Paul Mason, how long will it take to drive.
Tim
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I havent actually done the drive myself - last few years its been from Toulouse but i reckon it'll take about three hours max.
snow report
 brian
brian
I've used Girona airport to get to/from Barcelona. It's nice and small so getting out and on the road is quick. Car hire is just out and round the corner from baggage so it's easy to send someone on ahead to try and beat the queue.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Last time I was in Girona airport was 1985. I thought it looked quite big, but I was only 9 at the time
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Many people find it quicker to take the motorway from Girona into France and then follow the signs to Andorra.....approaching from the Spanish side can be more crowded at weekends, esp if you get caught in the main town Andorra La Vella.
For La Molina....there is a bus which leaves Girona at 16:15 and gets into La Molina at 19:05....that will give you an idea of driving times.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm going to La Molina on Thursday week so will let ye know the lowdown on return. From the information I have it is about 2h 10m from Girona. For accommodation check out www.masella.com, loads of links to hotels etc but check distance to the slopes as some of them are well down the valley. We are staying in a refugi in La Molina as very hard to get a hotel nearby over New Year. La Molina and Masella seem like a progressive resorts and have north facing slopes and lots of tree skiing so have good snow retention. Can't wait only 9 days to go!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Peter Ross, thanks alot I would be really interested to hear your comments, i need to decide wether i travel ti La Molina or carry onto Andorra
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pazpalmer, For a short break I think La Molina is closer and also less traffic to get through as you race back to the airport, I believe Andorra la Vella can be a right bottleneck. The only thing about La Molina and Masella from my research is that it's busy at weekends as it's the closest snow to Barcelona and a train goes to it from Barca.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just back from La Molina/Masella. Had a great time with lots of good snow and varied pistes. The resort handled the crowds well considering the time of year with very few lift queues. There is lots tree lined pistes and varied runs. I didn't get to ski the whole resort (110km) in the five days I was there so a pretty good piste area. Had lots of fresh snow on New Year's day and the following day so got some powder skiing in. A very freindly and relatively cheap place that is only 2 hours drive from Girona airport. Lift pass was €130 for five days and ski and boot hire just €44, got 10% discount for these from accommodation. We stayed in two refugis about 3km from the slopes (Refugi UEC and then Refugi Pere Carne) needed to switch accommodation as peak season and couldn't get one place for 5 nights. Half board in these places €25 per night, so very cheap. Would recommend either of them although bigger breakfasts in refugi UEC but a little cosier setting at Pere Carne. We drove to the slopes each day with ample free parking although can get a ski bus (although can't wear ski boots on the bus!). I would definitely recommend this resort for it's proximity to the airport, good value, friendliness and well sheltered tree line skiing. There was a far number of English speakers skiing although it is mainly a resort for Catalans esp. Barcelona as there is a direct train and easy road access from there. Had 2 private lesons with my partner and have never met a better teacher than Christian Llobet of the La Molina Ski School at Pista Llarga. Apres ski not too hectic although one really nice bar in La Molina called Tapas Bar.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
whoops, posted twice
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
hi pete, i'm going to attempt something similar to you, we are arriving at Gerona airport, hiring a car and driving to andorra.

How was your experience of doing this, would you recommend it? I suppose as long as the car hire desk is open in the airport and you find your way onto the correct road then very little can go wrong? would you agree

Jon
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi JONR and welcome to snowheads, Car hire is easy, I booked through http://www.travelsupermarket.com/carhire (very good value and selects cheapest option, forget the well known brands such as hertz as they are just ripping you off). We had Auriga as our hire company, used them before in Spain and no problems. The only problem you might encounter is poor driving conditions but you can buy snow chains for about €30 from petrol stations if you need them. The road as far as La Molina is very good although gets twisty for the last 20km, if you want to go to Andorra you can avoid this by taking the Cadi tunnell (€10 toll). Just use one of the routefinder websites to get the route map.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy