Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Via Lattea snow 2014/15

Poster: A snowHead
oh, hope there is snow in sight... booked for half term and don't want to be disappointed.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Talks of a bit overnight, and some after the 8/9th. You can view webcams here: http://www.vialattea.it/Multimedia/Web-Cam
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@HeidiAmsterdam, Us too. Montgenevre for half term. Still only part open.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Heading to Sauze for the first time on the 17th Jan and getting a little worried based on current conditions and the forecast for high temperatures and minimal snowfall.

As we are staying close to the Clotes lift, my question is can you download on the Clotes chair at the end of the day?

I don't expect to be able to ski down as far as the Clotes chairlift as I'm sure the piste will be closed so I'm hoping that I can at least download at the end of the day?

Also are there any lockers at the Clotes hire shop?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is there a website that tells us what lifts are open?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@debtors#2, you should be fine to download via Clotes and you can definitely download from Sportinia as that's where the nursery slope is (and some restaurants and hotels). It's about 4 mins on the skibus from the two lifts so won't be too much of a problem.

There is storage at the Clotes hire shop

@johnboy, not sure on this but to you both I suggest contacting James who will know all definitively - http://www.sauzeonline.com/

we're off to Sauze later this month so aiming to keep this thread bumped wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Averaging reports from various sites shows that there will be 5cm+ over this coming week, with 1-3cm on Thursday night, as well as 4-7cm expected Sunday (temperature dependent, could be rain). So that is perfect for holiday makers leaving this coming Sunday. There is also a low pressure front coming from the south which is expected to bring 20cm+ on the 15th-20th, giving the southern alps the snow it needs this winter.

@johnboy, I couldn't find anywhere mentioning chair lift names, but one site (skiclub) says 56 out of 67.

I'm heading out this Sunday so if anyone keeps up to date with the forecast, let me know of any changes as conditions on a mountain can change drastically. If that low pressure front coming to the alps this week shifts south a bit, the Via Lattea area could easily receive 10-20cm. It's right on the edge.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just got tweet from Crystal Rep and currently possible to ski back to near my Hotel (Splendid) which is only a few hundred metres from Clotes lift. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
http://www.vialattea.it/language/en-US/Multimedia/Bollettino

Yes this says 56 lifts open, although it shows all links open, but Montgenevre is not showing connections to Claviere or the Mountains of the Moon ???

Sestriere 2 lifts closed, Sauze 2, Sansicario 1, Claviere 2, Montgenevre 8.

100 out of 320 (320 km = only Vialattea Italy )
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The pistes might be open (just) but what they don't tell you is how bad a condition they are in.

If you have uber sharp edged craving skis you might be ok.

We're doing a mini road trip for a couple of days from our home base here in Serre to Val Frejus which I was near on New Years Eve and they had a lot of snow over there, and is still being reported as having the most snow in the French Alps.

So I'll be driving down pass Claviere, Cesana, Oulx etc and will let you know laters.

In the mean time you can look at our PTZ webcam we have set up in our garden and see if the snow that is forecast actually falls, which I doubt it will Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Weathercam, thanks for the webcam and please keep us updated. Although it's not in Via Lattea, it's still a good representation of what we should expect. Snow reports have all changed and given us false hope. It now talks of no snow until after the 15th Sad. That's mid-week for me, but I really hope the pistes aren't in bad condition before that.

On the other hand, I'm so excited to go skiing again Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Weathercam, any idea what it is like in Montgenevre ???
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Weathercam,
Yup me too, off to Montgenevre on 17th January. Praying for more snow
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@bruisedskier, @Timbobaggins, sorry it's more fecked than here in Serre. Was talking to a Brit who works for the lift Co and lives here and she was saying the reason why Serre has better conditions over Montgenevre is that when we had the big dump back in November the piste bashers went out to consolidate it, whilst in Monte they did not.

Last year was the reverse and we skied Monte a fair bit as it's only 20 mins from here. In fact we could not use our Serre passes there at the beginning of the season as they were worried about the influx of people from Serre !

It's not good, sorry, the plus points are that you can ski and like I say, if you have carving skis then they're so much better than all mountain skis etc, and it's sunny so if you like lunching on the mountain etc and all that then the conditions are excellent Smile
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Weathercam,

Oh well, just have to get on the lash then wink
snow conditions
Cheers guys for the info!

"Just got tweet from Crystal Rep and currently possible to ski back to near my Hotel (Splendid) which is only a few hundred metres from Clotes lift"

That's encouraging, I had to contend with downloading last year at Zell, so was hoping for better luck this time around. Clotes webcam pics don't look too great at the moment so fingers crossed the snow forecast from the 15th is a bumper harvest Very Happy
snow conditions
@Weathercam what about Sestriere/Sauze? Off this weekend and worried I might have to get the grass skis out!
snow conditions
Weathercam wrote:
@bruisedskier, @Timbobaggins, sorry it's more fecked than here in Serre. Was talking to a Brit who works for the lift Co and lives here and she was saying the reason why Serre has better conditions over Montgenevre is that when we had the big dump back in November the piste bashers went out to consolidate it, whilst in Monte they did not.

Last year was the reverse and we skied Monte a fair bit as it's only 20 mins from here. In fact we could not use our Serre passes there at the beginning of the season as they were worried about the influx of people from Serre !

It's not good, sorry, the plus points are that you can ski and like I say, if you have carving skis then they're so much better than all mountain skis etc, and it's sunny so if you like lunching on the mountain etc and all that then the conditions are excellent Smile

How far is Serre from Monte. Is Serre available on the Sauze pass for a day?

Thanks
ski holidays
hi all, i was skiing in claviere on the 2nd and 3rd of jan, and sestriere on the 4th.

The links between claviere and montgenevre were all closed, apparently due to lack of snow though that wasnt evident from afar.

we skiied quite happily the pistes, seemed in reasonably good condition but the chair to the upper part of claviere was closed so all in all a bit limited. Spent alot of time on pistes 93 95 and 97 and found some pockets of nice snow in the trees between them. Lower down not skiable off piste.

Headed over to sestriere on the sunday 4th and it was horiibly icy everywhere, very busy and rocks cropping up all over......

Apparently montgenevre was pretty bad, so perhaps claviere is the best of the via lattea at the moment.

need a good snowfall!
snow conditions
sequoiaboard wrote:
Looked good on the cams today, although obviously no fresh falls. Booked for Sestriere four weeks tomorrow. Not worried. Any other Snowheads in the area then?

Hmm, now mildly worried. Off on the 18th Jan.
ski holidays
Selfishly happy to hear Clav is the best of the bunch, heading over on the 25th
ski holidays
Skiing in Sauze is fine at the moment - firm snow with the odd patch of hardback. Have to take chair back down to Jouvanceaux but that is no great hardship. The ladies downhill run to Sansicario is rather nice, as long as you do not go past the Soleil Boeuf.

Lot skiers seem to come over from Sestriere as the snow is so poor over there.
latest report
@deerman, Thanks Deerman great news despite shame re Jouvencaux run, lovely long lazy trip home....
ski holidays
I guess clotes is still closed. Can you download Clotes?
latest report
Quote:

Just got tweet from Crystal Rep and currently possible to ski back to near my Hotel (Splendid)

Hoping the temps stay low and get a top up, staying here the first week of February.

Will be interested to see what everyone out there this month is saying.

A.
latest report
James @ Suazeonline has posted 2 videos from yesterdays skiing on the facebook page, doesn't look all that bad up high thankfully!

https://www.facebook.com/sauzeonline?fref=ts

Very Happy
snow report
he's a good lad
ski holidays
Thanks for that @debtors#2. Looks really well maintained. A few cm forecasted for this Sunday, although my predictions always jynx themselves so I'm hoping for NO SNOW wink

I'm off on Sunday to Sestriere. Skiing is almost here for me and I can't wait! Very Happy I'll post a report once I return.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sorry guys but this was the view up to Sauze this afternoon coming back down the auto route looking up to Sauze......

Hopefully better high up!

ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:
Sorry guys but this was the view up to Sauze this afternoon coming back down the auto route looking up to Sauze......

Hopefully better high up!

It looks..... horrible Sad . Hopefully I get a miracle as I leave on Sunday. Thanks for the pic
latest report
OMG. A year is a long time in the snowfall caper.....
snow conditions
Currently out in Sestriere at the moment and well where to start.

The current situation is that they are working very hard to make the area skiable. We have found the best conditions to be near the top in Sauze. Sestriere has been okay but lots of ski schools and racing school stuff going on so avoided that. It is unusually warm and due to the freeze-thaw conditions anything off piste is rock solid and practically ice.

Few more lifts closed today due to high winds (may bring in a better weather system for some of you folk coming here soon?!?!). Whilst we would have liked more off piste and more snow, its difficult to be fussy considering the warm weather at the moment. Some runs are not in great condition however I would say the majority of what we have done has been bearable and workable.

In our group we have two boarders (including myself) and a skier and we have coped. I would say that new and fresh snow is a must though
snow report
We're heading out to Sauze for half term, so also watching weather. Dutch weather reports are saying a dusting of snow on Sunday, and 3 cm later in the week. Hardly what's needed though... the weather pattern thus far isn't too cheery.
ski holidays
@hammy050, Thanks for that.
snow report
@HeidiAmsterdam, don't know when your half term is, but if it's February then you have nothing to worry about. Will be fine by then. As for next week, forecasts still saying some this Sunday, as well as 15cm+ Wednesday onwards. A dump needed but we just have to get on with it and enjoy what there is.

Thanks @hammy050
snow report
This looks promising.................

http://www.meteoexploration.com/forecasts/Sestriere/?lang=en
snow conditions
@bruisedskier, Smile
snow conditions
@Kav, we are heading out 21 Feb...but would hate to see last year's Austria in Italy...
latest report
Just got back from a week at Sauze today. Went out yesterday morning, only first two lifts open, pistes were combination of slush/ice/bare earth and lots of debris from storm the previous day, no pleasure and we called it a day after one run. Temperature in the village was 13C in the shade and 23C in the sun - and lots of people out in shorts, t shirts, flip flops. Beginning of the week was very good and we got over to Sestriere on Wednesday and the runs we skied were excellent so maybe more hope over that way. We only managed three days skiing - one lost to d and v bug, one to high winds and one to the thaw. Good luck for this week and hope things improve.
ski holidays
@FireballXL5, Cripes, we're leaving for Sestriere a week today Shocked
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy