Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Via Lattea snow 2014/15

Poster: A snowHead
We are 2 Sarah's
And you?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Another foggy day. Less snow but poor visibility. Managed to ski until now (15:30) but fog now in Sestriere so safer to head to the bar!!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
So road trip to Via Lattea was the plan today from Serre Che - but where to go ?

Opted to drive up to San Sicario as I've never actually set foot in the "village". Very strange place that was built for the Olympics when they had the luge and bob sleigh events there.

Eventually worked out where to park up as had to exchange voucher for tickets.

And conditions were pretty grim with intense fog / cloud. Parked up next to us were a couple of French FreeRide Dudes from LDA with their dog so whilst we were all getting ready dogs had some fun.

Then it was literally try and find the lift. Clocked a couple of locals with big skis so had a nag to them and they said there was nigh on a meter plus so steep and deep.

Going up on the chair I knew what to expect, having had similar conditions in the place that can't be named three or four weeks ago.

If you venture off piste you have to go steep as you'll just come to a standstill and get stuck, so was quite a learning curve for the OH as we hit the trees, and I did find myself having to wait quite a while at times as she dug herself out.

So it was hard work combat skiing, not really helped by not knowing the area to well and not being able to suss the terrain out due to low viz.

Did have one cracking tree run, that literally nearly ended up with me cracking my shin as I hit a buried horizontal tree / sapling that sent me flying as my ski was caught under it with my chin taking the brunt of it, now nursing a nice long graze and bruising the length of my shin Sad

And there was a long walk out of that run.

On another good tree run was waiting for the Mrs when these three dudes popped out of the trees and it was guy I know, Eitienne who runs Riquet Sports here in Serre Che rolling eyes

OH had a few twinges in the knee from getting too stuck and she found it hard.

But we ended up scoring some nice lines, but would have been better to maybe wait a couple of days, not least for more of the area to open up.

Oh should add that we came down at lunch to let the dogs out, then decided to drive back down to Oulx and then up to Sauze for the afternoon session which was more of the same.

snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sounds like good fun but seriously what is 'the place that can't be named' and if you can't name it why? It's very mysterious...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hey guys, it looks good wink

a local in Sauze told me that they had a meter of fresh snow in the past 3-days......it does look promising.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Heading out on Sunday...terrible early flight but short transfer from Turin should give time to ski in the afternoon as well. Very excited as for the first time this season it looks like we're gonna be heading somewhere with lots of fresh snow Smile
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Great to see these resorts getting different snowfall to Serre Che and only 45 mins away, we drove through Cesana and San Sicario on the way to Sestriere last month!!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Indeed we were, @KenX, and I'm revisiting already!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Have a great time Sarah!!!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I can only say, I wish I was heading out this week, but have to be India instead...just gutted!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well what a different today was!
Sun and blue sky!!! Stayed out until 16:15 ! Oddly lots of people out but still little to no queues.
Instructor took us over to SouzeDu. Nice conditions until you get down to the village where it was slushy and brownish.
Afternoon over in Sestriere good snow all around.
Tomorrow supposed to be similar to today so more sunscreen Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@redbaron51, @belette, looks like we'll be out there same time. Possible meet up during the week?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@lilywhite, yes lilywhite.....@gallabar, will also be there.......
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yep sounds good!

We're based in Sestriere- hopefully arriving early enough to have a bit of a ski on Sunday too, although wind looks highest that day and with snowfall it might be a bit wild. Where are others based?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@belette, me, lilywhite and rgriffith will be in Sauze

looking forward to a great week skiing Very Happy
ski holidays
Anyone in Pragelato? How's it looking there?
latest report
doesn't look to good in Pragelato, rather stay at home, it's not worth the hassle

last monday it looked like this (photo from www.wepowder.com)

wednesday 18th in nearby via lattea
latest report
Had snowed again over night in Sestriere, not much couple of inches.
Hope everyone has a good week and hope the fog stays very high or doesn't appear! Very Happy Very Happy

Hope to get back to Sestriere some time as had fun snowHead
snow report
Moderate snow in Sestriere currently. A welcome refresher as the snow has not been refreezing overnight (above about 1900m pistes in very good condition already though). If it carries on like this there should be a decent accumulation.
snow conditions
Coming down quite a bit in Sauze village. Can't report on the state of the piste as we've had to come back to bed as a result of last nights activities. Disgraceful Embarassed
ski holidays
A cracking day now - snow very thick and a good layer of powder both on and off piste. Having to stop to de-yeti ourselves. Fingers crossed it keeps going as tomorrow could be a classic!
snow conditions
Quite foggy yesterday... Skiing On instruments

Excellent conditions today... Went over to Sestriere but Sauze was holding much better IMO...

Tomorrow skiing over to France hopefully....

Top challenge so far has been to meet up with Gallabar Sad
snow report
😜
ski holidays
Best ever tree day! Up to my knees..,but I'm only little. Snowy on the outside, wet through on the inside. Has snowed all day.
snow report
@gallabar, told you to forget about vis wink
Trying to organise a beer / coffee for tomorrow night and/or after last run is the day....Im glad I don't this for a living because I have proved to be a failure so far Crying or Very sad
latest report
Sunny and windy today. Two fatalities in Cesana. Sad Crying or Very sad
latest report
Been on a bit of a road trip all week - and finished off in Sauze - long story will post more later.

But this link is about the avalanche
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=it&u=http://www.ilsussidiario.net/News/Cronaca/2015/3/27/SLAVINA-Cesana-Torinese-colpiti-alcuni-sciatori-di-fuori-pista-forse-ci-sono-vittime/594788/&prev=search
snow report
Had a good mate staying with his sons in Montgenevre so agreed to hook up with them and take them out for the day!

We drove up to San Sicario but once there found out all the links were closed so back in the van and went up to Sestrierre where it was very busy with Brits and English school kids, but hardly surprising as all the South side was closed due to strong winds again!

We soon lost all the hordes as I took them well away from the pistes down through the trees and then higher up for a long traverse before descending back down some lovely spring snow. We did around four laps with variations and the snow was transforming well, though wind at times was so cold and that was stopping other aspects from transforming.

His three sons, I think ages ranged from 10 to 18 were loving all the run outs and spring snow is so easy so ski, but all credit as they were all so gung ho!

Back to the van to let the dogs out and give the boys some lunch whilst me and my mate drove our two vans down a back road I know (from cycling) that comes into Sestriere from another direction, we left one van there and then came back up to regroup.

So one more of the morning's runs and then back up to do the last run, except the chair we needed was now closed.

Was a tad frustrating yesterday in that quite a few lifts were closed and it was not for reasons of wind, but have noticed this before in Via Lattea especially around holiday time and end of season!

So one more little adventure for them as we took the skis off and hiked a short distance to get to where I wanted to start the traverse into the valley that would lead down to the van.

And twas a success, with superb spring snow, all be it a little heavy towards the end.

Dad showing sons how to drop in

On the last run - with the youngest on my OH's skis and looking good in the front.

Top part of last run

And at the bottom
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just returned from Montgenevre. We had some snow on Easter Sunday and Monday but not much, and nothing for the rest of the week. Blue skies and sunshine, it's very warm there now (sitting in T-shirts outside at lunchtime). Still cold enough to put the cannons on at night, but gets very slushy by 2ish. Some runs are closed as they are bare. The Observatoire lift closed on Monday, although the runs from there were still in good condition which was a shame. Resort is very quiet though - ski instructor said it's uneconomical for them to run as still plenty of runs open and no crowds at all. Resort is due to close on 25th April.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy