Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Via Lattea snow 2014/15

Poster: A snowHead
It's settling on road outside app. Looking good, sunny on Friday. Be back in march.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Smokin Joe wrote:
@HeidiAmsterdam, just back from there.........heading back out 1 March.

I think we may be ships passing in the night. We leave March 1st. Consequently, my sister who will be with me that week is leaving on the Saturday night, meaning her room is available on the Saturday night if you can manage to come in on the Saturday.

It will be my first time in Orso Bianco (very psyched for this) and first time in the Milky Way. We are red/black/off piste skiers, so hoping we can amuse ourselves in Sauze in the trees and not feel compelled to go over to Sesitiere everyday.

Also, a bit of a hijack on the topic, but we are coming in on Friday, and I'm desperate to find a room for me and my two kids for Friday and Saturday night before we check in at Orso Bianco. Booking.com and the usual suspects aren't turning anything up. If anyone has a trick up their sleeves, let me know.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's a bit further down - though actually really easy to get up from - try chalet chez nous in jouvencaux. Great place if they have any rooms going, 5 mins to lift up to sportinia. We are out there tomorrow for a long weekend.

Last year there was heaps of snow and a Scandinavian couple we got pissed with a couple of times were going mad for the off piste in the trees.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just wishing for the smallest of things between now and Sunday. Please Piste Bashing Gods open a short stretch of Red99 Tris which cuts back from going down into Montgenevre from Clav and doubles back past the hotels, saves 10 minutes of uphill trudge back to the Grande Clav! Asking a genuine question though, if there was snow on that stretch what rules or etiquette prevents me from using it anyhow, I assume it would just be unprepared?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@HeidiAmsterdam, try ringing Dawn at Orso - she has lots of contacts who maybe able to sort you a bed for a couple of nights.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Smokin Joe, I did. She gave me a list, but bombed out. It looks like I got something now at La Terrazza. Pity we'll just miss each other though!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Could do with a top up.most runs open but pistes are mainly hard pack.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Is anyone out there in resort at the moment to give an update? Am heading out on the 8/02 so keen to know what sort of state sestriere is in!?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
At the bottom of the Clotes lift now. Very light snow nothing like the forecast.
Its been freezing all week which has made the snow rock hard with plenty of ice patches. I would say snow is needed although the rise in temperature has helped.
Having skied all over the world have to say this place is frustrating. So much potential but held back by an ancient and poorly planned lift system
Example very slow four packs and key links consist of crawling two man chairs, endless drags and even a high level magic carpet. Would hate to be here at a busy time.
The trip to France is a bit of a joke really good if you enjoy a bit of 80s retro but for skiers useless.
The lift pass is 200 euro with insurance and to be honest its a rip off. Just because other big resorts charge this doesn't mean you can if you haven't invested for years.
Pistes suffer from lack of snow management too.
All in all its a good resort but not really competitive against its modern rivals. Certainly wouldn't come again as it is now.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
5cm dropped on us in Clav during the day, varying amounts forecast overnight but it's looking good at this end of the Milky Way
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sause webcams do not suggest much there. Hope to see evidence of a lot more by the morning. Still pondering on new skis or the old uns for 8 feb.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Can you now ski to the bottom of Clotes down to the Stella Alpina?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Any updates on conditions ?

Also any advice about the connections for the area.

Staying in Montgenevre, if you use the lifts how long does it take to get to;

Sansicario
Sauze d' oulx
Sestriere

Verse how long does it take by bus or taxi, and how much does it cost??

Thanks.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
more than 45 cm scheduled to fall in the next few days...live reports would be good
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
very quiet on this thread.
ski holidays
Sestriere yesterday @bruisedskier,
http://youtube.com/v/E5TWrWkfG6M
ski holidays
Weather forecast now saying 71 cm of snow in Via Lattea for the next 4 days.

Anyone there? Any internet? Live pics please!!! Live at the scene reports please!

@bruisedskier, It's my first time in this area, so I'm afraid I can't answer your questions. From what I've read on other threads, from Montgenevre to Sauze will take 2 to 3 hours, largely because of some slow lifts you have to take.
snow conditions
@HeidiAmsterdam,

http://www.sauzeonline.com/sauze-doulx-webcam/

Hope that helps..........
latest report
@HeidiAmsterdam, also...........are you friends with Sauzeonline and Orso Bianco on Facebook ? They update videos, pics nearly daily.
latest report
@HeidiAmsterdam, where have you found the forecast saying 71cm?
snow report
@indy2014, I saw it on the Dutch website, but the you tube video above, they say the same. Forecasted snow is increasing Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

And thanks @Smokin Joe, will make friends with them on line. Still struggling with organizing transfers, we are 3, and then there is my sister party of 3, then friends of mine, also a party of 3, and looking at car hire, but those Italians are always dodgy when dealing with car hire. Don't quite trust it all.
ski holidays
Bergfex is say 13, 27, 21, 4 cms, for Claviere

Sauze d'Oulx is 16, 34, 26, 5.

Sestriere is 18, 38,29, 5
snow report
bruisedskier wrote:
Bergfex is say 13, 27, 21, 4 cms, for Claviere

Sauze d'Oulx is 16, 34, 26, 5.

Sestriere is 18, 38,29, 5

Liking those numbers!
ski holidays
just need two more for the rollover wink
ski holidays
@HeidiAmsterdam, just do a taxi it's €65 per person return.......
snow report
@Smokin Joe, probably you are right, but would rather spend my money on coffee and nice things in refugios.... and this is my 3rd ski trip this season, and looking for a 4th, even if it is just a few days. Just because I'm like that when it comes to skiing.
ski holidays
looks like we'll be sitting pretty with snow in a few weeks.

But what refugio's should I be sure to hit up? Like culinary tour on ski's.
ski holidays
@heidiamsterdam I've hired a car at Turin airport for the drive up to Sauze many times with no problems. For a weekend a small car costs about £60. I've used Avis and Hertz..You may want to buy a cheap set of snow chains as hiring is expensive. And arrange your own Cdw (collision damage waiver). insurance as this is cheap when pre arranged..though if I were going for a week the train is a cheap option tho you need a bus from airport to train station (plus 20 euro taxi from Oulx to Sauze). Enjoy your trip, well timed for the snow Cool
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@kfh51,

That is reassuring. Unfortunately, I have this stupid KLM flight that lands at 22:25, and public transport isn't an option, then 2 days later my sister and kids arrive on the same flight, plus another group from the neighborhood want to do some cross country skiing, so they need a car as well. But going to get the CDW elsewhere. Right now booking is with Budget. And it seems on the transfer, they are charging a premium because of the time of day....

Finally, I should have choose the RyanAir flight, as even with having to pay for ski carriage, I could have off set that with the bus/train option, or a regularly scheduled shuttle airport to resort...
snow report
BIG snow tomorrow according to Bergflex.

74cm in 48Hrs for Sestriere

Montgenevre only getting 50cm
latest report
Dump is a good word
snow conditions
In Sestriere now and it's snowed constantly since Tuesday and still snowing now. There has been at least a foot of fresh powder on top of each of the pistes every morning. If you go off piste the snow is very deep.

There must be at least a meter of snow in the last three days.

Loads of fresh snow and conditions great. Only problem today (not happened any other day) is that there aren't many lifts open, only a few of the ones lower down really. Not sure why, may be due to avalance risk or it may be due to the problems in having to keep the lifts clear from all the falling snow.

If your out next week you'll be in for some great snow!

I was in Sauze d'oulx and Sansacario (sp?) earlier in the week and conditions were good there too, they must have also benefited from all this recent snow!
latest report
Bianchigray wrote:
In Sestriere now and it's snowed constantly since Tuesday and still snowing now. There has been at least a foot of fresh powder on top of each of the pistes every morning. If you go off piste the snow is very deep.

There must be at least a meter of snow in the last three days.

Loads of fresh snow and conditions great. Only problem today (not happened any other day) is that there aren't many lifts open, only a few of the ones lower down really. Not sure why, may be due to avalance risk or it may be due to the problems in having to keep the lifts clear from all the falling snow.

If your out next week you'll be in for some great snow!

I was in Sauze d'oulx and Sansacario (sp?) earlier in the week and conditions were good there too, they must have also benefited from all this recent snow!

This is music to my ears... still 15 sleeps yet...

Weather forecast stays 46 cm yet to come..
ski holidays
Only 2 sleeps for me. The second one will only be until 4.30am. Flying out of Brum just after 7am and hope to be in S D'O about lunchtime. Are their any free lifts or is a pass necessary for a few hours Sunday afternoon.
Recent snow, and it looks like more has fallen today, has made my mind up. Old skis staying in Blighty. New ones are in the ski bag.
Very Happy
ski holidays
@Mark1863, As far as I'm aware there are no free lifts but an you can buy an afternoon pass.
latest report
Afternoon pass runs from 1pm and is €26
ski holidays
26eu. Great value.
ski holidays
Thanks. I found €50 around the house today so up and at it Sunday pm. Thanks for the info.
Snow reports to follow during the week.
Any advice on decent safe off piste areas anyone? I am a VL virgin.
Cheers
snow report
Big dumps last few days. By all reports looks mezzin..... This time next week, we'll be checked in and having a well deserved pizza!!
snow report
Very warm last few days. Based in Sauze. In Sestriere today. Conditions are good. Lots of on piste grippy snow. Off mainly tracked out but odd nice bit. Some powder but generally getting a little heavy. New skis so learning how to Ski with them. Basically nothing to complain about. Lower pistes hard in morning due to thaw and freeze.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy