Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jackson Hole- ski hire

Poster: A snowHead
Easy question, where's good to hire from in JH?
We're off there in Jan and need to hire skis only for 2 people, 10 days but all sites checked so far link back to the same page, looks like a monopoly?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Last I remember there are at least two or three ski shops at the base - Teton Village. They'll take care of you.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 30-11-14 4:12; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@RichardJones, where are you staying ? if Teton village better to hire there obviously, if town there are other places. Hoback sports in town do rentals IIRC

I know one of them at least does delivery to your accommodation, as spot one doing such last year.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sports Authority in Jackson town probably have cheapest type of packages as they are a national chain store. There will be other stores on the same strip into town.

There's always this place next to Kmart which sells good value secondhand kit if they want to dip toes into ownership.
http://headwallsports.com
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
RichardJones wrote:
all sites checked so far link back to the same page, looks like a monopoly?

I don't know what web pages you were looking at. Certainly plenty of shops to choose from when I was there. I'm sorry I didn't keep track of the names though.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@RichardJones, Teton Village is where the lifts are, I suspect only 2 shops there, vs Jackson Hole which has many more shops.....
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
In teton .. Pepi steiglers, and one at the bottom and one at the top of Bridger lift which are both I think Jackson sports.
Another two or three independent ones as well so plenty of choice. In Jackson itself there is also, by the kmart, a second hand ski shop called headwall sports which is well worth a visit.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It may be cheaper to buy a pair of last seasons model than rent for 10 days as it cost about $50 a day to rent. My buddy bought some unused last season Volkyl Kendos for less than hiring for 2 weeks.
+1 for Headwall next to KMart for second hand skis. You can give them away when you have finished with them.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It is expensive to hire there, from the 'monopoly' place (JH Sports?) but on the plus side, the quality is amazing, and I seem to remember you get a discount if you book ahead. We were there a couple of years ago and needed to hire skis and boots for the kids, and they both had brand new boots, and one had brand new top quality skis, straight out of the pack pretty much. You do get what you pay for at least.

Have an awesome time!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Fair point, I didn't mention where we're staying coz I dont mind jumping on a bus with skis, but it's the Wort Hotel, not far from the centre.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@RichardJones, Make sure you get a seat early at the Wort on chicken wings special night as they sell out quickly. Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
So the Wort is in town not at Teton Village so you have pretty much the pick of ski shops.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tis looking rather expensive! Sports Authority verdicts anyone?

Jackson hole sports, Hoback sports, Tetonvillage sports and a couple more I think I've forgotten all seem to be related, leading to the same page giving $316 each for the 10 days just skis, so $632 = £420 for two of us.
2nd hand makes a little sense but we try somewhere new each year and we've had powder, firm snow, hard ice, marbles, slush and green stuff so we like the freedom of hire.
Ski Buttlers come in at £770,, could be the dogs knees/ bees whatsits, but my pocket's not that deep.
Skibundle £604.
D2dskis £490

Sports authority look to be so much lower at $20/day each for an adult package and perhaps lower without boots?
£267 for the two of us is hard to ignore, though I'm a little sceptical, not much detail and being nationwide, perhaps not focused on what works at JH?

Anyone care to chip in comments?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's a ski resort not a different planet, skis work pretty much the same all over. Sports Authority have the same sort of rental makeup equipment as your average Intersport, plus they probably do an upgrade option to a " gold" type package if you know enough to know what you want. Because JH is a premium resort rentals at Teton Village will be flashy but pretty price insensitive (think Lech) . You can always rent a pow ski at the he mountain if you get a big day (just assuming you aren't big pow skiers if you don't have your own kit).

Does give me a good niche business idea - air bnb/uber for skis. Must be heaps of locals with a garage full of skis they'd be more than happy to get £100 plus a service a week for.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
$30+/day for skis only, that's rather steep!

Jackson Hole being an known "expert" resort, majority of punters come with their own kits. So there's limited market to cater to punters who "just what a pair of whatever skis". That may partially explain the high prices. Most hire shops typically keep hired stock for several years. They would mark up the current year stock as "premium", and the 2-3 year old stock as "basic". But if there's little low end traffic, shops might sell their demo skis and only keep relatively new skis in stock, charging a premium for them.

Quote:
Sports authority look to be so much lower at $20/day each for an adult package and perhaps lower without boots?
£267 for the two of us is hard to ignore, though I'm a little sceptical, not much detail and being nationwide, perhaps not focused on what works at JH?

Or perhaps they're the only one who bother to cater to people who don't own their own kit? Doesn't mean there's anything wrong with their skis. But I wouldn't be surprised they don't stock the exotic high end skis many Jackson Hole visitors wish to demo.

If you just want a pair of ok skis to slide around, I doubt it would make much difference.
snow conditions
We've previously hired mainly for flexibility, no 2 ski trips the same:
Hard ice in Tremblant, had to change skis on day two to hold an edge.
Powder in Breck, switched to wider skis 2nd half of holiday for off-piste after big snow dump.
Slush and ice (freeze/thaw) in Val d'isere, late season last year, played on fast rather than nimble skis.
Excellent piste conditions in Sauze, Chamonix & Lake Louise.
Hard pack in Whistler (twice)
Deep & soft in Val Thorens.
Hire in Europe is perhaps more the norm, you usually see more boot than ski bags at the airport and hire is low cost, some mates just booked for January, paying £40 for a week.
I'll keep searching, the idea of 2nd hand in JH may be a solution.
ski holidays
@RichardJones, you need to recalibrate your expectations. Ski hire in Jackson is much more expensive than in Europe.

Last time we were there we used Hoback Sports who were the cheapest for what we needed: expert skis for our aggressive teenagers. Although the price was high, we were actively encouraged to change skis whenever conditions changed (eg fresh snowfall) or if we planned to ski different terrain. They gave us a huge amount of advice on what skis to take each day based on conditions on the hill, and were happy to service skis whenever we wanted.

On the other hand, after 10 days the rental cost was nearly 50% of the purchase price of the same skis in the store, partly because there was a sale on at the time.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy