Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What to learn next for an intermediate?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Morning folks,

We're off to the slopes in a week or so, and with the current low snowfall, I'm thinking this might be a great time to spend a week really trying to learn some new skills and tricks as there is likely to be less exploring the mountain and off piste stuff to do. If you can have a good skills session in a fridge on 100 yards of slope, then it should be really productive on a mountain, and will make me feel as though I'm not losing anything due to no fresh snow.

So after the last trip a couple of years ago:

Confident going forward on reds, confident switch on blues.
I can cope with turning on blacks forward and on reds switch.
My carving needs a bit of extra commitment and cleaning up, switch carving isn't really there yet.
Can pop a 180 on flat piste, but pretty inelegant.
Happy forward through powder, and okay switch too.

So my plan is to work on the carving, trying to get some real drive off that edge. I also want to play more with pops, ollies and nollies to get the skill and timing right to be able to start to get a bit of air on the flat and off small bumps and lips. And probably combine that with some nose and tail press attempts to link things together a bit.

So can anyone suggest either good strategies or exercises for learning the above, or else other good things to practice. I'd like to do more than just cruise down the pistes, so any ideas are good.

And yes, in the general build up to a holiday, I have been looking at Snowboard Addiction and a few others for their videos too, just asking for any personal thoughts or ideas that helped you crack new skills?

Cheers, Jess.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
id say try and master switch on as much terrain as you can, tell yourself you will only ride siwtch for an entire day. I found it makes learning other things easier.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yep, will be doing plenty of switch. I often do a piste top to bottom switch. I probably won't spend a whole day switch, because I think there is lots to learn in different ways of getting from forwards to switch and back again... Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Maverix and the like do flatlands day courses in the fridges, that could be something to look at if you like that side of it? One of those before your hols could give you something to work at and practice whilst you're away?

Edit: just read your post properly and you're going away too soon. Ooops sorry!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have to say, I've been having similar thoughts and switch is stop of my agenda as I just don't practice it enough (and the wife whips my ass with it!)

Also, 180's as (go the vanity) they do look pretty cool if you execute them well.....well they do an a green to all the beginners Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
What about learning to ski? Toofy Grin

(Sorry. Couldn't resist)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nose and tail rolls, front and back. Once you get all 8 down all kinds of flatland coolness will open up. And you'll be my hero. Search for Ryan Knapton on YouTube.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I won't say I fall asleep dreaming of Ryan Knapton... Shocked more I fall asleep dreaming I could ride like that!

Yep, I think 8 different types of roll, plus maybe trying to roll through 90 degrees and ollie/nollie out will give me a fair amount to try!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy