Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

French ski resorts shut their doors

Poster: A snowHead
Montgenvre, Alpe d'Huez, la Clusaz, Bessans and Courchevel suffer from lack of snow after early opening last weekend.
Val Thorens and Val d'Isere closed by high winds.
Val d'Isere and Courchevel worried by lack of snow.

Serre Chevalier have opened runs in Monetier.
Tignes is open but the village (val claret, no snow at le Lac) runs are brown but conditions look ok elsewhere with even a few cm of fresh on upper slopes.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 29-11-14 11:47; edited 3 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
and most haven't even opened them yet....
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sounds like you like Daily Mail headlines Very Happy

Val D did officially open this morning, although most of the skiing is currently up the Glacier and in fairness, the lifts do sometimes close due to winds, nothing new there.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
And Monetier is not usually open for another two weeks.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
trainee snowboard jedi wrote:

Val D did officially open this morning, although most of the skiing is currently up the Glacier and in fairness, the lifts do sometimes close due to winds, nothing new there.

Val d'Isere, samedi 29 Novembre: infos neige 0% des pistes ouvertes

far too many idiots have joined this forum recently.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 29-11-14 11:52; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
weather forecast for the next seven days is still warm, so only the higher slopes will keep snow. The weather does feel six weeks late this year.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@chrisb, the summer was at least 6 weeks late in the Alps, so that is probably not surprising.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@davidof, I agree with your post about lack of snow everywhere, but what has that got to do with your title of this thread. I thought I was going to read something about the resorts and how they will only allow pre booked ski pass holders go on the mountain during high season periods if we do not get more snow. They have done this before. But all I have read is about snow conditions and the weather?

'French ski resorts shut their doors'. Please can you expand on what you ment. Puzzled
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I would suggest that as val d isere and val thorens are both French resorts and that they are closed due to high winds and that to be closed they will shut their lift doors... the threads title means exactly what it says. Your imagination can run wild at the title, ... but in essence it means what it says ..
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@limegreen1, Then the title should say. Closed their lifts Toofy Grin . Hey, it is fun when you cannot go skiing so I have loads of time to waste on here Very Happy

Oh, and do not be surprised if what I predict about the ski pass holders does not come true. It was not that many seasons ago when they did this and stopped tour companies from bussing people in from other resorts to higher ones due to lack of snow. It would have ment to many people on the mountain. A safety issue, nothing to do with the Lift companies if I remember correctly.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sat 29-11-14 12:19; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You say the title should say "closed" the lifts instead of "shut" .. Do you close lifts ? Or do you shut them down ...

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sun 30-11-14 10:34; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@limegreen1, Do not understand what you mean Puzzled
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Hells Bells, still have not had any frost on the car in Newcastle yet either, and my daily trip to Bishop has had an October foggy feel. I blame myself for putting the winter tyres on the car Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nor do I !! Anyways I'm off out for a ski ...... Oh , .... no I'm not as its windy out and they've shut/ closed/ turned off the lifts/resort although I'm not in val d isere or val thorens Puzzled

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sat 29-11-14 13:32; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

do not be surprised if what I predict about the ski pass holders does not come true

no, I won't be surprised if that does not come true. wink Not in the least.
ski holidays
limegreen1 wrote:
Do you close lifts ? Or do you shut them down ...

I didn't know ski lifts have doors, per the thread title...
ski holidays
@davidof, are you wondering why you bothered? rolling eyes
snow report
gondolas have doors
snow report
pam w wrote:
@davidof, are you wondering why you bothered? rolling eyes

An obvious attempt to sell more of his records...

http://youtube.com/v/W9Hrygq7prI
ski holidays
@ALQ, Laughing Laughing

@davidof, My sympathies

@everyone else except pam w, Good grief. rolling eyes
ski holidays
I got a lift from the bottom end of val thorens to the top , but that was a "lift" in a car ...... The car had doors
snow report
I've been keeping an eye on the Dollies for obvious reasons ( out there early Jan). The wind is in the South and stuck there, the minute that it spins East or NE, all will be well. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
davidof wrote:

Val d'Isere, samedi 29 Novembre: infos neige 0% des pistes ouvertes

far too many idiots have joined this forum recently.

Touchy

On the positive side there is 30cm at 2500m (60cm in Tignes) and depending on what forecast you believe, it is due to snow next week (let's hope). My point is that the lifts can often close due to wind, so it's a non story.

Anyway, I guess my response is based on the barrage of negative threads (and was tongue in cheek hence the smiley, so no need to be abusive) that seem to be springing up - why don't we focus on positive stories, rather then negative. eg Onnem posting his pictures from Valtournenche, Aosta valley yesterday - looks like there's snow there, let's all jump on a plane Smile

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 30-11-14 9:11; edited 1 time in total
snow report
why don't we focus on positive stories, rather then negative.

Because we are British, not ***** Californians.
snow conditions
2Alpes opened yesterday but was frankly rather pants, unfortunately. Skiable (more or less) down to 2600 but the snow has deteriorated to the extent that it's hard in the morning and sugary later on. Temperature was 6°C by early afternoon, which isn't helping, conditions overcast and flat light.

Still, this means I have more time to do useful stuff like get on with selling the car. BMW X5 anyone?
ski holidays
Quote:

why don't we focus on positive stories, rather then negative

I don't want either "positive" or "negative" stories. Sensible ones which tell it like it is are much more helpful - as in @Lizzard's post above.
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I don't want either "positive" or "negative" stories. Sensible ones which tell it like it is are much more helpful - as in @Lizzard's post above.

I'll 2nd that, but I guess I see hers as a positive story as it demonstrates at least some skiing is possible even in challenging conditions

But that's just perspectve, you are right in what you say.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

But the title of the thread was a bit misleading, about resorts shutting their doors when most aren't even scheduled to open anyway.

That's a rather negative spin on a neutral story. Not exactly "tell it like it is", is it?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
1400m of vertical in Tignes this morning and only very short queues. Very Happy
ski holidays
chocksaway wrote:
1400m of vertical in Tignes this morning and only very short queues. Very Happy

Now that's the kind of positive / sensible / tell it like it is story I like! Keep 'um coming.....

.....not sure it belongs in this thread though Smile

Edited to add, there were lessons going on in Val D today.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=82612&start=2320
ski holidays
Quote:

Keep 'um coming.....

Everyday on the Tignes snow report thread. I tell it like it is - which may not please those trying to sell something but I do get lots of personal positive feedback.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy