Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Home schooling the kids for a season - anyone done it?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I was on a course this week and chatting to someone that is taking his kids out of their UK school and 'home schooling' them in the Alps where he is going to do a season (he & his wife won't need to work). Their kids are 6 & 9, mine would be 4 & 6 when we did it.

This sounds like an amazing idea and something I'd love to do. Looking at term dates, you could probably get away with them only really missing 1 term (ok that would mean missing the final week of the season buy hey ho)

Too late for me this season, but I am very keen to do this next season and when I mentioned it to the wife, she didn't knock the idea.

Has anyone on here done this? Any pointers / any gottchas they can share?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've met a few home schooled kids and families - weirdos the lot.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@trainee snowboard jedi, at 4 and 6 they'd be well placed to take advantage of the opportunity to learn some French/German/Italian and could integrate into a local nursery/school a lot easier than older kids. It would be much better for them and you'd actually get a bit more chance to be out on the slopes.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w wrote:
@trainee snowboard jedi, at 4 and 6 they'd be well placed to take advantage of the opportunity to learn some French/German/Italian and could integrate into a local nursery/school a lot easier than older kids. It would be much better for them and you'd actually get a bit more chance to be out on the slopes.

Sounds like a good idea but I wonder how possible it is (it would be school rather than nursery) to 'dip in' to a foreign educational system for 1 term or even how you go about finding this stuff out (My French is bar / restaurant French, and my French / German non existent)

Like the concept of this though. France would probably work best as they are already learning French at their UK school.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@trainee snowboard jedi, as part of the preparation for your "season" you obviously need to put a lot of effort into improving your French wink Compulsory "school" doesn't start till 6, I think - "ecole maternelle" before then, which would be ideal for them if you could get them in. You have an apartment, don't you? No problem starting to make enquiries locally and there's a lot of knowledge on Snowheads, including people who have, or have had, kids in local institutions. Loads of info on the internet too.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yep, lots to think about / research, but sounds viable
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@trainee snowboard jedi, my neighbour in Les Arcs put his daughter in to the local primary school from Christmas to Easter for 3 successive years, starting from age 7. He had the support of her school back in the UK (in Jersey) who kept her place open despite missing a whole term each year, and she was welcomed by the local school in Les Arcs (she wasn't the only expat child who attended). At the end of the experience she was fluent in French, and being a very bright young thing is doing extremely well in her secondary school.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd stick them straight into the local school. Part of the learning for kids when living abroad is meeting and communicating with other children and adults. Home schooling and not working sounds too insular for me.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I know at least one family of young kids who happily did a couple of winters in France, no problem.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@trainee snowboard jedi, where is your apartment? My friends did this in Les Arcs for a number of years and I know two families that are doing this at the moment. Go for it the kids will have a great time.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowcrazy wrote:
@trainee snowboard jedi, where is your apartment? My friends did this in Les Arcs for a number of years and I know two families that are doing this at the moment. Go for it the kids will have a great time.

We don't have an apartment, although we are looking. So options would be:-

a. We'd have already bought somewhere and live in our place - this seems unlikely as it's a major decision for us and we want to take our time and get it right.

b. Rent somewhere for the season (Ideally in the town we'd want to buy in to really try it out) - most likely

Or defer another year and go back to a. OR do a. next season and b. the season after Smile
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@trainee snowboard jedi, Come to Bourg. Your kids will enjoy it. There are a number of English families already doing similar to you although many do work and the skiing/snowboarding is great. You have the Les Arcs Funi right near town and loads of other big ski areas nearby. If you do decide to check it out post on my facebook page as I am sure many of the local expats with school age kids would give you great advice.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
trainee snowboard jedi, I'm just following the thread really as we have been thinking about this. I like the idea of finding a place where other families are doing it, then maybe they'd have a little bit of company. Even if it were in different classes. I grew up travelling around and I went to one or two schools for short periods and I'm fine (my psychologist tells me).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy