Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow anxiety postings seem to be auto-generated

Poster: A snowHead
You probably know the kind of postings. Dozens per year.

Actually there's 2 types. Both would not be too hard to be auto-generated with a little computer program.

Type 1
I've booked in [fill any low altitude resort in Austria] for [any period except january and february] - but there's no snow. Please assure me everything is going to be allright and provide alternatives in case it is really hopeless

Type 2
I've booked in [fill any low altitude resort in Austria] for [mid december] and I'm leaving in 6 weeks time- but there's no snow. Please assure me everything is going to be allright and provide alternatives in case it is really hopeless

Any other forum visitors getting suspicious? Looks like there's a bot on this forum trying to generate traffic!

Can't imagine people do not learn from experience.
-After a skiing holiday with bad snow, you get more conscious I would suppose
-And even first-timers would search a bit to see what are the chances they can ski, in their skiing holiday

Lack of information can't be the problem, there's lots of good website including this one.

I just don't get it - why is it so hard to learn, or are people just stubborn?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
By the way, I chose the example of Austria because most of this type of postings are about Austrian resorts. But the principle goes for any resort.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Onnem wrote:

Can't imagine people do not learn from experience.

Some people are not the full schilling.

People get sucked in by cheap deals, either in posh resort in a cow shed , or very early season.

Glad I have not booked for next week, but then I would not book so early till last minute.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I haven't posted a panic, but this is the first year that I am attempting a sneaky break (13dec ->) and while I haven't booked it yet, I was hoping to do so next Saturday..... But I'm still searching for a site that will show number of runs open per resort.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

But I'm still searching for a site that will show number of runs open per resort.

In my area (which is the Espace Diamant) this information is available daily on the website - until actual opening time each morning you get "provisionally open". And probably exactly the same for most ski areas. So you need to look at the sites for the specific area you are interested in. But many areas (including Espace Diamant) wouldn't be open at the moment however much snow there was. The majority of French resorts will be scheduled to open the Saturday before Christmas.

Elsewhere on Snowheads there are enthusiastic reports about snow in Saas Fee.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hey ho you take a risk when you book anything but like many others I have checked the webcams for Sestriere this morning Laughing
Only 14 sleeps to go rolling eyes Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Linds, Sestriere will get done this week then much colder after that.....my bunions are aching !
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@jamescollings, this info is on a number of different sites for most resorts. You can't be looking very hard!

Either look on the resort's own website or on one of many different "snow conditions" sites.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Onnem,

Type I answer: Cancel your ski holidays - that is more healthy for you.

Type II answer: Cancel your ski holidays - you took a risk when you booked mid december. (but snow might stil come Shocked )

Puzzled
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Any other forum visitors getting suspicious? Looks like there's a bot on this forum trying to generate traffic!

I get suspicious of all these posts that say:

- Don't worry, it's only November*. (* Fill in the current month)

or

- Why are you you whinging / complaining/ posting / etc.

Or maybe it's just that people like to share what's on their mind. Isn't that what a forum is for?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@olderscot

Yes I think the forum is ALSO meant for this.
But then my suggestion would be to have 1 mega-thread to concentrate this type of question, and not clutter the whole forum with dozens of identical questions.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
wll i think its normal...the weather is unpredictible. However many people attracted from low prices. And low prices usually goes with high risk resorts for the first days of the season.

honestly i dont know whats better.
during the first days of Dec until 15-20 you have 2 options in Austria
either a hight alt resort (glacier, ischgl etc) with many open slopes but usually full
low alt resort with a few slopes open, usually artificial snow almost entirely empty

i choose the second
according to my experience is better in a few slopes with less people from many slope with little better snow but full of people....

of course you have always the possibility of NO snow at all...but i am with car and could go to a glacier.

greetings
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

according to my experience is better in a few slopes with less people from many slope with little better snow but full of people....

+1
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
while the worry about snow is of course something that people will worry about, I don't see how the questions are any more annoying than other repeated posts on just as banal a subject, after all it is a forum where it is interesting to just read some of the replies, no snow is the pits, but asking about a resort weeks in advance is a pain, perhaps they want someone to say that generally at x time of year the snow is acceptable. Or be told that resort is known not to have snow at that time, so they can actually change plans. It is no less boring than the threads about other stuff. Nobody knows how the weather will turn in two weeks let alone six so in general its just another stupid question. Is it any worse than asking what resort I should go to because I skied in livigno once and liked it. Or will skiing in a snow dome make me a better skier when I get to the slopes.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
at least the posts are about skiing instead of the boringly irrelevant scgb, simon butler, and interminable basi threads,
ski holidays
Well I have snow anxiety. I'll not post about it now I've read this.

Apart from this obviously.

*waves at Linds as we appear to be watching the same webcams for the same date.
snow report
stevomcd wrote:
@jamescollings, this info is on a number of different sites for most resorts. You can't be looking very hard!

Either look on the resort's own website or on one of many different "snow conditions" sites.

I think it is a case of information overload? Many of the sites (igluski etc) are really messy and difficult to get the meaningful information out... If I already knew which resorts were viable, I could check out their local websites... But because this is 'new territory' for me... I'm just overwhelmed by the choices.
latest report
@jamescollings, try the Bergfex site, all the resorts you want under one banner and not driven by tour operators or tourist office guff! http://www.bergfex.com/

Drop down menu 1 gives you the countries then you find the resort you want! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Quote:

tourist office guff

a lot of the most useful information on resort websites is factual - how many pistes and lifts are open, what accommodation is available at what price, contact information for taxis, buses etc. It's pretty easy to set aside the guff. And what possible source of knowledge about open pistes could Bergfex have, other than resorts themselves?
snow report
@pam w, Probably a good selection of local impartial sources much like you can find here for example. The weather forecasts from TOs are often pimped to sound better than they actually are.
snow report
well i dont really know for other countries. The best soure for Austria is Alpinforum + Bergfex + web camers
Sometimes Tourist of. are super optimistic.. Alpiforum is like snowheads. But mostly for Austria (tha majority come from Germany or Austria and consequently the visit Austria often)
When tourist office says 80 cm , Bergfex says 80 cm but a report from Alpinforum member who visit it yesterday , says not more than 20cm, then....i believe the last one.
Furthermore the tourist office will NEVER said : ok, we have 60 cm but there are many rocks, grass, ice etc etc.
For them 60cm is very good conditions. But for me an icy slope, with small rocks all over etc is a nightmare...

Unfortunately our passion depends on weather...this is what it makes so thrilling and some times so horrifying

P.S. sorry for some Englisch language mistakes
latest report
@Samerberg Sue. Thanks, that's exactly the format that I've been looking for.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy