Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to get kids ski boots fitted (South / Midlands)

Poster: A snowHead
It think it's going to be more economical to buy the kids ski gear this season rather than hire stuff but want to get it right. I worry that buying boots off the shelf at Decathlon could be a disaster. Had a look at Ellis Brigham MK last week but they seem very limited on their kids range.

Kids are 3 and 5 and the 3 year old is only kids size 8 which in itself seems to be an issue.

Any pointers please?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@trainee snowboard jedi, FWIW I've taken kids of all ages from 2 to 12 into hire shops on several occasions, they've generally been happy with the first boots they've been given. If you're in resort for many weeks you can get some very good deals on kids gear. I think it's one of those issues over which it's possible to faff far too much.

Having several pairs of good gloves/mitts that you can actually get on a 3 year old easily, but which don't fall straight off, has been much more of a mission for me.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@trainee snowboard jedi, don't worry too much at this age about 'fitted'. For this age definitely look at the Roces adjustable boots and the Full Tilt Growth Spurt boots.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the replies - agree on the warm stuff (and keeping it on a 3 year old), we generally buy good quality stuff that is unisex so it can get handed down.

We want to buy as we have 5 weeks booked with another 2 to book across different resorts and even if you go for the cheapest hire stuff, it looks like it will work out more expensive especially when you factor in selling the gear on eBay once they've grown out of it.

I've just googled Roces adjustable boots and the Full Tilt Growth Spurt boots and the first 3 pages are non UK suppliers. I like the concept, any idea who the UK sells them?

Cheers
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Try here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251678011637
Or we have a pair in red in the small size which starts from 8 which are sitting in our garage and are for sale if you PM me.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 29-11-14 8:53; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@trainee snowboard jedi, i don't think kids' boots need to be "fitted".
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Check out Lockwoods in Lemington, you would need to book an appointment and make sure they carry the sizes you might need.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Intersport rent a whole kit for €43 for the week. S&R cheapest kiddiest boots cost £65. ...

Some might suggest 3 is a bit young anyway. And will only be shuffling around. E.g. On these http://www.littleskiers.co.uk/toddlers-first-week-skiing-set-up-to-4-years-save-15/p699

Note Salomon T1 starter boot only goes down to 15.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This US website will ship overseas (their pricing seems good , even the shipping costs, and a friend has used them for helmets and was happy) and they stock the Roces

http://www.levelninesports.com/

This (very) West London shop who has been mentioned in other threads as a good one stock the Full Tilts

http://www.skibartlett.com/junior-recreational-boots-514-c.asp
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@trainee snowboard jedi, there's another adjustable boot too called Roxa Chameleon if you can find those. I think Bartletts stock Full Tilts Growth Spurts.

My son had his own boots from 3, we bought them in an end of season sale very cheaply and he wore them for two seasons. They don't have to be an exact fit at that stage. We sold them on for probably what we paid for them. You can't really go wrong with little ones with Salomon T1s then T2s then T3s etc. Though if I had known about the adjustable ones at the time I might well have gone down that route.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I would head to Bartlett, they have shelves of kids boots which are available secondhand from kids who have grown out of them before they got used much. They also have all the tools to measure up and fit properly.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We've got the small pair of Roces adjustable boots which we no longer need which are for sale if you PM me.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for the information - very helpful

Bartletts looks perfect and not too far away from us. although there's a massive price difference between his Full Tilt Growth Spurts (£110) and the Roces on eBay (£50 inc P&P) - does anyone know if there is a quality difference?

Bartlett also stocks ones with pink on which my daughter will like Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@trainee snowboard jedi, quality/price important.

My first boots were rubber wellies secured to my skis with spikes thru my feet. Everything else has been an improvement.

Kids that age don't care if they're having fun,
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
under a new name wrote:

My first boots were rubber wellies secured to my skis with spikes thru my feet.

That must have been rather painful! Shocked

under a new name wrote:
Everything else has been an improvement.

I imagine it would be....
Toofy Grin
snow report
@Alastair Pink,

snowHead yes, yes, and a bit ensanguinated as well.
snow report
@trainee snowboard jedi, £50 is a good price on the Roces, normally quite a bit more expensive. Don't imagine there's much difference between the two brands. Roces were the original I think, brought the concept over to ski boots from skates.
snow conditions
My kids both started out on smallest Roces and we found they were excellent. My son tried the medium sized pair, but by then he was getting pretty good and they were too soft. They've been used by a few friends kids as well with no complaints.

The sizing does come up a little large; my son went straight from the limit of the small ones (?18.5?) to some Lange kids boots in a 20.5.

If you're skiing 5+ weeks in the season, I can't see much point in having boots perfectly fitted at the start, as the kids feet are unlikely to be the same size at the end!
ski holidays
@trainee snowboard jedi, £50 is a good price on the Roces, normally quite a bit more expensive. Don't imagine there's much difference between the two brands. Roces were the original I think, brought the concept over to ski boots from skates.
snow conditions
Thanks again for all the information, the Mrs wasn't keen on buying a set of boots online (I acknowledge that Roces are Roces but there you are) and she was keen on giving the kids their first ski 'fitting' experience which I get.

So we went to Ski Bartlett this afternoon. I hadn't realised that their daughter runs Sputnik in Marlow where we regularly go and buy our gear (in fact I bought a pair of goggles there this morning)

Anyway, we now have 2 pairs of skis / bindings / boots and 2 happy kids. Mix of 2nd hand and new kit which we can trade in with them as / when they grow out of it. Cost less than the hire that gear across the season for sure.
snow report
@trainee snowboard jedi, well done, Bartletts are fab, I wish I lived nearer.
ski holidays
@trainee snowboard jedi, good luck with those. Am thinking about getting some adjustable boots as well for our two thus had done a bit of research but am finding hard to get any user reviews of the Full Tilt Growth Spurts. Would you be kind enough to let us know how you get on with them? Thanks
ski holidays
@trainee snowboard jedi, great result. You told them we sent you, right? Luckily I work 10 mins down the road, so the odd lunch break emergency purchase happens every now and again.
snow conditions
Quote:

Anyway, we now have 2 pairs of skis / bindings / boots and 2 happy kids. Mix of 2nd hand and new kit which we can trade in with them as / when they grow out of it. Cost less than the hire that gear across the season for sure.

Saw the thread and was going to chip I recommending Ski Bartlett but others got there first. I like the shop anyway but its brilliant for kids. We bought all the gear for our two last April. Mostly second hand but good stuff and the care they took fitting them was very reassuring. The kids only used their new stuff last Easter but were very pleased with it.
snow conditions
Also worth noting they are good for adults on a budget too - I have a couple of friends who have very successfully found secondhand boots in very good condition there which they have helped with fitting.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy