Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SkiWelt snow condtions 17th Dec 2014 possably a very bad idea

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all
heeding to Soll in the SkiWelt, on the 17th Dec for the weekend first run of the season, thinking that I could have been a bad idea, with lack of snow, or possibly poor base, we always knew that going in mid December was risky, but might have to make a change of plans, or else pray for a bunch of Dump days Smile

Any high altitude/glacier ski areas near Munich, and on a train line??

I'm thinking Zell Am Zee, but that's a very long spin on a train from Munich! Any suggestions welcome, prayers or superstitions for snow also welcome Smile

the snow-globe in me is seeing car rental and driving to somewhere high and powder hounding might be a option, but never done that before, any one else do that?

thanks for reading the incoherent ramblings Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We are fling into Munich on Stephens day and wstay not that far from Ski Welt. Still keeping everything crossed for a major dump to come our way, our plan B will be to head to kaprun/kitzsteinhorn, no ideal but hey ho.

If you do pick up hire car the drive isn't too bad if you are not doing it mid term and only consolation of poor snow conditions is that the locals will probably stay at home.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@jackcards, if you are hiring a car, Hintertux is closer to Söll than Kaprun/Kitzsteinhorn. I drive past Wörgl to get to the Zillertal, so easier for you to pay for the 10-day vignette (8.50 euro) and drive the 20 minutes to Weising and go up the Zillertal.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I too will be in Ski Welt 19th Dec and yes am a little concerned.
BUT: have been there for years and years and always managed to ski.
Yes the snow hasnt been great for a couple of years but the organisation in the area is first class.
What i mean is they are able to make the most of a bad situation very well with their piste bashers and snow cannons. And it looks to be a colder from 12th onwards so the canons will be blasting.
Fingers crossed eh...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks all, ye have managed to cheer me up abit Happy agreed @astribo, it was a toss up between GAP and soll, soll for the organisation and the possibly of major millage, there is nothing like skiing from westendorf over to kitz and back in a day Happy and the set up just spot on in skiwelt, @sue I was thinking hintertux, but accommodation could be a pain it could be jammers. @astribo we might have to call over for a ski if you are in the skiwelt all going well Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The way I see it is : last two years shocking snow therefore we are due a good one!
Seeing my daughter in schishule wet from rain made me so sad.
It will happen: believe!!

Ps never done the run to kitzbuhel- do you need an extra pass or ski welt pass gets you there? And can you get back to base station (ellmau) in a day?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@astribo, you can go all the way down to the road for the bus to link to the Kitz station, but you need a different pass to actually then use that lift. It's not a lot extra. Probably only worthwhile from Ellmau if you can get out very early and ski fast as you won't get much opportunity to cover much of the Kitzbuhel area otherwise.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dozens of this kind of postings per year.

I would not be too hard to have these postings auto-generated with a little computer program. It goes like:
I've booked in [fill any low altitude resort in Austria] for [any period except january and february] - but there's no snow. Please assure me everything is going to be allright and provide alternatives in case it is really hopeless.

In addition to this you have the annual november-postings from people getting anxious the mountain is still green and they have booked for mid december.

@Jackcards - I suppose you cannot change your booking? If not, then rent a car and go to Hintertux. This is quite a trek (it's a long valley) but the skiing is miles ahead of Kaprun.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Next week it is getting mucch colder so the ski areas will have their snow making systems going 24/7.

I just used Innsbruck as a reference at elevation it will be much colder.

https://www.meteoblue.com/en/austria/weather-innsbruck/14-days

snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ jackcards : maybe its not the best answer to you fears, but i will go there at 6 Dec...worser than you.... Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@astribo just as hammerite said, you can get the ski buss across, but its a busy day to make it over and back, the legs will know it, so its a good last day run Smile I done it last year, but I was late back, it could be advisable to bring a head torch Smile it was late late when I made it back in to westendorf, and they are pretty punctual with the lifts, the lift to make it back to Westendorf closed, just on 1630 or even earlier. But its a great run to do, getting all the mileage in.

Thanks @Onnem, I was thinking about Hintertux, been to kaprun and it's just a Bowl, everybody funnels in to one place no fun Sad

@turms http://www.skiwelt.at/en/webcams.html not looking good, but I think the weather is finally changing, and no change on date of opening yet! you could be lucky on the 6th, weather is just changing snow forecast Smile
http://www.snow-forecast.com/maps/dynamic/east-alps
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@jackcards ... definitely NOT good... in my card is unfortunately only Kaprun... i will head there for a couple of hours... Sad Sad
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
According to the SkiWelt website (skiwelt.at) they have pushed back the opening date to 11th December ("although if weather conditions permit an earlier opening we will let you know"). So far this statement is only on the German language version of the website, the English version still shows the season opening date as the 6th.

HOWEVER, the local and Bergfex forecasts show the weather turning colder from tomorrow and the area is extensively snow cannoned. Add to that the terrain which is not rocky and (according to several locals) doesn't need more than about 20cm to be skiable, they should be fairly confident that they'll meet their new date. (I know not much consolation for you @turms,). Pistes may be narrow and some connections closed, but there will be something to ski on!

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 2-12-14 9:17; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thanks skiinghamster...
well, i will go for 6-10 Dec somewhere near kaprun and return 10 till 14 Dec to Kitzbühel - SkiWelt with the hope to find something better than the first days....if not, then i will take my season pass to spread butter on my bread for breakfast...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
its snowing wohoooo Smile http://www.skiwelt.at/en/webcams.html
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy