Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Inner boot geek chat

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Been raiding my far too extensive cupboard of snowsports boots to assess options.

My Head liners on my alpine boots are on the way out. Looking at other boots in my quiver I've tried an

A) Garmont G1/Shaman liner,

B)K2 Snowboard Intuition

C) Garmont G fit liner (ex tele boot)

D) Unknown lace up tourer liner says made in Hungary, exoplastic round the cuff, yellow tape at bottom of cuff. Has Vibram sole (not lugged but vibram marked outsole) Was in a pair of Nordica old gen touring boots (TR12) I picked up for nuffink more or less in Chamonix but don't think they are Nordica. Dachstein? Dynafit old?

Winners so far on fit are the C the G fit closely followed by the D) Unknown.

A) A bit sloppy
B) distorts the shell cuff a bit then quite short in the cuff

Concerned a bit about lack of stiffness in the standalone G Fit in actual use and how warm they'll actually be in alpine use . Priorities in order are

1 Usable all day, heavy rotation fit (don't want any more holes in my toes developing)
2 Warmth (don't want frostbite in big toe tips reactivating)
3 Performance

Thoughts?
Booster strap of some kind round the G Fit?
Anyone who can identify D and has an opinion on it. Look lightly used so that's why I think they might be an aftermarket swap.

Or should I just MTFU and suffer breakin on a Zipfit? If so which is best like for like on a Head SH3/ Garmont G Fit?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 28-11-14 12:04; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Dave of the Marmottes, break in on a zipfit depends very much on the model of zipfit and the volume available in the boot shell

neither of those other liners is close to it in terms of fit, the G fit liner will be warmer than the SH3 but thqat is where the similarity ends
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Dave of the Marmottes, I have a set up Zipfits (now in some touring boots). Def worth the break in period. You feel glued to the ski ! Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Zipfits. Mine were pain free from the off.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Pfft. Glued to the ski?

Get yourself some of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Speedo-Unisex-Latex-Socks/dp/B001ISKFP8?tag=amz07b-21
And then some of this: http://www.screwfix.com/c/sealants-adhesives/expanding-foams/cat850108

Then you can start talking about how your liners make you feel glued to the ski.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:

D) Unknown lace up tourer liner says made in Hungary, exoplastic round the cuff, yellow tape at bottom of cuff. Was in a pair of Nordica old gen touring boots (TR12) I picked up for nuffink more or less in Chamonix but don't think they are Nordica. Dachstein? Dynafit old?

My current Nordica race boots were made in Hungary, the liners might be original. I probably have an old catalog with pictures of the TR12 at home.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Serriadh, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
CEM wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, break in on a zipfit depends very much on the model of zipfit and the volume available in the boot shell

neither of those other liners is close to it in terms of fit, the G fit liner will be warmer than the SH3 but thqat is where the similarity ends

Thanks Col. You sixth toe punched my shells on a Vector Ltd and and little bit of heel pocket work but I don't remember you doing anything on the liner. If I can't make it up to Bicester before I go away I might be looking at buying a Zipfit in resort then - was very happy with the SH3 liner in terms of overall comfort, could have been a little warmer around the toes but they've got over 100 days on them. I guess I'm looking at the Zipfit 2 or 3 down in the range (once again emphasising that absolute performance isn't priority over comfort and warmth) - just don't want to get sold on whatever zipfit a store has in my size if there is a more appropriate model.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy