Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

sidecut choice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all
First post here.
Regular dry slope skier and 3 months worths of holidays behind me. Looking forward to this seasons.. nothing booked yet though!
My first skis were blizzards 155 r12 now sking on Aztec pros (2006) 165 duel sidecut r12/14 I,m wondering want impact sking with a larger sidecut would
Have.
I like my Aztecs, they still have a good base.. bit skinny underfoot compared to all mountain skis now . But if I were to replace them I wondering how to
Determine the sidecut that best suits me . I ski shoulder wide and sometimes feet almost clamped together in good continental style. And slide the tails out perhaps more
Than I should . Carving is all fine and dandy, but if your attempting wide turns I find you really have to look about you to avoid collision risk.
Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You need to test some different options. It is a matter of taste even more than it is an issue of what sort of skiing you like doing.
Most ski shops in resort will let you hire different test skis over a few days and deduct the hire charges from your purchase.
I'd do that on your next holiday.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome to snowheads piero. I thought I'd respond, better late than never, because you've only had one reply. When you say "larger sidecut" I'm assuming you actually mean less sidecut and a larger radius, like 16 - 20 metres. Apologies if I've got that wrong.

When you're skiing "feet almost clamped together" you may not notice any difference with a larger radius ski, although it may feel a bit more stable at speed compared to your 12/14 metre radius Aztec Pros. Some people also say that longer radius skis are less 'hooky' in soft snow, i.e. when skiing off-piste.

If you're *carving* a turn on a larger radius ski, the turn shape will tend to be more 'giant slalom' than slalom. Someone recently posted this link, which may be helpful for you: http://www.snowandrock.com/ski-technology/content/fcp-content

What jedster wrote is good advice. I tested six piste skis a few years ago and only one stood out as being really suitable for me. I could get along ok with the others, but they were unexciting, too soft, or too crisp or unsuitable in some other way.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Walter, thank you for the link which I have found very informative reading. In particular the design intent for the varied duel sidecut. When I purchased the aztecs I felt they were a little advanced for my level at that time. Its interesting to learn that turn shape is not the same as side cut radius, but varies depending on edge angle and pressure. When we have a poles session on the dry slope I prefer the GS but enjoy jump turns and short radius swings on snow. will have to test skis on holiday. Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy