Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

is this the worst year EVER for snow ?

Poster: A snowHead
I do believe it's SNOWING!!! snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@emwmarine, the live map is showing Cime open, but Boismint closed today. Certainly more open this week than last week, but very little below village level.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
[b]@Ravelin

"Maybe trying to grab a week at Easter, last minute, if conditions somewhere are still decent is the "safe" way to do it in future."

Not a bad idea! We have skiied the last 24 years in the Alps at Easter and never had anything other than "decent" (or better) conditions.

It always surprises us that that the stampede at New Year (which we have also skiied on each of the past 24 winters) can make Easter seem like off peak by comparison. Easter is usually a great time to ski and I would recommend giving it a go.

Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Bergmeister,

A lot of sense in that. April is one of the best months for weather and depth or snow, depending on where you are, and yet the slopes are relatively empty.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There is some snow... http://wepowder.com/weblog/5521/PA%232-where-to-go

Interesting article, have faith... http://wepowder.com/weblog/5514/Northern-Alps-are-late-winters-better%3
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Skiing in Cervinia this weekend. Seems 95% open and is brilliant- even some decent off piste. Had planned to stay in Courmayer but not open- and looked completely green driving through on Thursday. Guess with early season you've got to be flexible and follow the snow- mind you taxi cost a fortune!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
emwmarine wrote:
@Bergmeister,

A lot of sense in that. April is one of the best months for weather and depth or snow, depending on where you are, and yet the slopes are relatively empty.

Agreed, I have booked 2 weeks in April, the only thing I don't like is those first few frozen runs of the day. Nice once it softens up a bit though.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!

The Met Office surface pressure chart for midweek suggests that a front will pass through the alps and hopefully will be pulling cold air with it.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I know things are bad, but I hadn't expected to see a pick up truck at 2,250m Crying or Very sad

http://courchevel.livecam360.net/signal?t=2014-12-08+11-20-00&r=293&z=110&tl=100000
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Onnem wrote:
There's MASSES of snow in the Alps. But it's concentrated on the southern side. Austria, Switzerland and NW France received 1 dump which was then erased by weeks of foehn.

Lovely pics Onnem. Literally made my mouth water, which is an odd reaction when you think about it.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I know things are bad, but I hadn't expected to see a pick up truck at 2,250m

They have to try and get some snow up there somehow. Didn't I read in another thread that an open pick up can carry 5.9 cubic meters of snow?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Been a poor start on Hokkaido.

Central Hokkaido resorts yet to open.

Otaru and Sapporo resorts opened as planned at the end of November. Good snow but limited terrain.

Rusutsu East Mt yet to open.

Niseko United opened this past weekend.

Late but great

latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A dusting of snow has fallen over several French resorts and the cannons have been going for it, meaning lot of resorts look quite healthy this morning. As long as temps stay low sure there will be plenty of on piste skiing available in resorts when they open.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@garethjomo, There has been no sign of any cannon on below about 1800m in this part of the Portes du Soleil so far this month - as it has not been that cold and temperatures and freezing levels have consistently been higher than forecast (today is another example of that). The temperature has not fallen below 0c at 1200m here in Chatel for what seems like an eternity! I can't speak for other areas - however I disagree with the "look quite healthy" part of the post as it is far from being healthy in the PDS!

Hopefully the situation may have improved tomorrow morning with some sort of snowfall and a (very temporary) spell of colder temperatures allowing the snowmaking operation to begin on the lower half of the mountain.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Chatel Snow, why have you been so warm? Chamonix was well negative the last few nights.
snow report
Not sure - cloud cover? -- but my readings tie in with the weather station down in La Chapelle.

ps Oc in Cham at 8am this morning - so similar to here?

pps - just on way out - so will investigate later
snow report
@Chatel Snow, -1C in Cham last night, -2C Friday a.m. at 08h30.
ski holidays
Snow?
ski holidays
@under a new name, maybe its just location then - with us being that little bit more prone to milder influences?
snow conditions
just back from a trip up to about 1750m at Super Chatel - no cannon have been able to function at that altitude and currently 1 to 2cm of snow lying.

hopefully it will look very different up there tomorrow.
snow report
A couple of cm overnight on the lower hills around Lake Geneva, no doubt more up high
ski holidays
12cm at 1200m in Chatel this morning
latest report
Chatel Snow wrote:
12cm at 1200m in Chatel this morning

That's really positive, is the temp low enough at 1200m to sustain and build on this?

I'm interested to hear ongoing updates of Chatel snow
snow report
@trainee snowboard jedi, There are some milder periods expected in the next 7 days as well as further opportunities for snow - will update in the Avoriaz / Chatel / Les Gets Morzine snow report page on this site... http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=111610
snow conditions
Had a chat with my boss today about how poor the snow is and how gutted I am about missing the week before Christmas. I HAD to go then as our holiday runs 1 January. After careful negotiation, I've convinced him to let me carry my holiday over; i'm immediately (and selfishly) less bothered about the 3cm covering. snowHead
ski holidays
SnowSquirrell wrote:
Had a chat with my boss today about how poor the snow is and how gutted I am about missing the week before Christmas. I HAD to go then as our holiday runs 1 January. After careful negotiation, I've convinced him to let me carry my holiday over; i'm immediately (and selfishly) less bothered about the 3cm covering. snowHead

I hate you.....that's all.......nothing else..........oh and your boss even more.

Only joking.....you lucky buggar, unfortunately I've bent over and paid for 3 weeks in an apartment which the T's & C's I can't change, damn. But Hey ho, we'll make the best of it.
latest report
Not yet, it is to early to tell! Could turn out very good as it did last winter if we are lucky. The snow only came a few days before the start last year, but then it was good. Still time for that to happen again!
snow conditions
@trainee snowboard jedi, Good long term, potentially, but in the short term I still have the same exhausting procedure of checking webcams, snow etc - all I've done is push it back. Noted however that end of Jan is presumably more snow sure.

As a fellow snowhead I do feel your pain!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@SnowSquirrell, I need to book more weeks to average out the snow quality Smile
snow conditions
I have tickets to Torino for Saturday for a week. was 37 EUR per person round trip... thinking Cervinia. Wanted to do MonteRosa, but not sure if I can be entertained for a week with what is open above 1800 meters... and besides, always wanted to ski the Matterhorn. Is that connection open?
snow report
I had snow up to mid shin today, so its ok if you know where to go!
latest report
@HeidiAmsterdam, there are vety few pistes in Monterosa below 1,800m and everything is pretty well cannoned up...
ski holidays
@HeidiAmsterdam There's MASSES of snow above 2200 (Gabiet etc.) and almost all pistes are covered by snow cannons.

And when it's cold enough - like now - they produce like crazy. Just take a look at this photo
https://scontent-a-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/s720x720/10857719_10152430820455776_1586799944549087299_n.jpg?oh=25976755adca7290b5d56c652da3d91c&oe=550829BB
latest report
All those who have books for early ski trips what did you honestly expect? By the same principal it's like book a week on the Costa Del Sol in March and complaining the temperatures are only in the high teens.
snow report
It's always a gamble if you don't book late but I can understand why people are slightly disappointed based upon historical conditions. Early and late season advice should always be heeded to book high and if you don't you roll those dice. Saying that, even booking high has this year a huge element of dice rolling as I have found out heading to Val D this weekend! Stil excited though. Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

Stil excited though.

Me too, I think most know it's a gamble. It's always something of a gamble, no use going early March if it's 100mph winds rattling through the resort the whole week.

Let the anxiety flow I say. Very Happy
latest report
scottief wrote:
It's always a gamble if you don't book late but I can understand why people are slightly disappointed based upon historical conditions. Early and late season advice should always be heeded to book high and if you don't you roll those dice. Saying that, even booking high has this year a huge element of dice rolling as I have found out heading to Val D this weekend! Stil excited though. Very Happy

Give us an update when you're there, I'm a week behind you. Webcams are looking better
latest report
@Ricklovesthepowder, Puzzled Puzzled

There is no problem in early ski trips .- just a choice of location. Toofy Grin

No problems in Norway Toofy Grin
snow report
Apart from how bloody dark it is at this time of year.

Out of curiosity, what time do the lifts shut at the minute?
ski holidays
@Piemonster, http://www.skistar.com/da/SkiPass-og-skilob/Abningstider/

With and without light. (hope you read "scandi").

It is dark, yes - but nice in a way. When snow comes in the Alps - than it's time to go there.

Rigsgrænsen first opens for the season 20th of february. Toofy Grin but that is north of the polar circle.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy