Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Goggles...

Poster: A snowHead
biddpyat wrote:
Don't know why anyone bothers with googles except on white outs, I just like googles for those can't see your hand in front of you days

Couple of reasons for me. Firstly my eyes will water very heavily if I don't wear some sort of protection, to an extent that's just dangerous. Secondly I have fair skin and prone to sunburn. Rather than messing around with cream and the like it's easier to just whack on some UV goggles and a buff.

Recently got a set of Bolle Gravity but not had the chance to wear them yet. Being a warm and sweaty type chap I suspect that I'll still have fogging issues, but hopefully better than the previous set that weren't from any brand I've heard of and would mist up if I got without 12 yards of them, let alone put them on my face.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks for the tips guys.

Oakley A Frames seem to be my top choice so far
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm trying to hint to my family to get me a flashy pair of OTG type goggles with see in the dark lens with a make that I can get a replacement for.

But my son says ... "what happened to the pair I bought you last year?"
I did not have the heart to tell him I didn't want black ones!

But I find that goggles always fail, I was lucky enough to get a "Blue Bird" day after a storm at Lake Louise yesterday ... but it was -27
Every spot of flesh was covered up which means the mask pushes moisture up onto the inside of the lens and freezes.

In the end I just took the goggles off and let my eye lashes ice up.

I've been using the goggles today as well ... but on the snowmobile, the most important part then is to stop the low branches from taking your eye out.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@bezthespaniard
The A frames are a good choice ... get "pesimon" lens it give a nice pink tinge which makes even crap weather look rosy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Persimmon or Hi Yellow?

These goggles are mainly for bad weather
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@foxtrotzulu, Well, it's not so much of a case that I'm happy in goggles, as that I have to wear them due to my sinus issue. But I figure, since I HAVE to wear them, I may as well be happy in them Smile

@irie, No two pairs of eyes are the same, so it's great that you found a tint that you are happy with in almost all conditions. Which is really what it's all about - finding what works for YOU.
Speaking of beer... That can also be used as a goggle, of sorts! If I have a couple too many, wherever I look, everything seems prettier (strictly talking about the mountain views now, you understand) Wink

@biddpyat, Can't speak for the others, could be just a preference, but goggles do alleviate sinus problems (at least for me). I've also got a great pair of photochromic shades, but they only come out when I sit down for a quick bite or tea Sad
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've just noticed these are coming onto Amazon at 8:10 tonight Smith Transit Pro Goggles - White Mariposa, they're £70 now but they might be reduced a bit tonight. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00GGC18DO/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_QNgFub0646E54?tag=amz07b-21
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@bezthespaniard, Switched to Hi Yellow from Persimmon last year and they are better, but you won't get much reduction in good light, so an alt. lens might be a wise investment or go for Persimmon as a good compromise lens.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@gad, I get migraines. I have Smith goggles with 2 different lenses. The low light lense has a slight bluish hue and I haven't noticed that they bring on a migraine. I tend to check the weather forecast and put in whichever lense best suits the prediction - of course conditions can change in a second but I find I can manage quite well with either of the lenses I have. I have previously only had cheap goggles with an orange hue and absolutely love the clarity of the Smith's which were a gift. As for migraines I am prescribed Frovatriptan which works well for me.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
biddpyat wrote:
Don't know why anyone bothers with googles except on white outs, I just like googles for those can't see your hand in front of you days

Kind of what they said - if you're riding fast enough, like on a bike, without some eye protection you're not going to be able to see.

If you're riding in trees then whatever your speed you'll need something to keep the stuff out of your eyes.

For storms, goggles work where sunglasses don't, which other than the face protection thing is why many people wear them. It's hard to get sunglasses which work sensibly in mountain conditions, in my experience - most let in too much light.

But it's all good - wear what you like.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have Oakley's with persimmons lenses and find these decent in all conditions. When it is warm and blue skies i do tend to just wear oakley sunglasses.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

What phil said.

Personally I find I can see better in decent goggles than with sunnies - it's a combination of keeping the wind out of my eyes and the breadth of the lens - frames don't interfere. I don't have problems with them steaming up unless I manage to get snow inside or after a particularly steamy bubble ride - either way a high speed blast clears them out. I only ski in sunglasses when it's really hot late season or I'm touring. Don't see the downside myself.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
oh and they do look much better with a ski helmet. not that I'm shallow Embarassed
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@jedster, OK, now this is about to get very embarassing. Embarassed Picture the scene - I've just spent the last five minutes sitting at desk in the office wearing first goggles, then sunglasses. Goggles, sunglasses.... goggles sunglasses. Thank goodness nobody walked in Very Happy

The result of my highly technical research is that sunglasses have a significantly better field of vision. Now, I'll happily accept that there are goggles with a wider field than mine but I was comparing 'standard' goggles with 'standard' skiing sunglasses (padded). As I say, the difference was obvious. While the goggles have bigger lenses they also sit much further in front of the eyes so what they gain on the one hand they more than lose on the other. Quod erat demonstrandum Toofy Grin Try it and see if you disagree.

Padded sunglasses do also keep the wind out of your eyes pretty well. In really cr@p weather goggles win hands down, but in anything less it's little more than just a question of taste.
Can one see 'better' with goggles? When you remopve the 'environmental issues' of wind, cold and snow then I think that's unlikely. The hard lenses of even the cheaper sunglasses is likely to be optically superior to the flexible lenses of even the better goggles. One presumes the orange tint is better is flat light but I can't honestly say I've ever noticed much difference when changing over.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
FTZ - fair point - my goggles are pretty big with spherical type lens, smaller goggles will have some limit to field of view
By padded sunglasses do you mean glacier glasses - the ones with leather "hoods" at the side and the bridge? Haven't seen anyone skiing in them for ages! Always though they tended to be a bit dark given they were meant to protect you from very bright conditions (like summer glacier travel). I guess they will keep the wind out of your eyes quite well.
snow report
@jedster,
Quote:

By padded sunglasses do you mean glacier glasses - the ones with leather "hoods" at the side and the bridge?

No, I didn't mean them. They were very cool (back in about 1986 Very Happy)

I meant sungglasses like this:

http://www.uksportseyewear.co.uk/product.php/130/ski-glasses-goggles-interchangeable-lenses

or these which are a bit more 'rad'Very Happy

http://www.greatsunglasses.co.uk/arctica-cyclone-winter-sport-sunglasses-ski-glasses-anti-fog-1733858133
snow report
Anyone yet with comparisons of summit evolve vs anon m2? Anon is a bit more expensive, Even if I have the summit shipped to states. Thx!!
ski holidays
No. Just spent a week or so with some photochromic goggles and they are great - no more carrying a spare lens for me. Perfect from early morning gloom through blue sky. These are Zeiss lenses, so no optical issues there.

You will not see anyone riding a storm in the back country with sunglasses. I would consider someone without goggles a significant safety risk; they aren't really optional.
latest report
I'm really impressed with my Anon goggles, they never steam up, ever. Pre-helmet I used to wear sunglasses and they steamed up all the time and the wind got behind them and made my eyes stream!

I only wear sunglasses now if it's lunchtime and I'm sitting in the sun, and in any case, sunglasses look daft with helmets.
snow conditions
Yeah, I really want a pair of the anon m2" but they're so expensive. @honeybunny, what color lens did you get? Not sure how to decide on the main lens color.
snow report
Another vote for Anon M2s, bought them due to the recommendation earlier on this thread.

1 week in, and not steamed up once, my previous Uvex goggles regularly steamed up, so I'm very happy.

The magnet lenses are easy to change, I have the standard ones it came with, been using mainly the lighter ones as most pistes I've been skiing have not faced the sun. I've found that I get better vis of the snow conditions with the lenses rather than just the naked eye.
latest report
@Redwine, If you can wait, I'll be hitting the slopes on the 3rd of Jan so can let you know what the Summits are like. I won't be able to compare them directly with the Anon's though as I haven't owned them, but I'll be able to tell you whether they steam up or not, how the lenses perform in various lighting conditions etc.

The lens change is equally easy on either (tried them both in the shop) and the FOV seemed all but identical. It was suggested here on the forum that the lenses for Summit goggles are made by Cebe, which helped make my mind to buy them.

In the UK they're almost half the price of the Anon's (£90 vs £170), so giving them a go was a no brainer.
snow report
biddpyat wrote:

My glass eye would freeze.

Kind of unusual situation though. Happy
snow conditions
Have a look at these http://www.melonoptics.co.uk Bought a pair last year with the additional low light lens and they were fab. Good field of vision and were good at keeping the misting away. Definitely gives the high end brands a run for their money!
snow report
ok so I see why some wear goggles all the time, but if you invest in proper ski glasses instead of sunglasses, you don't really need goggles except for white outs, I have proper ski glasses. They look far less like a frog face.
ski holidays
trainee snowboard jedi wrote:
Umm, this thread is very confusing, I am still none the wiser on what set of goggles to buy!

I have learnt that mine steam up because I'm fat though Smile

Does anyone know anything about Smiths? I've heard that they're quite good.

the simple fact is that there is no simple answer. Everyone is different, what works for you may be useless for someone with a different shaped face.
If you are misting up a lot, don't plant your face in the snow and look for something with an anti fog lens and good ventilation between the lens and your face.
latest report
To echo @foxtrotzulu, a long way above. Put your goggles on (buy ones which fit well, with plenty of ventilation and double lenses) and KEEP THEM ON. Take them off at lunchtime and at end of play. If you do this, your goggles are much less likely to fog up - remember, the water on the inside of the goggles comes from you, and causes fog when it hits cold goggles. Keep 'em on, you keep 'em warm and fog free.
snow conditions
I swear by my Smith I/OS goggles in every condition, they are flawless even 4 full seasons down the line (over 100 days skiing each yr).

The critical thing which I've seen very few mention here is TRY THEM ON. No point getting a flash pair only to find they don't fit your face, don't create a seal, get steamed up, allow wind in to make your eyes water, etc etc.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Carrera's , they mesh perfectly with my choice of helmet (also Carrera) so no cold gap on my forehead, colour rendition is excellent with Carrera's lenses in general . Cebe's very durable, double layer lenses , good rugged frames . I find a wide ,unimpeded field of vision important, I don't need to see the frame. Given that a pair of goggles fit well then it's they colour of the lens that determines my choice on any given day. I always carry a spare generally with a different colour lens , a get me home but always handy if the light conditions change radically during the day.
snow conditions
tillywhim wrote:
@gad, I get migraines. I have Smith goggles with 2 different lenses. The low light lense has a slight bluish hue and I haven't noticed that they bring on a migraine. I tend to check the weather forecast and put in whichever lense best suits the prediction - of course conditions can change in a second but I find I can manage quite well with either of the lenses I have. I have previously only had cheap goggles with an orange hue and absolutely love the clarity of the Smith's which were a gift. As for migraines I am prescribed Frovatriptan which works well for me.

I've took on board what you're saying about the blue lenses so I've been on the hunt for either some for my a frames or do I take the plunge and get the smith io's Puzzled
I've got the fire iridium lens, a brown lens and the persimmon lens which I simply can't wear, decisions, decisions!
Any one want to sell me a blue lens Toofy Grin
snow report
My experience suggests that spending anything more than about £50 on a pair of goggles buys you little more than a brand name and some pseudo innovations.
latest report
snowglider wrote:
@Redwine, If you can wait, I'll be hitting the slopes on the 3rd of Jan so can let you know what the Summits are like. I won't be able to compare them directly with the Anon's though as I haven't owned them, but I'll be able to tell you whether they steam up or not, how the lenses perform in various lighting conditions etc.

The lens change is equally easy on either (tried them both in the shop) and the FOV seemed all but identical. It was suggested here on the forum that the lenses for Summit goggles are made by Cebe, which helped make my mind to buy them.

In the UK they're almost half the price of the Anon's (£90 vs £170), so giving them a go was a no brainer.

Just wondering how you got on with these?

Ta
joe
snow conditions
glasgowcyclops wrote:
biddpyat wrote:

My glass eye would freeze.

Kind of unusual situation though. Happy

And a great username to match.

I have a pair of Bolle Modulators after asking a similar question last year. Work well but I only use them in absolute awful conditions. Sun glasses all day long for me.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy