Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ABS Bags - real life reviews?

Poster: A snowHead
Narrowed it down to either Ortovox Freerider 24 or Mammut Ride Protection 22. Previously used the Ortovox Freeride 18 (without ABS) and a great pack, but the ABS version looks heavier than the Mammut by about 500g.

Anyone own either and can share their thoughts?

Thanks in advance
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Ortovox packs are excellent (if not a little heavy). If you are small go with a Freeride 24 - The 26 has a bit more space, but both have very limited capacity once loaded with Arva gear. IMO definitely upgrade to a carbon cylinder as they are significantly lighter.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Dashed, As you may imagine I have used both, the extra weight in the Ortovox packs is down to the build quality in the packs, if you don't use the spine protection bit with the airbag fitted they end up the roughly same weight.

Both great packs but the Ortovox tops the Ride Protection on quality, but in terms of weight its a little odd the Ortovox can feel lighter due to the big waist strap supporting the weight, but in terms of balance points the Mammut protection keeps the weight of the airbag closer to the body.

Both are a good choice Toofy Grin

@Charliee, is correct the Ortovox carry capacity is reduced with the airbag in so about the same 22 Mammut equals 24 or 26 Ortovox.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Dashed, I have the Mammut Rocker Backback, absolutely love it!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I don't have an ABS, but can recommend the BCA Float series too if you're in the market for an airbag.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
+1 to the BCA, 2nd season now for mine, very pleased with the fit, great price and rugged, easy to refill the cylinder too Smile
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
KenX wrote:
+1 to the BCA, 2nd season now for mine, very pleased with the fit, great price and rugged, easy to refill the cylinder too Smile

That last point is a winner for me too. I can pop round to either the Scuba center or paintball center which are both within 20 minutes drive, and get a refill.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@feef,
Quote:

or paintball center

paint ball places are OK, however its worth checking always that their air is dry air, as some are not if they have their own compressor, dry air is less likely to freeze in very cold conditions Shocked
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all the feedback - much appreciated. Still can't decide wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I love my ABS bag. Have the 18lt ultralite sac plus a 25lt for touring (the bag came with a £50 voucher so the extra pack only cost about £15 - £20. I upgraded to the carbon cylinder to keep the weight down but I find it comfy and easy to keep on when riding lifts. I like that I can fly with the charged cylinder and not have to worry about filling it before skiing.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Scarpa wrote:
I like that I can fly with the charged cylinder and not have to worry about filling it before skiing.

That's the same for all airbags.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ABS Vario with carbon canister 18L, perfect for day tours/ freeride!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have the Mammut Ride Protection 22L and I like it a lot. I have the steel canister and have no desire to change at the moment. I have used backpacks for years (Ortovox/Black Diamond) so the weight doesn't bother me at all and it really doesn't feel heavy on my back. I guess if you are not used to wearing a pack then then you may feel differently. The quality seems comparable to the other packs I have used but I haven't seen the Ortovox Freerider so can't comment on comparable quality. @livetoski, knows what he's talking about - probably says all you need to know above. I bought mine form him fwiw - great service.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@feef, Not in the States you can't, they have totally different regulations. And regardless of the regs many airline security staff seem to apply their own logic (or lack of it) http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=72233

I was under the impression that compressed air systems should be emptied before being checked in.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The BCA Float 30 pack uses a refillable compressed air canister to inflate its airbags. People using BCA, Snowpulse, Mammut, or any other system with a refillable cylinder should be able to fly with it as long as it is completely empty and the valve has been removed prior to your arrival at the airport.

According to the TSA website, “Compressed gas cylinders are allowed in checked baggage or as a carry-on ONLY if the regulator valve is completely disconnected from the cylinder and the cylinder is no longer sealed (i.e. the cylinder has an open end). The cylinder must have an opening to allow for a visual inspection inside.” http://www.tetongravity.com/story/ski/How-To-Fly-With-An-Avalanche-Airbag-Safety-Pack-5869331
latest report
@Markymark29, +1, have had mine since 2008/9 so can vouch for their build quality too. Use mine for off-piste, day tours and hut to hut tours.
snow conditions
obviously 40l pack for the longer tours, as find the 18 enough for a day out in chamonix.
latest report
Yep the regs in the States are different but quite often confused with the rest of the world. You can fly to the states from the uk with a full cylinder, but not coming back or internal flights in the US.
Its pretty easy now to take an empty cylinder and either get it exchanged or filled in US resorts, for not to much money.

Flying into Alaska is usually ok if its pretty much direct i.e. private or small plane transfer to resort! From main airport!
snow conditions
Yep the regs in the States are different but quite often confused with the rest of the world. You can fly to the states from the uk with a full cylinder, but not coming back or internal flights in the US.
Its pretty easy now to take an empty cylinder and either get it exchanged or filled in US resorts, for not to much money.

Flying into Alaska is usually ok if its pretty much direct i.e. private or small plane transfer to resort! From main airport!
ski holidays
As long as the airline follows IATA regs, you can fly with the cylinder full. The TSA for flights originating in the USA are certainly an exception, but elsewhere it's no issue. The issue I HAVE come across is some airlines using out of date IATA regs prior to the Jan 2013 change which removed any restrictions on cylinder volume.
ski holidays
So to clarify, you can fly in europe with a full (refillable) BCA canister ?
snow report
@AndAnotherThing.., Yes no problem, there was a regulation change 2 years ago that dropped the size of the cylinder so BCA is OK, but its still only one cylinder how ever big it is, so I am keeping my fingers crossed for people who are going to fly with the new Scott packs this season.
snow report
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
So to clarify, you can fly in europe with a full (refillable) BCA canister ?

Yes, I have done several times, and have always called the airline to confirm so it's not like I'm just sticking them in the hold and hoping for the best.

One airline I've not used, but would be careful of, is EasyJet as they seem confused about their own policy

See my articles here:

http://www.powpowpow.org/flying-with-your-airbag-whats-the-score/

and here:

http://www.powpowpow.org/an-open-letter-to-easyjet/
snow conditions
@feef, I totally agree.. some airlines just seem to not communicate with their own staff *shakes head*

I've never had a problem with Liverpool Easyjet myself, they have been pretty well informed but I've heard of a few issues. These days I just drive though as I do longer trips now.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy