Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian Currency

Poster: A snowHead
We're off to Kitzbuhl at Christmas & I've a few hundered quids worth of euros sitting in my safe.

Can any Austrian regulars tell me if they're accepted or do I need to cough up for some Austrian schillings?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
spyderjon, Austria's currency is the Euro. Confused
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
IncogSkiSno, Thanks for that. Deb reckoned it was but the schilling was listed in the currency converter I googled.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
spyderjon, Laughing You should have listened to Deb, you know we women are always right wink

We were in Austria the year they were taking both the Euro and the Schilling, now that was confusing Confused
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
IncogSkiSno wrote:
spyderjon, Laughing You should have listened to Deb, you know we women are always right wink

I've just had the "I told you" comment Mad
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Dutch guilders and euros was fun too, but many places stopped accepting guilders (same in finland iirc), especially transport, on the 1st jan.
But why do I still need 3 currencies in my wallet (CHF,GBP,EUR) ???
Still... I did quite like the weightless Austrian coins (grenchens?) made of alloy. And I still hate the humungous british ones.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Where does everyone get their foreign currency from? I go to Marks and Spencers, as you get a better exchange rate there than the post office.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
andy wrote:

Still... I did quite like the weightless Austrian coins (grenchens?) made of alloy.

They were called grosschen. Obsolete now anyway,although if you do have any old Austrian Schillings, German Deutschmarks or French Franc coins stashed away I believe some British banks can still collect them for charity. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
IncogSkiSno, atm
Alastair Pink, yeah that's the one. must have a few somewhere, and sure i still have an olde worlde french note (100F?), the old type with the ink that runs and sized to poke out the top of an international standard sized wallet.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Get a Nationwide current account and put some money in and take out Euros at the local ATM cash machine. This is the only bank that don't charge you ( the bank you take money out aboard may charge you ) . You also get the market rate which is way above the tourist rate

today for example:-

€1.43 to the pound at http://www.travelex.co.uk- which is the best rate for tourist rate

€1.474 market rate - which is the one you get with nationwide ( The visa rate)

Here in Austria I have never been charged by the austrian banks for taking money out!! Blush

They are also about the only bank that don't charge you for using a credit card aboard and you also get the market rate.

Nigel
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
djfletcher, Ah, yes I remember seeing something about Nationwide on TV. My son has an acccount with them; now do I trust him enough to put our money into his account? Confused
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
IncogSkiSno, one word - No.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Paul Mason, IF I have possession of the card it could work.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
andy, Hear, hear. Of course Switzerland is not in the EU, so I suppose they'll carry on with their "olde worlde" currency, but it's about time the UK got up to speed. Apart from anything else it would save the ordinary person money on holiday (which the banks hate), and the poor old UK residents would finally realise how much more thay pay for eveything than on most of the continent (which the big retailers hate). Of course, with the banks and the big retailers working to keep the pound there's no chance. In addition Rupert Murdoch has done an excellent job of persuading a large portion of Britain that we'll lose our national identity if we lose the pound????????????????????? Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
easiski, yeah it is a pain. At least in Switzerland, lots of places (and most people I know) accept EUR in lieu of CHF at a fixed rate (1:1.5 iirc). I guess depending on location, they always used to accept FFR, DM, etc. too?
Was very useful in mountain hut on way down to Morgins, to pay in a mix of CHF and EUR. About the only place in UK you could do that is duty free with dual currency tills!
snow conditions
easiski wrote:
the poor old UK residents would finally realise how much more thay pay for eveything than on most of the continent

I wish, since the Euro came in my 5F coffee at the local bar now costs 1E20.

If you want to see everything get more expensive while linking your economic fortunes to the Greeks, adopt the Euro.
latest report
spyderjon,

I tried to warn you last night but my connection gave me grief....

At last no one has passed you the thicky baton....

I don't mind other countries adopting the euro but I will not vote for it... And by the time we get one, Italy and others may have jumped ship anyway. The budget is creaking already, just wait unilt Ireland, Spain and Portugal and others have to pay into the thing, then you will see how keen they are. Off topic, I know

djfletcher, Sign up for that very reason...and the other benefits aren't too bad either
ski holidays
spyderjon, just a little note that Utah is part of the United States of America, and they use US Dollars there...
latest report
JT wrote:
spyderjon,

I tried to warn you last night but my connection gave me grief....

At last no one has passed you the thicky baton....

I don't mind other countries adopting the euro but I will not vote for it... And by the time we get one, Italy and others may have jumped ship anyway. The budget is creaking already, just wait unilt Ireland, Spain and Portugal and others have to pay into the thing, then you will see how keen they are. Off topic, I know

djfletcher, Sign up for that very reason...and the other benefits aren't too bad either

Thanks a bunch JT, I thought I'd got away with it Laughing

BTW, I may not be with you on the XL's but I am concerning the euro.
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, Don't you start Mad

Have a great time at ESAE.
snow conditions
davidof, Yeah - but in England it cost £2.00!!!!! I pay in the UK in sterling (at a huge city supermarket) what I pay here in euros for weekly shopping - and that's a small supermarket half way up a mountain!! Coffee, sarnies etc. in the UK are prohibitive. Cost of everything definitely more, except, curiously, paint!!
snow conditions
spyderjon, well, yesterday I had a warm up on the mountains, and it was good. We've had about 8-10" in the last 6 hours, and it's not showing any sign of stopping!
snow report
spyderjon, I'm kind of assuming from the above that you are not too au fait with moving around Austria! Still have vague hopes of getting over to Kitz during our xMas week, but we might be snowed in by the look of it!.

snowHead
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat, yeah, yeah, yeah, woteva.

Just back from days 3-6 of this years planned skiing and looking forward to next week(s) days 7-21. So there, nyah nyah, yah boo sucks.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy