Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Jackets.... Which one do I pick?!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

I'm a bit of a skiing newbie - only been when I was little with the family & school. Getting kitted out for a ski trip can take quite a hefty chunk out of my budget so want to make sure I'm going for the right stuff.

What I'm stuck on is what jacket to go for. I want something that keeps me dry & warm but I can move in.... I will likely fall over a LOT so it has to allow for a lot of movement :/

I really like the North Face in general for outdoor jackets but not sure they're the best brand for ski clothes. Helly Hansen seems to have a good range.... I'd like to get people's feedback on the Helly Hansen ski jackets, in particular the velocity jacket. I've found it on sale and wanted to see what the seasoned experts think of it: http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/helly-hansen-womens-velocity-jacket-2b110148?id_colour=133

Thanks guys, really appreciate the help!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My wife had one that she really liked. Nothing wrong with NF for skiing in either but if you like the Helly and the price is right, get that.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks, really appreciate the help Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@outdoorfanatic, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

I got the North Face Hyvent a couple of seasons ago and have been really pleased with it. Its a shell with zip in/out liner jacket, so quite handy for differing temperatures at the different times of the season, plus then double up as a going out in the evening option.

NF may well have replaced/updated the line - IIRC it was around £260.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I suggest you buy a cheapie for starters and find out what is important to you in a jacket. For me this is fit and convenient pockets. I also need a thin jacket as I get hot and like to layer. It took me a long time to find this out. You will not suffer in a cheap jacket, and buying an expensive one which you end up disliking would be a costly mistake. There are plenty of good cheap starter options at Decathlon, T K Maxx, etc. Trespass is good value. Only invest big money when you know you are buying what you really want from a jacket.

snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@outdoorfanatic,

The HH jacket is very good value but the advice and recommendations from @Chris Bish, are worth serious consideration TK Maxx often have TNF Hyvent jackets in stock and layering is excellent advice.

Buying a cheaper jacket now is not a bad investment. If you like skiing and later buy a better one you will have this as a spare plus as mentioned you will have a better idea what features matter to you.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My old HH is still going strong after many weeks of use. The brand may have been devalued in recent years but I have no complaints.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Chris Bish, +1
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Amazing thanks so much for the advice, I'll head down to TK Maxx this weekend to see what cheap deals they have, if they don't have anything I'm sure Sports Direct will have something Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
i've just grabbed myself a Bergans Trolltind from Sportpursuit - was £150 and ticks all the boxes for me. Like @chris bish i get hot so like to layer and its a shell and will get its first outing this week at Xscape
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
TK Maxx definitely have a lot of bargains, so its worth having a look around. The HH is a good jacket and certainly ticks a lot of boxes. For a newbie starting out, I would look for a single jacket with vents rather than layered options as its one less thing to worry about and you can concentrate more on your skiing. For what its worth I would suggest you look for the following in a first jacket.

- cheap - as your needs will change as you improve and you may find you are going more often, less often, etc.
- warm - so single jacket with insulation - as you will be cold either on the lift or waiting around with you instructor or stumbling back at midnight from the afterski - down is lighter, but any insulation will do as long as it keeps you warm
- hood - doesn't matter if its attached or not - you wont need it when you are skiing (as you will be wearing a helmet), but you will find it useful for the afterski while walking from bar to bar or back in blightly when you are getting use of it in winter.
- ski pass pocket in the forearm - its easier to wave your arm near the ski pass scanner than jiggling your hips up or down in front of it - although maybe not as fun to watch for everyone else Very Happy
- pit vents - as although it will be cold you will work up a sweat and pit vents can assist the main zip with cooling you down
- waterproof - for loads of reasons, but if its also waterproof then it will keep the wind out

things that might confuse matters
- breathable - in my view this is a misnomer when used in the phrase "waterproof and breathable" as there are very few waterproofs that are truly "breathable", if they were we wouldn't need pitzips.
- softshell outer - this is breathable but not really waterproof, but if you are only using on the slopes then it may be an option, but if you use it on a rainy night in winter then you will get wet.
- sealed seams - some jackets have waterproof fabric that is let down by stitched through seams, the holes from the sewing needle let the water bypass the waterproof layer, a taped seam will seal these holes - not essential unless you are really worried about a deluge, but nice to have on that rainy night in Rochdale.
- powder skirt - nice to have if you are going offpiste and you are going to get snow up your jacket, but also nice to have if its blowy as it can keep the wind out too, but generally not necessary for the blues and reds of most resorts
- Recco reflector unit - this is useful for rescue teams if you are caught in an avalanche, theoretically being a beginner you are unlikely to go offpiste and therefore you are less likely to be caught up in an avalanche, so the need for such a unit is debatable - there is also some disagreement about how effective it is, but it definitely works, it just depends on how quickly the rescue team can get to you, this is getting better also, so on the whole I would say having one is better than not, but it is not a deal breaker for a newbie.

But the reality is that the most important criteria when buying is ski jacket is a combination of functionality / fit / colour / styling - I would say that to most people (whether they admit it or not) this is one of the main criteria in choosing a jacket so factors like:
- does it look good on the slopes / afterski party / in a bar on a wet winters night in Rochdale;
- does it match your ski trousers / skis;
- does it allow me more freedom of movement to pull a half pipe / tighten my boots;
- does it cover my bum / make my bum look big;
- is it feminine / masculine;
- does it have faux fur / urban camo / gold lurex

If the HH jacket meets all of your requirements then buy it, its a good jacket at a great price, but have a look in TK maxx first as they might have a gold lurex one with faux fur on the hood. snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Chris Bish, +1 I started with a £50 Columbia from Go Outdoors. Still got it but upgraded last year after 4 ski trips to something better. Likewise with my ski trousers and gloves.
@Sack the Juggler, +1 Some great points. Someone could show you the ultimate jacket and you could think it looks rank.

On a personal note I don't give a rats chuff what brand people ski in. I'm not urban, street or cool for that matter and I when I'm enjoying the après I only care what the beer tastes like Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy