Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Piste skis with touring boots?

Poster: A snowHead
Couple of weeks ago in Hintertux, the weather was so bad that there was no offpiste. So for one day I hired something closer to piste skis (not piste skis per se, just some all-mountain Salomons with an 85mm waist).

Well... gotta say that, although I can ski piste just fine on much wider skis, and can carve them, it was cool to see how much more maneuverable these babies were.

It got me thinking - could I find a way to use piste skis with my current Scarpa Maestrale RS boots? (not planning to get new boots).

This would be for "now and then" use - family skiing, low-vis / crap snow days etc.

But I don't want to put Marker Barons on a slalom ski.

What are my options?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
With your maestrales most alpine bindings would be dangerous due to the amount of friction between the vibram sole and the ski, even then only bindings with height adjustable toe pieces would even take that boot.
I have maestrales and have marker f12 bindings which work extremely well with the boot, holding it firm enough to ski like an alpine binding. Another plus point for the f12 is that it's a simple adjustment to also take an alpine boot. Another option would be a convert able boot like the BD factor where the sole is changeable between alpine and at, incl tech bindings.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wind the DIN down . . . Your soles boogeroop the tortional release and may put to much vertical pressure into either end .. . Other than that suck it and see if your inner risk assessment is fine with that . . . And your insurance doesn't have a specific equipment codicil.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Inserts - so you can swap bindings?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
http://www.salomon.com/uk/product/warden-mnc-13.html

or

http://marker.net/products/bindings/lord-sp.html

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 25-11-14 16:06; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Salomon Warden or Marker Lord bindings.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@horizon, Marker Squires, Jesters and Salomon WTR (and older Snnn) bindings are all compatible with touring boots. I have a pair of (old) Stockli Rotors with and even older Solly S900s especially for this purpose..
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bügger, I gave away a pair of skis with S900s on...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@horizon, I had some s900 and they were a great binding, plus had a height adjustable toe. The wings occasionally adjusted all by themselves Shocked It also had a slider plate. For myself given that my knees are already goosed, I would still be cautious, but I have defiantly seen people use them with at boots.
I love skiing in my Scarpas, stiff enough, comfortable, light, and you can walk in them and be less likely to fall over.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
When we say older Sally bindings are "compatible", I think that what we mean is that you can get the toe into the binding without it being too much of a squeeze. That doesn't mean that the touring sole will work with the AFD as designed so your release values may well be off.

The newer Markers and Sallies are designed specifically for this so I'd expect them to release properly. Check this thread out:

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/5507-AT-Boots-in-Alpine-Bindings-Controlled-Test
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks Arno!

(want a photo? wink )
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sliding afd is a must!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
OFFSAKE , just learn to telemark rolling eyes
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@horizon, i am dubious about the information given...

I have vibram soles retrofitted to ms Salomon race boots by a well known bootfitter... No adjustments required.

I believe tha Maestrales have a slightly "thicker" toe and sole piece which may be more of a problem...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@under a new name, rockered soles probably have an effect too
snow conditions
@under a new name, getting in the binding is only half the story, it's coming out in a forward twisting fall where the front of the boot is pressing down on the ski that's the problem. Some boots now sport some plastic blocks inserted in the rubber sole for this very purpose. The rocker in the sole also greatly increases the point load and therefore the friction.
latest report
@jbob, And yet they laughed at my Dynafit Frankenboot MWAHAHAHAHA
snow report
@jbob, the fitter in question is well known around these parts... I'm taking his word for it.

Anyhoo, I reckon I'm in more danger walking up my hill in icy conditions with flat plastic soles on.
snow conditions
I have Marker Squires (I think, could be Jesters) and use them with Dynafit boots without problems. Our favourite bootfitters didn't seem to think this to be a problematic setup. So far, the bindings have released when they are supposed to.
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
@jbob, the fitter in question is well known around these parts... I'm taking his word for it.

Have you had em torque tested?

under a new name wrote:
Anyhoo, I reckon I'm in more danger walking up my hill in icy conditions with flat plastic soles on.

Assuming you're wearing a helmet and therefore limiting the chance of smashing your head up, I'd say no. You might break a wrist if you fall over, but they can be patched up and you'll be good to go in a few weeks. Snapping a knee ligament will end your season, and may well limit your off-season activities for a while, too.
snow conditions
No, really, @Serriadh, I do "reckon...", etc.

Torque tested? Get real.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
No, really, @Serriadh, I do "reckon...", etc.

Sorry, I mistook it for rationalising.

under a new name wrote:
Torque tested? Get real.

Too cool to care about facts, brah! A guy told me I'd be fine!
snow conditions
Wayyyy
Quote:
Too cool to care about "facts"
Cool Cool
snow report
@under a new name, @Serriadh, it's a combination of the rocker and the vibram on the sole of a touring boot like the Maestrale that creates the issues; remove the rocker from the mix (as with UANN's vibrammed race boots) and you're probably a bit closer to DIN release values
snow conditions
@Masque,
Quote:

indeed Very Happy
latest report
ski wrote:
@Masque,
Quote:

indeed Very Happy

- so I would need new boots wink ...

... and also, I said I wanted that I enjoyed the more precise feeling of piste skis, not that I wanted a flappier experience than alpine on my DPS 112s Toofy Grin

(actually, I WAS going to learn to telemark, to slow myself down when skiing with my son. Then I buggered my knee for a season and in the meantime he caught up with my speed).
latest report
@Arno, I don't really pay much attention to DIN values. If I can kick them off in all required directions, they're fine for general skiing. For racing I just tighten them till I can't kick them off.
snow conditions
@under a new name, fair enough; I sometimes ski with the toes locked on my dynafits so I'm not one to get too excited about exact DIN values, but some do
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Strict DIN values are not really possible on most AT setups anyway.
Personally I don't very often come out of my binding, once a season.
I haven't come out of my tech bindings in three years, except once accent when I forgot to lock them down!
I think of risk as a triangle, chance, consequence, mitigation.
If the consequence is high, but it's easy to avoid, avoid even if the chance is low.

You pays your money and you takes your chance.
snow conditions
@horizon, NTN boots are At compatible and fit a number of alpine bindings as above . . . Sweeeeet Toofy Grin besides which, if you learn to tele' you will understand why your alpine sucks.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy